Forums

Help › Forums

Surely its Time to open up Tour Champion tier

Mon, Nov 12 2018 6:11 AM (38 replies)
  • el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2018 1:26 PM

Williams01210021:
    People with 5,000 (half a mill) would need to be winning a lot each day for a long time.

fair point... was just sharing that career earnings can be misleading as well...

there was another thread on this topic not too long ago... and Dazza offers a interesting idea regarding "tour status" or something along those lines.  

The only challenge is I think he mentioned players going up and down in tier status and from my knowledge WGT doesn't lower anyone once they have progressed to another tier... it may be a huge factor in some players restarting... IDK...

As I give it some more thought, I wonder if part of the solution or momentum to seeing the top tier opened up is also finding a way for WGT to also see value in how it is in their best interest as well...  while we can come up with some great ideas … we don't know or have all the details or contributing factors they are taking into consideration or what may be holding it up... the main factor everyone assumes is that it has to be profit based first and foremost but they may be other factors as well...

Regardless, it leaves us trying to solve a puzzle without all of the pieces to the puzzle so while we spend a lot of time speculating... it seems we are merely doing nothing more than "mental masturbation" because it allows us to vent, grapple and get a little release of tension or frustration grappling with a problem perceived before us while we wait for things to evolve or develop... : )  still difficult to say for certain just more MM, I guess.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2018 4:04 PM

I've gone back, and reread opinions on this, tried to read with a very open mind.  In doing so, I went and found the old thread on this, and tried to incorporate the mindset, of most. I have only played on here just under 2 yrs, so I wasn't around when there wasn't a champion tier.  Some of the comments, from back then, are the same as today, only by different people.  

Obviously, wgt didn't prepare for many to rise to great heights, so they had to scramble to compensate, with the champion tier. Yet again, they didn't look ahead, to see that the same thing might happen. Unfortunately , it has, and now what? If they open up the tour champion ti er, then how long before they need to think about it before, the need for what, Legendary Champion?  Now by what criteria do we use? Some are complaining, that they can't beat the top players, so we forcibly move those up. No ,wait, let's use the tour card system, but what if some don't want to play a tour for promotion, now they are still winning the same  tourneys, and as before, you still cant win. So let's force them up, by using avgs, ( or something else) but wait some are red tee " bad" champs, or not real champions. Can they compete in champion tourneys, what do we do now, with them?  Is that next tier promotion that prestigious, or are people just tired of not being able to win? Let's face it, it's a no win situation for wgt, and as I asked the question earlier, to what advantage is it to wgt, to go through all of what it might take to solve this? Would there be any kind of profit in it for them? Imo, I don't think that they see that it will, or they would have implemented something. Sorry for the lengthy response! 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2018 4:33 PM

Luckystar5:
    found the old thread on this,

not sure which one you found, but I recalled this discussion but it was in a thread on "release notes" and buried in the discussion after the first 9 pages or so discussing new balls released.  it can make the discussion hard to find otherwise.  not sure if this is the one you were referring to though.  

thanks for confirmation Dazz,(see below) your post began at the bottom of page 11 in case others become intrigued to explore...rather than hunting all over until they find where it begins...

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2018 4:41 PM
    Yes thats the 1 where i suggested a tour card system like in real golf. I think it would work. I'd like to see it happen. I think all the top players would love it and it would make the game exciting & interesting again.
  • Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2018 4:46 PM

I was looking at threads as far back as 2015. 

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2018 4:50 PM

Luckystar5:

Obviously, wgt didn't prepare for many to rise to great heights, so they had to scramble to compensate, with the champion tier. Yet again, they didn't look ahead, to see that the same thing might happen. Unfortunately , it has, and now what? If they open up the tour champion ti er, then how long before they need to think about it before, the need for what, Legendary Champion?  Now by what criteria do we use? Some are complaining, that they can't beat the top players, so we forcibly move those up. No ,wait, let's use the tour card system, but what if some don't want to play a tour for promotion, now they are still winning the same  tourneys, and as before, you still cant win. So let's force them up, by using avgs, ( or something else) but wait some are red tee " bad" champs, or not real champions. Can they compete in champion tourneys, what do we do now, with them?  Is that next tier promotion that prestigious, or are people just tired of not being able to win? Let's face it, it's a no win situation for wgt, and as I asked the question earlier, to what advantage is it to wgt, to go through all of what it might take to solve this? Would there be any kind of profit in it for them? Imo, I don't think that they see that it will, or they would have implemented something. Sorry for the lengthy response! 

There's got to be incentive for the top players to want to go.  No doubt if it was optional some would simply opt out and clean up in the Champion tier even more b/c some would have made the jump.

I think it's clear by arguments made that the criteria can't be average or career earnings, so I''m kind of liking Dazza's idea.  It would be completely optional (by invite) of course but the incentive for them to opt in is the tournaments on the tour or in tour champ have larger purses.  Funding them isn't a problem because I'm sure WGT can do whatever they want with credits.  i.e.  they aren't using real dollars to fund them.

Finally, anything they add to the game increases profit and this would be no different if it came to light.  

What does WGT get though?  The same thing they get by adding Wolf Creek -- more people interested in the game.  The same thing they got by adding Titleist.  

• Romax
    1,876 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2018 6:28 PM

The game is a slot machine for gamblers and a social site for honest people with good values. Pick your poison, but tiers mean little to me...unless I can be TM again.  ;)

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2018 7:12 PM

I'm just wondering how,, by promoting just 100 or 200,  would be good for business? Your not thinning the champ tier by much at all! Those that are complaining, would still be doing so. But it's probably not relevant , because, they probably aren't going to do anything, anyways! 

• Williams01210021
    1,231 Posts
    Thu, Jul 26 2018 3:34 AM

I think the tour card/Wgt Professional would be a great idea. How to implement it? Maybe have it so that anyone who wins a WGT Weekly (champ tier) and Monthly one gets their tour card or professional status for a year. 

They could really take this far and do it well. have some big tournaments like the Wgt Majors that only tour card/professionals can enter, plus a few qualifying events to have some amateurs (not amateur tiers, anyone who qualifies)  in as well. 

As for a business sense, well lets face it alot of the top players dont need credits, they have enough for years. So do they need as many credits up for grabs for that group? Also the main thing is a new idea for the game, keeps people interested. They could do some good rewards for these players that get to this stage, i dunno their books but they got to be good, A few trips to some golf clubs or events would surely be in their budget and also free publicity to the game. Invite the people to a new course they are shooting, have a fun day event, get some social media attention. Look at some of the big online games like Fortnite. They do so much stuff for some of their top players. Yes this is golf so for most not as exciting but would still get alot of extra attention. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Jul 26 2018 4:02 AM

I would like to see some of the skill based options discussed be implemented.

Good discussion.  

WGT / TG have long since taken the view that badge chasing is where the revenue is.  As many as possible clashing with all the smoke they want blown up their rears and all doing it at the highest level, "chump". 

A whole new tier with hardly a golden putter ever seen, if at all, and tees not bright red with pizzas is against the tide since skill went out the window for tiers.  

I hope they reconsider and find a way to get something like this going on a skill based platform.  There will be a market for it, it's just that I fear resource v perceived return will keep it sidelined.

RSS