Forums

Help › Forums

About TailWind :(

Sun, Aug 16 2020 9:05 AM (6 replies)
  • SauloMagno
    57 Posts
    Tue, Jun 5 2018 8:51 PM

Hi guys, me again...

I have a good calculation about headwind and clubs, but always fail in tailwind. When it is Tailwind, I always throw out a feeling, but I'm going tier up and every time it works less.

A plain example:

Headwind 13, distance 155yds, My I6 is 175 yds (wind affect 75%), so I shoot at 94%

But always try to make something like that with Tailwind and absolutlly can't :(

Substract total wind, 50% wind, a percentage depending on the club (like example), the remaining balance of the percentage depending on the club... This make me crazy.

---------------------------

I have new Driver, W3  and buy Srixon balls. I did think in play some practice rounds to improve my game.

I go to Stroke Play >> Practice Mode and spend 11 balls just to see then tee distance in Practice is diferent to Ranked and all my notes go to trash :(

I never play practice before, so is a big (and sad) surprise.

I'm in Master Tier but I'm really a Hack ¬¬

-------------------------------

Can please somebody help me with a couple tips about how to calculate Tailwind?

Many thanks in advance for help...

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Wed, Jun 6 2018 2:13 PM

SauloMagno:

Hi guys, me again...

I have a good calculation about headwind and clubs, but always fail in tailwind. When it is Tailwind, I always throw out a feeling, but I'm going tier up and every time it works less.

A plain example:

Headwind 13, distance 155yds, My I6 is 175 yds (wind affect 75%), so I shoot at 94%

But always try to make something like that with Tailwind and absolutlly can't :(

Substract total wind, 50% wind, a percentage depending on the club (like example), the remaining balance of the percentage depending on the club... This make me crazy.

---------------------------

I have new Driver, W3  and buy Srixon balls. I did think in play some practice rounds to improve my game.

I go to Stroke Play >> Practice Mode and spend 11 balls just to see then tee distance in Practice is diferent to Ranked and all my notes go to trash :(

I never play practice before, so is a big (and sad) surprise.

I'm in Master Tier but I'm really a Hack ¬¬

-------------------------------

Can please somebody help me with a couple tips about how to calculate Tailwind?

Many thanks in advance for help...

Yeah, that’s a 10 added yards with that wind..when your hitting from the fairway, clubs yardage decrease..for ex..175 yards, hitting from fairway, it will only fly around 170 yrds, plus the wind, and green elevation.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Thu, Jun 7 2018 9:08 AM

Headwinds affect distance by 60% of wind x distance, after calculating elevation change. For 100 yards, a 10 mph headwind will add 6 yards, total 106 yard shot- for example. 

Tailwinds affect distance by 40% of net yardage, so in the above example, a 10 mph tailwind will reduce the distance by 4 yards, so hit for 96 yards, in this example. 

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Thu, Jun 7 2018 11:33 AM

This chart is what I got off these forums years ago. It might help

• SauloMagno
    57 Posts
    Fri, Jun 8 2018 7:06 AM

Hi guys

mmm... I never try this 2 techniques before,...

I am going to test them this weekend to see which of the two is more suited to my type of game and equipment

Thank you very much Guys !!!

• SauloMagno
    57 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2018 10:18 PM

Well I try DonCaron's table and works really fine (I use it for mid-high wind).

I can see some eagles and win Master tier Wk 23 Multiround Chambers Bay! :D

Many thanks!!!

• BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2020 9:05 AM

skccvb:

Headwinds affect distance by 60% of wind x distance, after calculating elevation change. For 100 yards, a 10 mph headwind will add 6 yards, total 106 yard shot- for example. 

Tailwinds affect distance by 40% of net yardage, so in the above example, a 10 mph tailwind will reduce the distance by 4 yards, so hit for 96 yards, in this example. 

Sorry for the 2 year bump here but... I have been having trouble understanding how much less effect the tailwind has on the ball. 

the chart above is very good for a headwind. But for a tailwind it isn’t the same.  Since the ball also has different length time in the air for different clubs, the longer clubs are more affected by the wind.  Typically on short clubs I only add a little, on middle clubs I add a little more and with the long clubs I almost add all of the wind to it but not all.  I need something more exact for tailwind calculations or how to better apply the wind power to tailwind shots.

any help would be much appreciated and btw, I play on an Iphone7 and  cannot use an excel spreadsheet. 

RSS