rated by 0 users
Thu, May 31 2018 9:28 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ptptpt1
    8 Posts
    Wed, May 30 2018 8:32 AM

Hello,

First time, long time.  

Level 68, have the TM M1 level 55 driver.  Contemplating the ping G25 level 59 or TM M2 level 68.  I know I need to improve my GiR and dont regularly hit the 'ding.'

any advice on which club is better or is there a better option that I am missing?  

ty in advance.  

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Wed, May 30 2018 1:44 PM

I recommend a different sequence: Start with two short wedges, then a 3WD, then the irons.

Do it slowly because, as a TP, it's not mandatory, and new levels come to you quite quickly.

Be sure to get yourself "high trajectory" irons - G25 are the first.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, May 30 2018 2:09 PM

ptptpt1:

Hello,

First time, long time.  

Level 68, have the TM M1 level 55 driver.  Contemplating the ping G25 level 59 or TM M2 level 68.  I know I need to improve my GiR and dont regularly hit the 'ding.'

any advice on which club is better or is there a better option that I am missing?  

ty in advance.  

While I rarely disagree with alosso (and rightfully so!), I am going to disagree a bit with his advice. But my approach would take a bit of patience on your part.

If you were at a much lower level, I would absolutely say get the wedges first then the irons. But you're not that far away from the higher-level Cleveland wedges, which I think are the best in the Pro Shop. If you were to join a country club, you could most likely take advantage of the custom course glitch and get through those levels within a month. 

I simply think you would probably soon end up replacing any lower-level wedges that you purchase now. So, I would get the Ping (Level 59) irons now and then the Clevelands (56,60, and 64 degree wedges) when you get to them.

I would also wait a level or two for the 3-wood. The Callaway X2 (Level 73) is a fantastic 3 wood. 

I mean you've waited this long, why not just wait a bit more to get the better equipment? I guess if you were months away from this equipment, it would be different.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, May 30 2018 2:09 PM

Deleted. Double post.

• xlviii
    502 Posts
    Wed, May 30 2018 2:12 PM

The L79 irons are very nice if you want to wait to get them. If not, the L59 Pings are good.

• ptptpt1
    8 Posts
    Wed, May 30 2018 2:46 PM

I meant to ask this in my initial post as well, but what is the value of high trajectory vs medium?  I understand what trajectory is but what is the value in the game of higher trajectory.  

consensus seems the g25 are the better option. 

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Wed, May 30 2018 4:38 PM

ptptpt1:

I meant to ask this in my initial post as well, but what is the value of high trajectory vs medium?  I understand what trajectory is but what is the value in the game of higher trajectory.  

consensus seems the g25 are the better option. 

High trajectory irons have more stopping power due to coming in higher and landing softer. With medium trajectory irons you would need balls with much more spin to even come close to the stopping power of high trajectory irons, Those balls cost much more. 

As for the g25 irons yes they are better than the level 68 TM irons. But if you are willing to wait the level 75 Ben hogan irons or the level 79 TM Rocket Bladez are both better options than the g25 irons. They both have a little more distance and a lot more precision and spin. And they both are only slightly more expensive than the L59 g25's.

• ptptpt1
    8 Posts
    Wed, May 30 2018 5:04 PM

The meter speed on the 79 TM and 75 BH scares me...

• ptptpt1
    8 Posts
    Wed, May 30 2018 5:21 PM

I am in no rush and I definitely appreciate all of the advice.  

I know this is probably not the right spot for this question, but what is the benefit of joining a CC and how do you pick which one to join? 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Wed, May 30 2018 10:00 PM

A valid interjection, Robert!

OTOH, I can't stop stating that those Starter wedges are the biggest crap of the game IMHO - if possible, get rid of them ASAP (best above L39)!

The XP gap still is enormous, 50%  the XPs achieved
    (L70 @140,000, L80 @209,000)

And, the L39 64° ATV (50 yds) @495 cr or the L52 MAX (60 yds, 895 cr) each serve well below the top wedges, two of the former being a bargain against Cleves.

So, at the least, please permit one wedge NOW!

• PAGES
RSS