Forums

Help › Forums

*Update* Virtual U.S. Amateur

Mon, Sep 3 2018 12:16 PM (91 replies)
  • JoeMaverick
    843 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2018 11:47 PM

DodgyPutter:
    I'm also surprised that the same people/countries are eligible to win prizes and credits from other wgt competitions, and cash in these credits for vouchers etc etc.

Unfortunately I think it's 2 differents things. There's a law in Belgium against "lotery games", a lotery game is a game where you have to spend money to win a prize, with a random part. So WGT itself is not a lotery game (you can play for free, or you can pay without a prize to win), but the VUSO is definitively against the Belgium law, by definition (you can't win it without buying equipment).

You don't play to WGT to win Amazon cards, it's just a reward in case of you are good enough (like in a funfair). That's why I think it's different...

...But in practice it's not true, because it's impossible to win the VUSO without being good enough to play to WGT without spending 1$. The last time I bought equipment it was in 2014, and I've earned much more Amazon cards than what I have spent on WGT. So in practice I have not spent money to win the VUSO. 

Of couse I'm not a lawyer...

DodgyPutter:
    Surly there's something they could say without any risk, "Congratulations to JoeMaverick on his great play to shoot 222 in the VUSO, the lowest by two strokes" for instance.

+1. I'm the only VUSO winner who didn't have got his news. And now I think I'm also the first VUSO winner who have streamed the 4 rounds.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2018 1:21 AM

WGTicon:

Guys,

As you all know, we want the best players to win, of course. BUT, as you also know that we have to follow country's laws and unfortunately some of them are either outdated or stem from other reasons or apply to a different activity that has been thrown under the same umbrella. 

It's not ideal, but it is what is is :(

Thanks for the reply.

I have to accept that only People in "the fifty United States and the District of Columbia, Canada (excluding Quebec), the United Kingdom, Germany, Australia, Norway, Ireland, The Netherlands, and South Korea" are eligible and folk from the other 186 Countries,  because of their law, are not.  I do remain surprised. 

Would this apply to the whole prize or could the trip and vouchers be treated separately?  Sorry if that's a bit daft but the reason I wondered is wgt sponsored this as they do the weeklies, monthlies, virtual tour etc etc, even the qualifier for this, in all of these Joe wins credits which he then turns into vouchers.

And please, could you make some sort of announcement about who won/scored lowest in the biggest tournament you have.

Appologies also for pushing what is a side issue to this thread although it may become a fairly big one in the latter stages of this competition.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2018 1:40 AM

JoeMaverick:
    Unfortunately I think it's 2 differents things. There's a law in Belgium against "lotery games", a lotery game is a game where you have to spend money to win a prize, with a random part. So WGT itself is not a lotery game (you can play for free, or you can pay without a prize to win), but the VUSO is definitively against the Belgium law, by definition (you can't win it without buying equipment).

It may be much what I've said before but as I'm talking about you I thought I should reply, at least in part, to you.

I still don't see how the VUSO differs from the VT and surely rg's etc where you pay an entry fee are worse.  This is a skill game but  as the wind isn't the same for everyone then there is a random  element, deviation could be another. 

• abbielb
    1,800 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2018 2:28 AM

if wgt cannot pay the prize to the winner then in my view its wrong that they allow all the people non eligable to enter.........sure these people can enter and buy balls but they cannot win the prize........your ethics wgt are non existant.........

• russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2018 3:47 AM

zagraniczniak:

DodgyPutter:
    Anyway even if that's true why has there been no announcement of this or last years winner of the VUSO from wgt? I think what saddens Joe most is there has been no acknowledgement of him even winning it, never mind the remarkable achievement of back to back wins.

Actually typing that I started to hear the reply "If they said he won he then he may be able to claim the prize."

Surly there's something they could say without any risk, "Congratulations to JoeMaverick on his great play to shoot 222 in the VUSO, the lowest by two strokes" for instance.

So we never really knew who won last year's VUSO?? Wow. There's nothing in the rules saying that the champion has to be the one to win the prize - if the champion is ineligible for the prize. So, the champion could one person while the prize winner is another person - the highest ranking player who was actually eligible for the prize.

It does make you wonder why we don't know last years winner,as Joe was told they wouldn't be announcing it in the forums.I wonder why?? To balance it out we don't know who won last years sweepstakes part of the tournament either.

I don't mean to open up a can of worms,but lets look at last years result..

1st Joe Maverick.....not eligible

2nd Woodoworkery.....says he turned it down for tax purposes

3rd Birchi......eligible but hasn't been told he won it as next eligible player

Things that make you go hmmmm lol.

Russell

• ujjbnjk
    2,126 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2018 5:15 AM

How about making this tournament with a enter fee like the rgs? Then the *law* problem would fly out the window... To me this tournament sounds like wgt wants to set up a big tournament with all the best players n see who ends up doing it best... Only top 32 moves on from qualify... Not like the US open where 156+ ties moves on... Only the best of the best players will have a serious chance to win this... And I can't see anyone having a problem with paying a small fee to be able to have a chance of making it to a live event. As it is now a great number of the best players in the game won't even have a chance of winning it.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2018 5:24 AM

abbielb:

if wgt cannot pay the prize to the winner then in my view its wrong that they allow all the people non eligable to enter.........sure these people can enter and buy balls but they cannot win the prize........your ethics wgt are non existant.........

Nothing wrong with their ethics . If you look it up there is a listing of the countries that are eligible to win prizes . If you dont see your country then ask C/S to find out . WGT isnt going to list every country that isnt qualified to enter or play for prizes . So its up to the player to make sure that they can play .

In some countries WGT is viewed as a gaming or gambling site . In those countries where either gambling or online gambling is not allowed , then players can not play and win prizes .This also applies to states within the US as well so dont assume that all US residents are playing the game . Thats just the way it goes .

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2018 5:38 AM

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2018 5:51 AM

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 18 2018 6:38 AM

TopShelf2010:
    As the name implies, how about having the Virtual U.S. Amateur open only to those players whose tier is Amateur or less.

LMAO. When I saw the title of the thread my first thought was wondering how many restarts there'd be to qualify for this.  :-D

RSS