Forums

Help › Forums

Mack Daddy 64 degree wedge

Tue, Aug 6 2019 2:38 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Chicubs10
    24 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2018 12:32 PM

Why not come out with a 64 degree Mack Daddy wedge to compliment the 56 and 60 degree wedges.  Make it 50 yards in distance and then there is nice spacing.......50, 75 and 100 yards

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2018 1:14 PM

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2018 2:38 PM

When I inquired about this, I believe I was told that the reason we don't see one is because Callaway does not make a 64 deg wedge and the "clubs" available on WGT simulate what is also available in the real world. 

However, a search on the web will show that Callaway does appear to offer a 64 deg wedge in various models in at least 2 forms... the Mack Daddy PM grind and the Mack Daddy 4 Platinum.  

I guess it is possible for them to eventually make this available but it appears they are putting more effort into making sure mobile users can change the color of the sponsor apparel rather than potential "matching clubs" for users.  

Now, before that is taken as being overly critical, we did see a release of new Titleist Clubs for entry level players.  So, I am holding out a little hope that they will consider releasing some Vokey Wedges or the "missing" Mack Daddy in the realm of a 64 deg to complement the existing line in the higher levels but it is really hard to say.  

The 64 deg is far more marketable and applicable to this game than the 52 deg wedge that plays to 115y which I believe is likely only purchased as a mistake by some not realizing how redundant it becomes by overlapping so closely with the PW in most iron sets in the game.  As such the 52 deg appears to be a wasted offering and I don't know of anyone that plays it but I could be wrong.  I have seen a one or two players on WGT that carry 4 wedges but that is very rare!  

updated (I was wrong about the 52 deg to an extent) there are a couple players Peter in particular (Ujjbnjk) that plays the 52 deg wedge and would swear by it... given his proficiency in the game... I have to admit it isn't a complete waste like I first thought.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Tue, Jul 30 2019 10:14 AM

I thought we were so close to getting the anticipated wedge when I noticed new PM grind 19 wedges and the Vokey line that I had referenced in my previous post but it seems this release at least they still are not being presented / offered.  The new "images" look great but they appear identical to the previous wedges offered.  : (  

That said, from what I have seen there are a number of other issues or glitches that have come up so this will likely be the least of WGT's concern at the moment.  

• 1irony
    415 Posts
    Tue, Jul 30 2019 1:02 PM

el3n1:

When I inquired about this, I believe I was told that the reason we don't see one is because Callaway does not make a 64 deg wedge and the "clubs" available on WGT simulate what is also available in the real world. 

WGT obviously isn't telling the truth there as, like you mentioned, Callaway does produce 64 degree wedges and Titleist does not.

Cheers,

Darren

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Tue, Jul 30 2019 1:21 PM
    Thanks Darren... I tried not to go that far so as not to offend by suggesting they had not been fully transparent.. when I dug through some of the wedges offered by Callaway the possibility arose that they may not have offered a 64 in the "forged" with blue dot line whereas it could still be found in PM grind and other lines... I thought maybe there was a contractual agreement that may have led to the limited release, but when I saw the PM grind line come out in the recent release... I did have a pause because Phil obviously plays a 64 and would not have excluded his go to lob wedge in a line of wedges he was putting his cooperative efforts into designing... it was why I was hopeful a 64 would be released. the new PM grind wedges look very sharp no doubt but they are identical in specs to what we already have... it becomes very hard to justify paying for virtually a new Image with identical specs.
  • Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Tue, Jul 30 2019 2:10 PM

• PAT3361
    50 Posts
    Tue, Jul 30 2019 2:34 PM

Apologies up front as my input here is not directly related to the initial discussion on the Mack Daddy 64 degree wedge, but is more a general point regarding equipment. As someone has already mentioned in this thread Callaway don't do a 64 degree wedge hence why WGT don't have one, as its not available in the real world, (fair point) in the real world though no matter what level your H'cap may be you can (in the real world) walk into any Pro shop or golf superstore and buy whatever Equipment you can afford, from the cheapest to the top of the range, why then do wit insist on locking certain items until a particular level is reached??? I am getting pretty annoyed at the number of times I play against a player who can be anything from Tour Pro to tour Master but they are up to 9 or even 10 levels above me (I am approaching level 93) and as such have access to equipment not available to me added to that the 50 or 60 yard advantage they get from the tee it is pretty ridiculous and just spoils the game as its gonna be a one horse race pretty much!! why don't wit just open the doors on all equipment so you can buy what you like just like in the REAL WORLD,

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Tue, Aug 6 2019 5:40 AM

#PAT3361 - I think the intent is to make people get proficient from the ground up before they start getting better equipment. Not saying I agree, but I am glad I was forced to learn along the way before getting decent gear.

As far as Level 103 Tour Pros and the like, IMHO ones level balanced with their tier says a lot about how they play the game. Once I reached level 85 I was embarrassed that I was still a TM so I buckled down and got better, played more ranked games. I am satisfied at the moment, but once I start creeping up to Level 100 it will be time to make my move for TL.

• PAGES
RSS