Forums

Help › Forums

Why Forfeit?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 10 2019 7:57 PM (24 replies)
  • FRESHCHOPS
    16 Posts
    Sun, Jun 10 2018 12:42 PM

The game doesn't keep stats for H2H matches (aside from monthly W/L counts). So, it's not like they're cheating the system out of a "loss" stat.

Why do so many people forfeit, even if their match has been lost and all they have to do is tap-in putt.  Like, they can tap in the putt, finish the round in the time it takes them to go to the forfeit process.

They're giving up the XP and if using a sponsorship, the apparel (even if minimal with loss).

They're also forgoing the practice the extra shots offer.

It's gotten to where more than half of opponents don't finish a match with me if loosing due to forfeit.

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Sun, Jun 10 2018 5:40 PM

FRESHCHOPS:

The game doesn't keep stats for H2H matches (aside from monthly W/L counts). So, it's not like they're cheating the system out of a "loss" stat.

Why do so many people forfeit, even if their match has been lost and all they have to do is tap-in putt.  Like, they can tap in the putt, finish the round in the time it takes them to go to the forfeit process.

They're giving up the XP and if using a sponsorship, the apparel (even if minimal with loss).

They're also forgoing the practice the extra shots offer.

It's gotten to where more than half of opponents don't finish a match with me if loosing due to forfeit.

You red my mind bud. I mean yea, theyre bitter, take their toy, and go home..but why not collect the XP anyway. I had a match in coin room today for nine holes at the Links, opponent hit a wild tee shot, and lost the L86 TM ball in the brush, 2nd hole. At this point, I had 4 shot lead, and waiting for forfeit, which is reasonable, but he kept playing. I just became quiet, and just couldn’t wait to finish the round. Anyway, on the 9th hope, before he putted, he said a real Gentleman like gesture by saying, GG THX..To my surprise, I just said, Sorry about the ball.

And some are Jerks..lol

• ScottyAKing
    175 Posts
    Sun, Jun 10 2018 8:59 PM

Forfeiting, for the most part* is weak and pathetic.  I don’t see what the gain is.  The thing I’m not sure about is, when they forfeit, does it still count as a win for you when the end of week rolls around?

* I put this caveat in, as I had to forfeit a game when visitors turned up (how rude!).  However I told my opponent why, and wished them luck. 

On that.  Almost as annoying is people who don’t interact at all.  I get if you don’t want to have a chat, especially on single hole games, but is it really that hard to say good luck and thanks?  Makes me wonder sometimes if we are playing bots or prerecorded rounds. 

• AussieMick11
    1,275 Posts
    Mon, Jun 11 2018 9:39 AM

Lots of players forfeit coin games before the end to save hits on their pricey balls. These hits are limited, no point in wasting them. But when there is only 1 putt left to hit, I agree, tap it in (just tap it in).

About players not interacting. It's possible they have disabled chat in settings. I know of some players who go this route because of so many rude players in the coin rooms and no way to avoid them.

I recommend finding a country club with similar interests to yours. Good friends and good times are to be had in these communities.

Bottom line is this is a game, have fun :)

• FRESHCHOPS
    16 Posts
    Mon, Jun 11 2018 9:50 AM

AussieMick11:

Lots of players forfeit coin games before the end to save hits on their pricey balls.

I thought about that.  That may be the only logical and excusable reason to forfeit. Granted, many will forfeit using freebee balls and I think it's either rage or they're strapped for time.

Still their loss I believe.

I've had a handful of lost connection type endings and had to quit one time (to drop my son to work), notifying the player, but other than that, never forfeited.  Not a righteous brag, just seems beneficial not to.

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Mon, Jun 11 2018 1:09 PM

If at the beginning of the match, conversation is not friendly..I blocked them, problem solved.

• ScottyAKing
    175 Posts
    Mon, Jun 11 2018 4:39 PM

Mick, the vast majority of forfeits occur from the green, and putts don’t count as hits. 

Slick, I do the same.  However, blocking only stops friend requests.  It doesn’t prevent you playing them again.  I just use it as a reminder that the player is an arsehat, and don’t bother trying to interact with them. 

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Mon, Jun 11 2018 7:36 PM

ScottyAKing:

Mick, the vast majority of forfeits occur from the green, and putts don’t count as hits. 

Slick, I do the same.  However, blocking only stops friend requests.  It doesn’t prevent you playing them again.  I just use it as a reminder that the player is an arsehat, and don’t bother trying to interact with them. 

Just block them for that match, at least you’ll have a peaceful game.

• ChuckRonin
    1 Posts
    Thu, Aug 30 2018 9:29 AM

Forfeiting drives me crazy.

Of course, it's okay to forfeit if a life-event requires your immediate attention.  But, the only other legitimate reason is if the outcome is a foregone conclusion and the person forfeiting is doing it in consideration of the OTHER player.

People forfeit because (1) they mistakenly believe it will protect their win ratio (silly, because 'forfeit' is literally a synonym for 'lose'); and (2) because they lack character.  "If I can't win, I'm taking my ball and going inside."  Seriously, in real life would you ever pay $100 for a round, golf balls, etc., then walk off on the second hole because you didn't think you'd win in the end?  It's the journey, not just the destination... stick around, enjoy the weather, have a beer...

I think habitual "Forfeiters" should be banned from WGT for life and sent to Alcatraz. 

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Thu, Aug 30 2018 1:49 PM

H2H is essentially a form of match play.

in match play you can concede holes and the match at any time you want. including on the green.

1) any of you care to try to explain to me the difference?

2) why do you care?  there really isn't any gain. some xp increase but so tiny as to not even worry about. get more XP for the video that the forfeit got you to quicker than otherwise.

RSS