Forums

Help › Forums

Question for the members

Sun, Jul 26 2020 9:49 AM (140 replies)
  • lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2018 3:38 PM

If you want to work that hard to play the game , then go for it . Me I play by feel and all memory . Its not that difficult and it only requires basic simple math . To me the gadgets seem to be more of a distraction than a helper .

Nothing that they are using to me will beat good course management proper club and shot selection . I also dont see how a spread sheet will make you a better putter . I have seen the threads about all of the different formulas for putting and charting wind speed . But again I dont want to work that hard to play the game .

So unless a player is using something to click the meter for them or even play the game for them . Then to me its not cheating . Whats the difference between using a ruler to putt with or using a putter pal ? Players using rulers is what made WGT develop the putter / shot pal .

So its no big deal . In real golf players take notes and have course books . Players taking notes and using most of the tools mentioned is why there is a note book in the pro shop now .So you see its no big deal . What ever rocks their boat so be it . Play well have fun and just enjoy the game . Because after all this is only a game .

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2018 4:27 PM

lonniescott711:

If you want to work that hard to play the game , then go for it . Me I play by feel and all memory . Its not that difficult and it only requires basic simple math . To me the gadgets seem to be more of a distraction than a helper .

Nothing that they are using to me will beat good course management proper club and shot selection . I also dont see how a spread sheet will make you a better putter . I have seen the threads about all of the different formulas for putting and charting wind speed . But again I dont want to work that hard to play the game .

The spreadsheets are simple math.  Whether you use a spreadsheet or "play by feel" that requires simple math it is *exactly* the same thing.  What actual calculations take place are irrelevant.  The very fact that someone does ANY calculating at all by definition isn't someone who plays by feel.

IMO

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2018 5:52 PM

I quit playing a couple of years ago but when I played I used the putter pal, shot pal and putting spreadsheet. The first two because the game provided them, making them legal aids. The spreadsheet I see as no different than a PGA pro adding notes to his notebook each time he plays a round and each time he plays a particular course. Those spreadsheets and charts you refer to are just an expanded notebook; those players who use them still have to execute the shot.

Manipulating software electronically is a totally different issue. Finding ways to get the computer to slow down the meter or actually do anything mechanically outside of how the game is programmed I do view as cheating.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2018 6:51 PM

You guys are starting to sidetrack. The question was spreadsheets, rulers for moving the marker( that the spreadsheet tells you where to put it, protractors that tells you the clock hand location, now a ruler to tell you the spin dot location. Stopwatches to time the dots, to put that avg into a spreadsheet that tells you where to put the marker on the green to make the putt.

Do you think this is the intent WGT had in mind to play the game? 

The problem is you say cheat, and the first word that pops in your head is an auto dinger.

You have guys that have been here for 7-9 years , and now you have guys that been here 1-3 years keeping up with them. Something is not right, and I think it is due to all these aids that are available.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2018 9:27 PM

You may call it "not right", but those spreadsheets and protractors, on paper or on the screen, are just additional efforts. The T&Cs tell us what is illegal - it's tampering with the program, but not an additional ruler.

When it comes to the intent or to "spirit of the game", that's a difficult and probably floating issue. /methinks that the company, just like the 18th century gents, had and have money in their minds, not recreation, skills or fairness.

Add that this is an online computer game. Our values are strictly limited to our side of the screen, but certainly not per se transferable to all players.

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Jul 11 2018 1:05 AM

I've seen a lot of these aids used. Myself I could not be bothered to do it.

If it means me staying an average Dan and cursing that I forgot that a hole played longer or the dots lied then so be it. Hell I don't even take notes.

But that's my choice. I generally have to rush rounds anyway and would not get them all finished if I delayed some.

Plus I just would not enjoy it.

Just answering how I feel....no gun shots please.

• bery111
    3,859 Posts
    Wed, Jul 11 2018 2:46 AM

bubbsboy:

If it means me staying an average Dan and cursing that I forgot that a hole played longer or the dots lied then so be it. Hell I don't even take notes.

But that's my choice. I generally have to rush rounds anyway and would not get them all finished if I delayed some.

^^^^^^That's me down to a tee (no pun intended!) Bubbs. Have always played by feel/remembering what happens on a particular hole. Probably get 60% of shots where I sort of want them to go, and a rare few exactly where I wanted them to go.

I remember one occasion asking Shov what I should play on that par 3 at Chambers (tee up high, green down below - and a hole I am absolutely useless on) when there was a huge tail wind. He suggested a driver. LMAO

But I enjoy the game for what it is - and more so for playing with members of the CC and wider community. If I took it too seriously I'd be banging my head against the wall! :D

At the end of the day, it's down to the individual. I'm not here to comment on how others play, it's whatever floats your boat.

• jason01291
    411 Posts
    Wed, Jul 11 2018 3:50 AM

Grt thought to put this post up sir

No disrespect to anyone

Those you mentioned above (rulers protractors spreadsheets...etc..) are more used by pc players

Most of the Mobile players don't use them I feel...many doesn't know how to also

Not much time in coin games to use all that

Sure this game to played by feel and mind.....using extra gadgets....would only cause disadvantage to others...

That said...I don't think those top Champions would find it difficult to play..

They may not hit 50's on 30mph winds and championship greens but..... without above mentioned things I feel they would have more fun

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Jul 11 2018 5:19 AM

bery111:

bubbsboy:

I remember one occasion asking Shov what I should play on that par 3 at Chambers (tee up high, green down below - and a hole I am absolutely useless on) when there was a huge tail wind. He suggested a driver. LMAO

Lol......that was Brian. Top stuff.

RSS