Help › Forums

WHat's the point of tiers?

Sun, Sep 15 2019 3:55 PM (47 replies)
  • hvghghffhb
    13 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 5:45 PM

Have to ask...

Why should I go up a tier, or even try?

Do I gain new "skills" that give me better distance, and accuracy? Meter speed? Or does it just move me back on the tee boxes?

Can anyone illustrate that if they tell me yes, that is the case? You get better "this that and the other"?

Why the heck would I keep trying to get to higher tiers if all it does is move me back on tee boxes? 

Why wouldn't I just stay where I am at, and get to level 97+ and get the best equipment???? Who wants to give up distance just to satisfy my "ego" with a title???

Anyone? Bueller???

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 6:35 PM

hvghghffhb:

Have to ask...

Why should I go up a tier, or even try?

Do I gain new "skills" that give me better distance, and accuracy? Meter speed? Or does it just move me back on the tee boxes?

Can anyone illustrate that if they tell me yes, that is the case? You get better "this that and the other"?

Why the heck would I keep trying to get to higher tiers if all it does is move me back on tee boxes? 

Why wouldn't I just stay where I am at, and get to level 97+ and get the best equipment???? Who wants to give up distance just to satisfy my "ego" with a title???

Anyone? Bueller???

You're not trying to get to higher tiers, you should be striving to get better, higher tiers are a  testament that you have succeded. But, according to your scores, on one of the easiest courses for lower tiers, you are in no danger tiering up .  Try other courses, shoot better scores, you will soon understand, there is no pride in your logic! 

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 6:43 PM

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 7:01 PM

@Robert

Maybe, depending on his age, he's a product of the philosophy, that everyone plays, and everyone that plays is a winner. Receiving an award for doing better than peers, is a foreign policy?  I'm not trying to trash anyone, but I just can't see the logic in his thinking, other than sandbagging. 

• LEDzZzEPP
    501 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 7:16 PM

FOR ME, its just a fancy statement this game has created to put players back & back in the tee, & at the same time offer ''better equip'' to sell in the shop

btw, with four tiers would be enough:

Amateur

Pro

Master

Legend

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 9:49 PM

Golf, by its nature, is a game no one can ever master. The great ones can get close, on a given day. And sometimes -- at least for a day -- solve its mysteries.

For most of us, it's a case of two steps forward and one step back -- and that's on a good day.

It's why we keep playing the game, and keep playing WGT as well. We are all driven to get better. Simple as that.

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Tue, Jul 31 2018 5:41 AM

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Tue, Jul 31 2018 6:17 AM

My mate wanted to play off front lady tees once in real life.

He said we can then claim to have went round in 70/ 80s instead of our normal late 80 scores. 

Nah! Ya cheating knacker I replied.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Tue, Jul 31 2018 7:57 AM

In real life, playing from the forward tees is encouraged here to make the game quicker and more enjoyable. I would never claim a great score from those tees, however, without qualifying it with a "from the front tees", "from the red tees" or something similar.

With my wife just taking up the game I've recently played from the red tees a couple of times when it's just the two of us. It makes the game quicker since we're not getting out of the cart so I can hit a tee shot, then getting into the cart to drive to a different tee box and getting out so she can hit her tee shot on almost every hole. For me, it changes club selection and tee shot placement change a lot.  I also get to practice shorter irons into the greens instead of longer irons and hybrids. I actually find it to be a refreshing new look at courses I've played for years.

Handicap committees from the governing bodies provide adjustments for each set of tees so a male playing from the "reds" isn't getting an unfair advantage over those playing from the "whites" or "blues".

It's too bad WGT doesn't take tee boxes into account for scoring and handicapping purposes.It would actually be very simple to do. Simply don't consider any total round score from tees shorter than the ones designated by the tier. People could still play from them but those scores couldn't be used to tier up. That would relieve a lot of the aggravation expressed by members in these forums over the years regarding "red tee legends".

Personally, my opinion is that those "cheaters" only hurt themselves in the long run. They're ill-equipped to handle the game when faced with a legitimate opponent on tier-appropriate tees.

To each his own is still the order of the day..

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 31 2018 8:03 AM

hvghghffhb:
    Why wouldn't I just stay where I am at, and get to level 97+ and get the best equipment????

hvghghffhb:
    Who wants to give up distance just to satisfy my "ego" with a title???

How's that for irony? Get the good equipment so you can pound on the kids from the junior tees. That does wonders for the ego. LOL

RSS