Forums

Help › Forums

Common sense, or nonsense

Fri, Jul 13 2018 12:17 PM (42 replies)
  • Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Jul 1 2018 1:36 PM

In the last couple weeks, I've had 2 of my friends asking me about the Odyssey L 98 putter.  The first one, went ahead and decided to purchase it, but couldn't make up his mind between the two, due to the scale differences. Anyway after the second inquiry,  I stated looking at the pro shop, in the differences in putters.  It really boggles me as to why wgt would offer a higher level putter, with lower specs (TM spider),  to higher leveled up players.  Does this make sense, or am I missing something?  

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Mon, Jul 2 2018 7:45 AM

Luckystar5:
    It really boggles me as to why wgt would offer a higher level putter, with lower specs (TM spider),  to higher leveled up players.  Does this make sense, or am I missing something?  

The TM Red Spider putters use to be the Nike Method putter and was the best in the shop for a long time. Odyssey had the level 96 putter, but that wasn't really noticeably any better than the earlier Odyssey putters (lvl 70, 86). Then Odyssey introduced the Sabertooth putter. This Sabertooth has better specs and was offered at lower levels.

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Mon, Jul 2 2018 8:11 AM

I still think the OP has a valid question.

I believe, the TM Red Spider is only better in terms of balance. And there's only a .2 difference.

Overall, I think the Sabertooth is a better putter. So, what's the logic in introducing a putter at a higher level that appears to be lower quality than an existing putter? The cost difference between the putters is (IMO) negligible. 

Have to agree that it doesn't appear to make sense. Would anyone actually buy the TM Red putter over the Sabertooth? 

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Mon, Jul 2 2018 10:39 AM

After I thought about it a bit, I did think of a good rationale for why WGT would position the putters the way they did. This could be a classic marketing approach in which a lesser alternative is offered next or near a higher-priced product to make it more attractive.

In his work on predictable irrationality, Dan Ariely outlines it. Here's one of his early presentations:

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Jul 2 2018 10:56 AM

Robert1893:

After I thought about it a bit, I did think of a good rationale for why WGT would position the putters the way they did. This could be a classic marketing approach in which a lesser alternative is offered next or near a higher-priced product to make it more attractive.

In his work on predictable irrationality, Dan Ariely outlines it. Here's one of his early presentations:

That's quite possibly the answer.  When I first went into the pro shop, putter section, my heart jumped at the thought.  Wgt gave us better clubs ( at our higher level) and now a better putter too, I was elated.  Then after comparing it with my Sabertooth , is when reality set in, and I said to myself that this was nuts, or a mistake.  

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Jul 2 2018 12:52 PM

ive seen plenty of people that use the thing in coin games. 

note: i don't get it either. 

but then again i've seen people use all manner of clubs while leveling up and i don't understand alot of those choices either.

• Dneirf
    417 Posts
    Mon, Jul 9 2018 12:44 AM

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Mon, Jul 9 2018 7:38 AM

Dneirf:
    At the Tour Legend Tier

Well, I wouldn't know what it's like putting at that tier. It's too long ago for me to remember. 

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Mon, Jul 9 2018 9:25 AM

This doesn't explain why so many top tier players are successful using the starter putter.

The key is being able to read the greens...the actual putter is secondary.

ct

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Jul 9 2018 11:03 AM

Curiosity got the best of me, so I rented the spider.  After playing 54 holes, I've come to the conclusion, that I would highly recommend the spider over the sabertooth.  But only because it's cheaper!  I can't tell any difference between the two putters, or at least anything that would warrant me spending the cash for. But anyone whom doesn't have either one, and is looking to upgrade, save the few dollars and get the spider. My rental is good for a 36 hour period, I'll keep playing it til then, that way the comparison should be an acceptable test. 

RSS