Forums

Help › Forums

Putter?

Sun, Jun 10 2018 5:45 PM (31 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Fri, Jun 8 2018 6:23 AM

SlickHunter:
    All I can say, this putter sucks right now. Too bad, already sold my old one.

I think you'll get used to it and will get to the point where you really love it.

But the thing about putters is that (it seems to me) people tend to have too high of expectations of the capabilities or attributes of the better putters. They expect them to be game changers, and they really aren't. 

In any case, I love the Sabertooth. Still, there's no way it dramatically improved my putting. While it did pretty much eliminate three putts, my overall putting stats only marginally got better. I think I went from about 1.52 putts per round to 1.50 putts per round (and it was only within the last week that I got it down to 1.50).  

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Jun 8 2018 6:45 AM

I think any real extra forgiveness on the Sabertooth is there for near tap ins with the short scale mostly.

Go deeper into the scales it plays v similarly to the L70 Versa IMO............

In the end though the user has to stop the meter where they intended - be that a ding or a miss.  Do that and get the line right putts will drop.

Versus the L70 it's a nice new toy and really, when it comes to putting, the best putter is the one you feel comfortable with.  

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Fri, Jun 8 2018 7:53 AM

TopShelf2010:

SlickHunter:

All I can say, this putter sucks right now. Too bad, already sold my old one.

I know this  may sound cliche, but you did clear all your caches and whatnot after upgrading clubs?

Don

With Mobile, it’s just clearing history, not sure if that’s the same.

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Fri, Jun 8 2018 7:58 AM

What I notice with this putter, it’s consistently missing on the low side, where those putts would’ve gone in with the  L70 Versa..Like you guys say, just a matter of getting use to it. It’s just the phobia of putting, and missing short putts, starts to set in. I even showed my wife how I miss inside 4-6 curvy putts. At least this will keep me out of boredom, makes me play, and practice more. There’s got to be an upside, besides being expensive.

• xlviii
    502 Posts
    Fri, Jun 8 2018 12:37 PM

Jimbog1964:

I think any real extra forgiveness on the Sabertooth is there for near tap ins with the short scale mostly.

In the end though the user has to stop the meter where they intended - be that a ding or a miss.  Do that and get the line right putts will drop.

Versus the L70 it's a nice new toy and really, when it comes to putting, the best putter is the one you feel comfortable with.  

I figure it should work fine with the kind of off-ding putting that I do. That is, I miss into the break just because missing the wrong way can lead to bad results, similar to what can happen with irons and a large crosswind. I'm not sure if there's another style of off-ding putting? 

Greater forgiveness might mean I'd have to learn how to adjust if I keep missing high or long because of the added forgiveness, but that's no big thing. I like the L70 Versa, but I see a lot of players using the Sabertooth. For me, if I have 5k credits to spare when I get to L98, I'm planning to get it, but it's at the bottom of the list for any future club upgrades. I tested the Versa on a free rental weekend a few years back, and I can say with confidence that it's a very good putter.

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Fri, Jun 8 2018 2:31 PM

xlviii:

Jimbog1964:

I figure it should work fine with the kind of off-ding putting that I do. That is, I miss into the break just because missing the wrong way can lead to bad results, similar to what can happen with irons and a large crosswind. I'm not sure if there's another style of off-ding putting? 

Greater forgiveness might mean I'd have to learn how to adjust if I keep missing high or long because of the added forgiveness, but that's no big thing. I like the L70 Versa, but I see a lot of players using the Sabertooth. For me, if I have 5k credits to spare when I get to L98, I'm planning to get it, but it's at the bottom of the list for any future club upgrades. I tested the Versa on a free rental weekend a few years back, and I can say with confidence that it's a very good putter.

You’re right about off dinging, to compensate. I have to adjust a little higher on breaks, or off ding to hold the line. Just like anything, just a matter of time, before it gets dialed in.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Jun 9 2018 3:33 AM

Both the L70 Versa and Sabertooth work fine by dinging only of course - any putt.  Missing downslope side can also be bad of course.  Right line and weight it all works..............

FWIW XL not having the new putter as top of any list is right IMO.  Nice new toy, once used to it, and I found that transition as seamless as it gets but we are all different...............Credits going spare a nice new toy:)

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Sat, Jun 9 2018 4:55 AM

Jimbog1964:

Both the L70 Versa and Sabertooth work fine by dinging only of course - any putt.  Missing downslope side can also be bad of course.  Right line and weight it all works..............

FWIW XL not having the new putter as top of any list is right IMO.  Nice new toy, once used to it, and I found that transition as seamless as it gets but we are all different...............Credits going spare a nice new toy:)

No matter what slow meter, even Max 5.0 meter, I rarely ding. I ding even more with 2.5 meter. The problem is, after playing a while, 2.5 meter becomes faster for my tired eyes.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Jun 10 2018 12:21 AM

SlickHunter:

Jimbog1964:

No matter what slow meter, even Max 5.0 meter, I rarely ding. I ding even more with 2.5 meter. The problem is, after playing a while, 2.5 meter becomes faster for my tired eyes.

Off dinging of course means you still hit close to where you intended, especially the correct side.  maybe try setting up to ding and hope whatever extra forgiveness hopefully exists helps a bit..........Maybe consider making use of deep meters (try it anyway if not).  The shorter travel means some find it easier to hit on their intended spot (ding or otherwise).  Up to 100' deep those putters should be fine as a guide for here but with practice you will know what you are comfortable with and where...........Not for everyone.  Some hated the Sabertooth but really like the L96 Versa. 

As a change from the L70 Versa the Sabertooth..........It's a new toy:) 

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Sun, Jun 10 2018 11:12 AM

I make a longer putts with this, than a shorter putts. I may have been reading the breaks wrong with my other putter L70 Versa, and I made them. This one I think, wants you to read the breaks correctly, and ding it, otherwise, no deal.

RSS