Help › Forums

About spin value in ball

Tue, Apr 11 2023 12:04 PM (20 replies)
  • SauloMagno
    57 Posts
    Fri, May 25 2018 11:01 PM

Hi guys

Can somebody please help me with this doubt?:

The spin value of the ball affects the flight even without applying it? I explain:

Two balls with the same distance value, but one with spin +2 and other with spin +5.

When shooting in the same conditions and without applying any spin (full or backspin), they arrive at the same distance?

Thanks in advance for help :)

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Mon, May 28 2018 7:18 AM

SauloMagno:

Hi guys

The spin value of the ball affects the flight even without applying it? I explain:

Two balls with the same distance value, but one with spin +2 and other with spin +5.

When shooting in the same conditions and without applying any spin (full or backspin), they arrive at the same distance?

Yes, applying spin especially irons/wedges, cuts the distance. You can find out how much each ball with different stats gets affected, is by doing a practice round. 

Second question..balls with different spin, but same distance stats, should get the same distance without applying the spin..then again, high quality balls could hit longer, compare to mediocre balls, even with same distance stats..trying them out in practice is the best way.

Also, it’s been implied Full backspin when using driver or fairway wood, hits longer. Never tested it, but been doing it.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Mon, May 28 2018 8:54 AM

SlickHunter:
    Also, it’s been implied Full backspin when using driver or fairway wood, hits longer. Never tested it, but been doing it.

Yes it does. Good for getting over hazards

• xlviii
    502 Posts
    Mon, May 28 2018 8:56 AM

FBS with a driver cuts the distance. Adding just a few ticks of BS will get you more distance than no spin though.

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Mon, May 28 2018 9:03 AM

xlviii:

FBS with a driver cuts the distance. Adding just a few ticks of BS will get you more distance than no spin though.

Totally hole/wind, Type of driver & ball dependent, Find what works for you'

Ken

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Mon, May 28 2018 6:11 PM

SlickHunter:

Hi Guys

Got a feeling this could be opening a can of worms, but what the hell. Firstly, what Ken just said is correct. 100% club/ball dependant. Clubs with a high spin rating + balls with a high spin rating coupled together and with full b.spin get into the air faster, ie into the wind so get more of it. Good in a tail wind it does go longer. To the same effect, into a headwind you will land short. Both are effected more by cross/side winds.
    With my driver and volvik balls, full topspin into a good headwind I don't lose a huge amount. With my irons though, more spin and high traj., it's more noticeable.

A lot of boring club mapping etc, but it's worth it. Find and settle on a ball that works for you and try to stick with it. The level 33 callys and the yellow volviks are two that are good value and perform well (IMO). I used just those for a long time.

Compare what's on offer too, just because a ball is * new* and *you think we're mad? expensive*  doesn't mean it's better, it could ruin all your work mapping. If you do happen to find 99/100% H2O the splosh is just the same as with a rock too, just a vastly smaller comedy value.

Happy hittin' Cheers!

Rich

• SauloMagno
    57 Posts
    Mon, May 28 2018 10:34 PM

SlickHunter:

then again, high quality balls could hit longer, compare to mediocre balls, even with same distance stats..

And thats why I ask. I really dont guess price balls affect, or durability or speedmeter.

I suspect then same distance, but high spin affects in flight even if it does not apply spin.

Its only notable difference between expensive and cheap balls with same distance...

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2018 4:37 AM

DonCaron:

SlickHunter:

Yes it does. Good for getting over hazards

And an absolute necessity on some tees like # 4 @ Congressional to clear trees off the tee

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2018 1:05 PM
    SauloMagno:

Hi guys

Yes, the spin value of the ball affects the flight even with centre spin dot. The dot does not represent topspin (high), no spin (middle), or backspin (low), but rather varying degrees of backspin. You can see this most clearly with a high-end 64 degree wedge with the spin dot at the top of the ball. You can still get the ball to spin back a little, even with a starter ball. Logically there is no way to get topspin with a golf shot without blading it above the centre of the ball, which we can't do in this game. As such, balls with the same distance rating, different spin ratings, and centre spin dot, will go different distances and have different flights.
  • ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Tue, May 29 2018 2:22 PM

That's quite an interesting response. WGT's own tutorials say that moving the dot forward gives you top spin. The spin meter values given in the shot information box also indicate top spin. There is also a side spin component that you see in simulators such as the SkyTrak that you don't see on WGT, but those values are still being calculated to affect the shot.

RSS