Forums

Help › Forums

1st club set worth buying that will last ?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jun 18 2018 10:09 AM (6 replies)
  • GolfDaddy96
    4 Posts
    Sun, Jun 17 2018 9:55 PM

im level 29 and all clubs available seem really bad and will eventually need to be upgraded. at what level do i unlock a really good set worth buying? a driver that can hit like 265+ consistent

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 7:56 AM

L-59 has the ping g25 irons. They will hold you until L-97 for the steelheads

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 8:05 AM

GolfDaddy96:
    im level 29 and all clubs available seem really bad and will eventually need to be upgraded. at what level do i unlock a really good set worth buying? a driver that can hit like 265+ consistent

Here were my "firsts":

First driver: TM R1 (Level 48)

First 3 wood: TM R3 (Level 41) But one could make a strong case for waiting until Level 73 for the Callaway X2

First irons: Ping (Level 59)

First wedges: Cleveland 56, 60, and 64 degree (Levels 27, 29, 31)

First putter: Odyssey Versa (Level 70)

All of this is very much a YMMV situation. Nevertheless, that's what worked for me. :-) 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 8:26 AM

DonCaron:

^^This.

If you find you can't wait, whatever irons you get, get High lofted ones.

• SlicedPepper
    796 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 8:49 AM

Good advice from all 3 above. Don't get caught up in the ' gotta have that ' scenario. You'll be wasting money.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 8:52 AM

GolfDaddy96:

you appear to be strictly a mobile player, playing coin games...from what I can tell from your profile...  you can easily offset or delay any equipment upgrades by using the weekly coin rentals provided you are doing well enough in your coin matches to build your coin bankroll.

you can start with green set for 10,000 coins or if you have enough coins opt for the dark blue set for 50,000 coins.  The dark blue worked well enough for me until I started buying clubs in the mid level 50's, while I gradually built up my credits to purchase clubs through the 2 credit videos.  

Since coins will have less value eventually, this is one time when the coins actually have perceived value because they can save you credits upgrading clubs at lower levels that you would quickly replace.  So you have the right idea to wait as long as you can... give the coin rentals a try and when you incorporate your sponsor boosting apparel you may find they perform quite well making it easier to delay your credit purchases. 

beyond that, most people piece their club selections together one club at a time, but you could opt for the L59 set of pings which include the often recommended L59 hi lofted irons as a good overall value set and then just complement that set with some good wedges and your putter of choice.  

noticed you have rented the new titleist set of clubs being promoted by WGT.  I am not familiar with those but they look like decent sticks and would clearly play well off of your present tees and given the length of the driver, off of the master tee boxes as well.  the Irons would likely lack some stopping power hitting into elevated greens given they are med flight instead of high loft of the L59 pings.  

hope this helps but again, unless you start playing ranked rounds without the sponsor apparel boosting enhancements, you will never get an accurate reflection of how any clubs will play..  You will then find yourself wondering why your clubs don't play as well when or if you start playing WGT tournaments or ready go's when the sponsor apparel enhancements are turned off even though you will still be technically wearing the gear, the enhancements are not normally permitted in ranked rounds or tournament conditions.

• xlviii
    502 Posts
    Mon, Jun 18 2018 10:09 AM

DonCaron:

I found the Pings to be pretty short and lacking spin if you make Legend. Depending on your credit flow, the L79 Rocketbladez, L85 Callaways, and L90 Rsi2 (best of the bunch by quite a bit in my estimation) can be purchased before the L97 or L100 irons.

But yes, the L59 Pings are the iron set I'd recommend.

RSS