Forums

Help › Forums

Swilken Burn bug on SA #1

Fri, Aug 24 2018 1:51 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DarthMo0
    43 Posts
    Sat, Aug 4 2018 11:06 AM

This is the second (and third I guess) time it's happened to me. The first time with a tailwind, I drove to within ten yards of the burn with 29 yards to go. I hit my punch 64° (49 yards) at about 55% like I've done in other holes dozens of times 

Somehow the shot went straight into the water. I figured it was because I missed the ding and things get dicey when you take shots around 50% or lower. Next shot was normal and I went on with the round.

Well, just the other day, I had a strong tailwind and the drive went further than I wanted, around ten yards from the burn, 24 from the hole. This time I tried a flop shot, and again, straight into the water.

The next shot moved me forward, now 18 yards out. I hit a pitch which should have carried the burn without an issue, but nope, plunk again.

What's going on here? This was a tournament so it ruined that on top of losing two new balls. I forfeited the round because I didn't know how many balls it would cheaply swallow up. Has anyone else experienced this? 

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sat, Aug 4 2018 6:36 PM

I've seen plenty of balls go in the water there. Usually when folks drive too close to the water.

There really is no need to get that close to the water off the tee. Much better results from leaving an easy 50 to 60 yard wedge that you can stop within a yard or two of the hole for an easy birdie.

If I'm teeing off with a tailwind (and I'm playing from the tips), I'll hit a 3 wood on that hole.

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Sat, Aug 4 2018 6:42 PM

DarthMo0:
    29 yards to go. I hit my punch 64° (49 yards) at about 55% like I've done in other holes dozens of times 

You more than likely need to hit that punch shot around the 70% power range, plus or minus a bit depending on your clubs and balls. The wind isn't going to effect the distance too much due to the shorter distance of the shot, but it will have some effect.

It looks like you could benefit from mapping your clubs. After you map your clubs, I would suggest taking 2% off your punch for that hole.

• DarthMo0
    43 Posts
    Sat, Aug 4 2018 6:49 PM

K7JBQ:

I've seen plenty of balls go in the water there. Usually when folks drive too close to the water.

There really is no need to get that close to the water off the tee. Much better results from leaving an easy 50 to 60 yard wedge that you can stop within a yard or two of the hole for an easy birdie.

If I'm teeing off with a tailwind (and I'm playing from the tips), I'll hit a 3 wood on that hole.

Oh, I know; I tried to leave it short for an easy edge but with the tailwind it rolled 75 yards with my 3-wood. Not often you hit a 324 3-wood. But still, the ball essentially dumped straight into the burn and visually never got more than a yard off the ground. 

• Woodie312
    671 Posts
    Sun, Aug 5 2018 3:40 AM

ItsTooSweet:

DarthMo0:
    29 yards to go. I hit my punch 64° (49 yards) at about 55% like I've done in other holes dozens of times 

It looks like you could benefit from mapping your clubs. After you map your clubs, I would suggest taking 2% off your punch for that hole.

I never punch under 85% it is too dicey of a shot and very difficult to control the ball on landing due to very little spin is transfered on a weak hit.

29 yds to go I would recomend either:

Option A)

the 64 played at full swing with about 20% backspin that is about 1/2 the clubs rated dist so add 10% and you should come out all right. The ball is gonna land a little short and roll out close. The backspin is not to stop the ball but to help get it up into the air because of the soft hit, I do this at least once a game with a clevland 64 similar to yours.

Option B)

Pitch the ball with full backspin. To me this is the option, but you really need to map the wedges out to get a good feel for which one and what power for different shot types.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sun, Aug 5 2018 5:05 AM

Woodie312:
    Option A)

the 64 played at full swing with about 20% backspin that is about 1/2 the clubs rated dist so add 10% and you should come out all right. The ball is gonna land a little short and roll out close. The backspin is not to stop the ball but to help get it up into the air because of the soft hit, I do this at least once a game with a clevland 64 similar to yours.

This will be fine with you L80 Cleves, but it may still be risky with his L7 wedges.

I suspect them to have a performance close to Starters. If so, only full and punch shots, and only 80-100 % power - otherwise, they become unpredictable.

In case of doubt, play beyond the flag and putt back.

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Sun, Aug 5 2018 6:50 AM

Be very careful using backspin on #1 @ St A because it is possible to watch the ball roll off the green and into the burn.

It is also wot noting that you can get an unplayable lie on #1 by hitting the tee shot to the very edge of the burn, ending against the low wall. Then WGT announces a free drop and you get to make your next shot. 

• club578
    561 Posts
    Sun, Aug 5 2018 7:52 AM

hi map out your clubs on kiawah #1

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Sun, Aug 5 2018 8:01 AM

Woodie312:
    I never punch under 85% it is too dicey of a shot and very difficult to control the ball on landing due to very little spin is transfered on a weak hit.

Interesting comment; I have my 50 punch mapped from 8 yds to 52 yds. No problem ever being dicey. Jo (WalkOfLiFe) also posted a 50 yd punch chart in the forums as well. The main point was OP didn't use enough power.

• Riverdude10
    2 Posts
    Thu, Aug 23 2018 11:07 AM

Yes, I have had the same thing happen to me.  I lost 3 good balls!  It was as if the water was magnetic and the ball was steel.  It's either a bug or a good way to sell more balls.

• PAGES
RSS