Putting Stats Question

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 20 2018 5:14 AM (20 replies)
  • ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 9:07 PM

Had a couple of questions about these two stats and what they mean:

Putting Avg. Per Hole: 1.45

Does this mean if someone had an avg of 1.0 they are basically birdying every hole?

Does this mean that 55% of the time I make it on the 1st putt? (2 putts per hole would be par). My One Putt % is 53.73.

If there are 18 putts in a 9 hole game. 9 x 1.45 = 13.05 putts are taken, so my average is approximately -5 (18-13) for 9 holes, -10 for 18 holes?

Putting Avg. Per Round: 15.04

In an 18 hole game there are 36 putts. 36-15 = 21 birdies a round, that doesn't sound like me, lol.

In a 9 hole game 18-15=3. That doesn't sound right either.

Chris

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2018 1:09 AM

Just what it says.  The average number of putts per hole played.

You could hole out every approach shot and have a zero putting average.

It has nothing to do with how many shots it took you to get on the green

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2018 8:11 AM

The numbers don't seem to match Larry.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2018 8:49 AM

ItsTooSweet:
    My One Putt % is 53.73.

Of the 69,000+ putts you took, 53.73% of them were 1 putts.

ItsTooSweet:

Putting Avg. Per Round: 15.04

In an 18 hole game there are 36 putts. 36-15 = 21 birdies a round, that doesn't sound like me, lol.

I always thought that 15.04 average was for 9 holes so 36-30 = 6. 

With that many putts it takes forever to move the %s so I wouldn't get too excited about interpreting them, comparing it to the way you putt today and having it all make sense.  

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2018 9:06 AM

YankeeJim:
    I always thought that 15.04 average was for 9 holes so 36-30 = 6. 

If it is 9 holes, then there would be 18 putts (2 per hole). 18-15 = 3

I guess I am just confused.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2018 9:56 AM

ItsTooSweet:
     Putting Avg. Per Hole: 1.45

Does this mean if someone had an avg of 1.0 they are basically birdying every hole?

No. As someone already point out, the number of putts has nothing to do with the number of shots a person took to get on the green. In other words, I could 1-putt every hole and still end up with a score of par for the round.

You're assuming the person is getting on the green in regulation. That may not be the case. For a 9-hole round, I could do the following :

Par 3s: Tee shot lands just off the green, pitch to a few feet, hole putt. Result: 1 putt and par. 

Par 4s: Drive, approach misses the green, pitch on the green to a couple of feet, hole putt for par. Result: 1 putt and par.

Par 5s: Drive, lay up on second shot, third shot misses green, pitch to a few feet, hole putt for par. Result: 1 putt and par.

Results for round: 9 putts, shoot par (no birdies). Putts per hole = 1.0. 

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2018 9:59 AM

My understanding is that Putting Avg. Per Hole is calulated by taking your Total Putts and dividing it by your Total Holes Played.  Which is logical, and seems to play out.

However, the Putting Avg. Per Round is calculated by taking your Total Putts and dividing it by your Total Ranked Rounds Played, irrespective of the fact that you're now mixing 9 and 18 hole stats to compute a meaningless number.  For instance, using this stat, someone who exclusively played 18 hole rounds would look horrible compared to someone who exclusively played 9 hole rounds...but may in fact be a far superior putter.

Simple solution would be to re-write the formula so that it weights the 9 and 18 hole stats correctly, but that might require a down-time, so probably best to just leave this one as is....

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2018 10:08 AM

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2018 10:15 AM

Jerm65:

My understanding is that Putting Avg. Per Hole is calulated by taking your Total Putts and dividing it by your Total Holes Played.  Which is logical, and seems to play out.

However, the Putting Avg. Per Round is calculated by taking your Total Putts and dividing it by your Total Ranked Rounds Played, irrespective of the fact that you're now mixing 9 and 18 hole stats to compute a meaningless number.  For instance, using this stat, someone who exclusively played 18 hole rounds would look horrible compared to someone who exclusively played 9 hole rounds...but may in fact be a far superior putter.

That's always been my understanding as well.

For me, the only "meaningful" putting stats are the the putts per hole number and the percent of one putts, two putts, and three putts. And even those numbers have to be interpreted along with the GIR percent, if one wants to read anything into it at all (IMO). 

Bottom line: the putting stats are extremely problematic. One should take a lot of care in drawing any conclusions from them, if any at all

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2018 10:30 AM

Jerm65:

Thank for the help everyone. It looks like there is no way to tell how many holes you have played, just the number of ranked rounds.

Edit: I guess you can reverse calculate it. Total Putts / Putt Avg. Per Hole = Total Number of Ranked Holes.

I keep track of my stats monthly, that way I can gauge my progress over time.

RSS