Thu, Jun 21 2018 11:37 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Sun, Jun 17 2018 3:11 PM

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Sun, Jun 17 2018 4:04 PM

I don't think the difficulty of a real life course necessarily translates to WGT. When Pebble Beach hosted the US Open in 2010 the winning score was even par. Yet it's no problem whatsoever to play a -18 in the WGT version of the course. So I really doubt that that kind of consideration played any role in the decision(?) not to bring Shinnecock to WGT.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sun, Jun 17 2018 4:08 PM

I completely agree. Another great example is the 18th at St. Andrews. Every time I see a telecast of that course, the announcers all focus on the "Valley of Sin" below the 18th green, and sure enough, the hole gives the pros fits. Yet on WGT it's one of the easiest birdie holes on the course.

• LEDzZzEPP
    501 Posts
    Sun, Jun 17 2018 4:29 PM

birchi:

I don't think the difficulty of a real life course necessarily translates to WGT. When Pebble Beach hosted the US Open in 2010 the winning score was even par. Yet it's no problem whatsoever to play a -18 in the WGT version of the course. So I really doubt that that kind of consideration played any role in the decision(?) not to bring Shinnecock to WGT.

+1

• wayah1
    27 Posts
    Sun, Jun 17 2018 4:43 PM

I really did not see anything about the course that would have made it fun to play....the scenery around the course was not all that great and sort of boring in a way.I think Wolf Creek will be much better....So the sooner the better...Hopefully sooner...HFD...May the trail rise up to meet you

• VinnyGoombotz
    324 Posts
    Sun, Jun 17 2018 4:44 PM

I dont think the courses matter as to who wins ,in this and most country clubs the same people win or are in the top ten over and over again,in real golf there is such a thing as a handicap system,however this cc and wgt will never put one in because they like the way it is ,my buddy belonged to a cc run by WALKOFLIFE  that has such a sysyem and a few more cc also have it so to implament it is not that hard,just my opinion

• SlicedPepper
    796 Posts
    Sun, Jun 17 2018 6:05 PM

We should have Shinnecock Hills and it should play like the US Open just did.

Give those low shooters something that will bite back.

• dandycap
    1,808 Posts
    Sun, Jun 17 2018 6:52 PM

TopShelf2010:
    Happy Father's Day

And it was Don knowing that we didn't get Shinnecock Hills.    There wasn't one green I liked.    Every one was a hill.    We only need one like Pinehurst.

For a golf course set very near the ocean, all you could see were trees.    Basically, thumbs down @ Shinnecock.

WGT is looking great for the coming year.    Pebble beach for the US Open and Wolf Creek sometime soon.           --     just dandy

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Jun 17 2018 6:59 PM

I still say we didn’t get Shinnecick Hills because the ownership of Shinnecock Hills said no. WGT has a contract with the U.S.G.A but not each course. 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sun, Jun 17 2018 9:48 PM

+1!

Alternatively, the company may have deemed it too expensive.

But wait: From Bielefeld, I hear the rumour that they forgot to prepare the shoot last year...

• PAGES
RSS