Forums

Help › Forums

Is the TaylorMade R 11 10.5 still the right choice?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 9 2018 7:54 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JustTheOgre
    4 Posts
    Thu, Jun 7 2018 7:46 PM

I'm level 42 and if WGT comes through with the promised credits, I should have around $1800 to play with.

This will be my first purchase and I want to make sure it's a good purchase.

I'm sure I want a driver cause on some holes I cant even reach the fairway depending on wind.

I searched a fair bit and found the R 11 references quite a bit as the go to driver but those were old posts.

So is the TaylorMade R11 10.5 the best choice for my first club?

• PRO6143
    2,279 Posts
    Fri, Jun 8 2018 10:22 AM

Personally, I'd wait for the ....

TaylorMade R1 TP 9.0 White Driver (Aldila 65 shaft) (L48+)

It cost 1100 credits more, but, it will last a very long time.  I've seen some people still using it at levels 70-90.   Best of luck with whatever you decide.

L

• kingiling
    512 Posts
    Fri, Jun 8 2018 10:37 AM

I would most definitely hold out till the L48 Taylor Made R1 9.0 or the L55 M1 9.0 if you need the slower meter.  Those are game changer drivers.  Cost a bit more, but will take you into levels 80 or 90 before you need a new driver.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Fri, Jun 8 2018 11:33 AM

Personally I'd consider a good set of irons before you change your driver.

You'll hit an iron on pretty much every hole you play whereas the driver will stay in the bag on most of the par 3 holes.  Also, your irons are your approach clubs and will have a much bigger impact on your scores.  If you can get your average distance to pin down then you'll obviously have shorter putts and your scores will reflect this.

I'll be perfectly honest and admit that I have zero experience of the lower level irons but the L52 Callaway Steelhead look very nice.  Having said that they only have medium trajectory which isn't ideal.  The Ping G25 at level 59 are a better club but they will require a longer wait.

You can get through the lower levels quickly though so it shouldn't take you long to get there.

By the way, I bet every reply suggests something different  :)

• SauloMagno
    57 Posts
    Fri, Jun 8 2018 12:06 PM

Good day

I sugest wait until Lv 48 and take TaylorMade R1 TP 9.0 White Driver. I use it until Lv 85 and is really confortable and accurate.

• xlviii
    502 Posts
    Fri, Jun 8 2018 12:30 PM

If you're talking about the L29 R11 driver, I'd say definitely not. The L48 R1 driver is a driver that can carry you all the way to Legend. Yes, it's more expensive but very worth it. It's a full 23 yards farther than the R11 off the tee.

As to the best choice for your first club? A driver isn't a bad idea. The L32 R11 irons are pretty nice, but if you're on a budget, you're probably better off served waiting for the L59 G25s. The Cleveland wedges (L27 56, L29 60, and L31 64) are also good clubs.

Each offers something different. A driver means you're hitting shorter clubs into the green. The G25 irons get you spin and a high trajectory for much softer landings on the green. The wedges (I'd probably start with the 64) will be a big improvement on shots around the green.

If you have the opportunity to watch videos on mobile, you can build up credits and get all of them. :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 8 2018 12:52 PM

JustTheOgre:
    on some holes I cant even reach the fairway depending on wind.

X gave some great advice but if you're looking to make the most of your 1800 credits, it might be more fun for you to go with the driver so you know you can get to those fairways.

An early purchase like that is generally not the best move but if you anticipate playing a lot without spending more credits, at least you'd be able to play from the fairway.  ;-)

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Fri, Jun 8 2018 12:55 PM

xlviii:

If you're talking about the L29 R11 driver, I'd say definitely not. The L48 R1 driver is a driver that can carry you all the way to Legend. Yes, it's more expensive but very worth it. It's a full 23 yards farther than the R11 off the tee.

As to the best choice for your first club? A driver isn't a bad idea. The L32 R11 irons are pretty nice, but if you're on a budget, you're probably better off served waiting for the L59 G25s. The Cleveland wedges (L27 56, L29 60, and L31 64) are also good clubs.

Each offers something different. A driver means you're hitting shorter clubs into the green. The G25 irons get you spin and a high trajectory for much softer landings on the green. The wedges (I'd probably start with the 64) will be a big improvement on shots around the green.

If you have the opportunity to watch videos on mobile, you can build up credits and get all of them. :)

+1

• JustTheOgre
    4 Posts
    Fri, Jun 8 2018 5:10 PM

Thank you for the replies and correcting my confusion.  I wasn't aware there was both an R1  level 48 and an R11 level 29.  Too bad, the R11level 29 seems like a good fit for me but it is not  going to carry me as far as I'd hoped.

At This Point In The Game, I Just Need Another 10 Or 20 Yards Off The Tee To Be Able To Compete Again.  Then I Can Focus On Irons And Wedges To Get Some Control On The Ball.  Hitting Greens Is Fun, But I'll Bet Its Way More fun to Hit Greens And Stick, instead of skipping Off Like I'm Seeing Now.

Not Sure Why My Phone Is Capitalizing Each Word, But Hopefully, You Get The Gist.

• SeveFrost
    1,489 Posts
    Sat, Jun 9 2018 7:33 AM

yes, wait until you can afford the R1, it will last a lot longer and get you to those black tees

• PAGES
RSS