Help › Forums

Better way to calculate distance and wind

Wed, Dec 5 2018 10:58 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TopFlite7
    334 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2018 12:05 PM

Hi

I use a calculator with a quick chart I got off this sight years ago to do the distance and wind speed to get me close to the target.

I've played against people in the past that don't take no time at all to hit a very close/good shot. I feel they're are not using a calculator, like myself that takes time, to figure the correct yardage.

So educate me. Is there a quicker formula to use ?

Thanks   

• pjctas0822
    4,534 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2018 12:50 PM

Repetition Repetition Repetition ..... I don't use any charts rulers guides nothing . Grip it n rip it is fun for me. 

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2018 1:24 PM

TopFlite7:

Hi

I use a calculator with a quick chart I got off this sight years ago to do the distance and wind speed to get me close to the target.

I've played against people in the past that don't take no time at all to hit a very close/good shot. I feel they're are not using a calculator, like myself that takes time, to figure the correct yardage.

Thanks   

Search the forum under game tips, there are few you can choose from. 

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2018 1:27 PM

pjctas0822:

Repetition Repetition Repetition ..... I don't use any charts rulers guides nothing . Grip it n rip it is fun for me. 

You only use charts in the beginning, after that, it’s all in your memory bank. 

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2018 2:06 PM

TopFlite7:

aside from the holes that play slightly different from the "numbers" those who are doing calculations the "fastest" are either extremely experienced players or those who instead of using a calculator are simply punching the numbers into a "spreadsheet" like excel where once they enter the numbers all of the formula's and calculations are done at once...

for the less experienced player, the spreadsheet is likely the fastest way to use the formula's and save's entering the same or similar numbers  multiple times until you reach your final "distance calculation"  … this is what I have observed on desktop players at least...

mobile players who are not sitting at a computer with a  spreadsheet are likely doing it the slower way or simply going off of their vast knowledge and experience of playing … while some of them refer to themselves as feel players... they are actually going off of experience and knowledge and mentally making the adjustments very quickly... 

think of it like a basketball player shooting free throws... it is muscle memory and experience that is almost instantaneously guiding them on how to shoot... they don't have to think about it, do the calculations their body, their eyes, take in all the information and just "know" how to shoot the ball or "hit the shot" in the case of WGT.   there is no feel the wind in your face, throw a blade of grass in the air and estimate the breeze, they look at the numbers-- wind speed, elevation change, distance to target and know quite accurately usually what to hit... or atleast close enough to give them a good look at birdie...  pretty impressive but like shooting a basketball it takes hundreds or thousands of rounds to get that much experience... 

forgot to mention... a few spreadsheets that I know have been shared or linked in the forum are Gary Pinhunters',   Bilko's, and Kat's Calc.  They each have their own nuances and other people simply create their own...

• pjctas0822
    4,534 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2018 4:03 PM

SlickHunter:

pjctas0822:

You only use charts in the beginning, after that, it’s all in your memory bank. 

Yes sir.....

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2018 10:18 PM

TopFlite7:

've played against people in the past that don't take no time at all to hit a very close/good shot. I feel they're are not using a calculator, like myself that takes time, to figure the correct yardage.

I agree practice and repetition are best for play - but you have to start somewhere - so your practice becomes useful and worth repeating!

A handy tool for wind drift (left/right movement) is the ruler and formulas that Young46 uses.  He calculates a ruler distance from the cross-wind component and provides a ruler to measure it directly on the screen.

He does play a whole lot from experience but occasionally uses the ruler (as do I - often) to move the aimer. You can find info in these forums and you can search Youtube for WGTYoung46 for some helpful videos.

• JonnoAUS
    31 Posts
    Sat, Sep 8 2018 12:24 AM

Calculators? Spreadsheets?

To play golf? What the....???

πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

• pjctas0822
    4,534 Posts
    Sat, Sep 8 2018 4:05 PM

JonnoAUS:

I know right  lol  a notepad is one thing but calcs n spreadsheets is a little bit looney . How about a macro or 2 to make sure you hit it straight too lol ...LOSERS

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sat, Sep 8 2018 5:06 PM

JonnoAUS:

To play a GAME, not golf.......

• PAGES
RSS