Forums

Help › Forums

the next step

rated by 0 users
Sat, Oct 10 2009 12:19 PM (5 replies)
  • amorgan1006
    1 Posts
    Thu, Oct 8 2009 12:52 PM

I'm looking for some experienced players to give me some advice. I started playing golf this summer. I took a few lessons, bought a $400 starter set of clubs, played about 15 times and have now "found my swing". My gme has come along pretty well and last week I played my best game yet (a clean 90 on a par 71 course).

I gave up on the whippy and "tinky" started driver, woods and hybrids in August and bought a Taylor Made "Burner" driver and one decent Cleveland hybrid. My long game got better right away.

I've come to the point where I think the irons need to be upgraded. I've played with others that are using better irons and noticed the difference in distance for the same iron selection.

I'm kind of overwhelmed by all of the choices out there. I don't want to put my faith in a store salesman. But I basically have an unlimited budget and complete ignorance on the subject. If anyone can offer some helpful suggestions I'd appreciate it! 

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Oct 8 2009 1:07 PM

Find a golf professional in your area...  perhaps the one(s) you took lessons from and ask them to recommend a quality fitter.  As a matter of fact, get two.  Most quality fitters don't work for a specific brand and can not only get you the right brand of club but the right type (for your swing) as well.

Most pro-shops will have someone they use (at reasonable courses).

It's best to stay away from "Sporting Goods" stores etc...

And, when someone starts ranting and raving about how good "X clubs" are, remember this:  What's good for everyone else may not be good for you.

Peace. 

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Thu, Oct 8 2009 1:20 PM

amorgan1006:

I'm kind of overwhelmed by all of the choices out there. I don't want to put my faith in a store salesman. But I basically have an unlimited budget and complete ignorance on the subject. If anyone can offer some helpful suggestions I'd appreciate it! 

1. Educate yourself. Read about the pros and cons of the brands that you are interested in. Golf Digest puts out a 'Hot List' every year. It is a good place to start.

2. An unlimited budget might be more than you think. A custom built set of clubs is the way to go, but it is expensive. A cheaper option is the fitting systems that many manufacturers have now e.g. Ping, TaylorMade, Calloway, etc.

3. Go to a Golf store, in Canada we have Golf Town, where you can hit clubs at a virtual driving range/launch monitor.

If you spend the time and do the research, you will do OK.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Thu, Oct 8 2009 1:28 PM

Find a good custom club maker in your area...See if he or she really can fit you properly for your real clubhead speed...Its also important that your virtually honest...dont say i hit my driver 300 yards when in reality  you hit it 225...There are some great club builders around the country that have all the do dads reqwired and you will spend way less for your clubs...enjoy!!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Oct 8 2009 2:46 PM

Look at used sets/trade-ins. I bought a 4 year old set of Callaway Big Berthas and am set until they break. Awesome clubs that took my game from the 90s to the low 80s for a fraction of new.

YJ

• TarheelsRule
    5,469 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2009 12:19 PM

Don't know where you are but there are a number of the bigger golf shops, actually one in Myrtle Beach where the World Amateur is, where you can go in and pay $50 to get custome fitted.  You will spend an hour hitting 5 or 6 dirvers and 4 or five sets of irons into a simulator that shows your average distance and where the balls end up.  Generally you will get the money you spend applied to your purchase.  I have found this to be money well spent and time well used.  Wedges and putters are more a feel issue than just hitting a bunch in a store, you will probably try 5 or 6 wedges and more putters.  Check around and you will probably find a Golf Superstore that does fitting and has a great variety of clubs for this.

RSS