Help › Forums

Endgame wedges

Sun, Sep 2 2018 9:06 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Lama009
    3 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2018 6:14 AM

Good day Folks,

I am currently lvl72 and considering which wedges to upgrade to. A lot of top players use the RTX 2.0 Clevelands (lvl74-80) since the have are decently priced, availalbe early and have neat increments (60-80-100 yards). I currently use the cleveland CG16’s and like their accuracy and spin and since I am a f2p player, I use “the rock” thus the extra spin provided by the RTX’s looks really nice despite the 3.5 meter - which is an improvement from my 3.0 meter.

It seems the only way to efficiently use the top end callie wedge are to play a longer game and purposefully setting yourself up for a longer approach (76-115 yards). I have seen some players combine the two brands and always having the 60 yard RTX. 

my question to the top dogs on here is:”Is the strategy to set yourself up for longer approach shot efficient at highest tiers (master, legend etc) and does the 4.0 meter make for better approach shots compared to the shorter 3.5 meter shots?

• Woodie312
    671 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2018 5:22 PM

Lama,

If I am understanding your question you are asking, if we intentionally hit short to have a longer wedge shot?

Simple answer is No. The longer tee’s we use from the parking lot take care of this for us.

Expanded and detailed answer is also No. What I do is make use of all the shot types available. Let me say that I have never used the top tier Max, TM, or Callaway’s so I cannot speak for the variable associated with these clubs. As you stated the Cleveland’s have a Full shot spacing of 60, 80, 100; however, if you include the pitch and punch shots of these clubs you end up with a spacing chain of: 17, 25, 33, 50, 60, 68,80, 84, 100.  Basically, with these 3 clubs I can hit any distance between 15 & 100 yards and ONLY in the gaps between 34-45 & 85-89 yards do I ever have to drop below 90% power.

W

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2018 3:57 AM

RTXs are more than good enough. Dont "need" anything after that.

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2018 5:41 AM

As you have noted, the top Cleveland wedges are available at a lower level, have a nice gap between the clubs, and good specs. Since you are already using Clevelands  I would suggest sticking with them. I would also say that you should wait until you hit level 80 and purchase them as a set. 

If you play ctth games you might consider getting the 52* wedge and taking your driver out of the bag for those games. (If WGT allowed it I would take my pitching wedge out an substitute the 52* Cleveland for all rounds.)

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2018 7:26 AM

Preferably I would like to get between 25 and 52 yards. The 64 degree Clevland RTX combined with WalkOflife’s 50 yard punch chart is deadly.

• Lama009
    3 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2018 10:03 AM

Thank you Woody, that pretty much clears ot up for me.

I guess I was looking for a decent reason to get the callies but the RTX's are probably used by all the top players for a reason.

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2018 11:39 AM

I am MILES (kilometers?) away from being a top player, but I'll give my opinion anyway; like you, I'm a f2p player and I play cheap balls with no meter enhancement.  My driver, 3W, and irons are all 4.0 meter.

I opted to combine the 80 and 100 yard mid-range (L60's) Mack Daddy wedges (4.0 meter) with the top-end 60 yard Cleveland wedge (3.5 meter), because I wanted as much 4.0 meter consistency across the set as I could get, and because I actually wanted *less* spin with my longer wedges (I don't want my 65-100 yards shots backing up any appreciable distance - I want them hitting and stopping on a dime - and the L60's MD wedges have enough spin to achieve that in almost any conditions).  I do like having the higher spin on my shortest wedge, because it comes in handy on less-than-full shots around the green (but I still wish that club had 4.0 meter instead of 3.5).

Re: laying back further for your approaches, you won't find that a problem when you get to the legend tier - the tees are far enough back that you'll be hitting your approaches with long irons (or woods) most of the time anyway.  :-)

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2018 12:01 PM

borntobesting:
    The 64 degree Clevland RTX combined with WalkOflife’s 50 yard punch chart is deadly.

+1

• Lama009
    3 Posts
    Wed, Aug 15 2018 2:28 PM

Very insightful thanks. You make some good points with regards to meter consistency and spin on longer wedges. I think I will go the same route. 

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Thu, Aug 16 2018 8:49 AM

Vaibhav5viv:

RTXs are more than good enough. Dont "need" anything after that.

+1 Also the Cleveland wedges were the top wedges for a very long time . These were the go to wedges for years before the Mac Daddy wedges were developed . This is why you will see that the majority of top players have them . Once you get the Cleveland wedges there will be no reason to upgrade to the Mac Daddy wedges .

Also the Mac Daddy wedges dont have a 64 degree wedge . This is their short coming and to many players dismay .It made no sense to us as players as to why the wedges were made this way . Which is also why many of the top players dont have them as well .

• PAGES
RSS