Tournament Greens

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 20 2018 8:50 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BPeterson8256
    2,907 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2018 11:58 AM

Buffsbeard:

Tournament greens are rediculous ! The green speeds are unrealistic and totally unpredictable 

They are completely predictable, and probably the most predictable part of this game. You just need to learn the different greens and how to play them. If you learn the speeds, it isn't too hard stopping the ball within 2' of the hole from almost any distance. If you do that and focus on eliminating 3 putts, it will drop at least a couple strokes per round off of your scores.

I would be glad to help if you like.

Cheers   Brett

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2018 12:07 PM

Well, "completely" predictable is a bit of an overstatement, unless you disregard the time and practice needed to know which courses tend to have faster greens, which tend to have more break and which have little correlation between the dots and actual ball movement.

And oh yes, then there's Merion...

Ah well, there needs to be one area of the game where I'm better IRL than here on WGT!

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2018 12:19 PM

K7JBQ:

Well, "completely" predictable is a bit of an overstatement, unless you disregard the time and practice needed to know which courses tend to have faster greens, which tend to have more break and which have little correlation between the dots and actual ball movement.

Absolutely have to agree with you. I've been playing tournament greens for quite some time now, and I would never define them as "completely predictable." There are still greens that I'm trying to figure out. 

Even so, with a lot of practice, a person can (pretty much) eliminate 3-putts, unless you get caught in a really bad position. An example is Oakmont, #9, front, right pin location. If you get above the hole, good luck!  

And oh yes, then there's Merion... :-) 

• BPeterson8256
    2,907 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2018 12:20 PM

K7JBQ:

Ah well, there needs to be one area of the game where I'm better IRL than here on WGT!

I guess I should have put this in bold print.

BPeterson8256:

You just need to learn the different greens and how to play them.

If it was just an exact math for every shot, everybody would make every putt. The point I am making, is...

BPeterson8256:

They are completely predictable, and probably the most predictable part of this game.

It plays the same almost every time. You just need to learn what you are doing. If you just write it off as being unpredictable, you will never learn how to putt well.

• BPeterson8256
    2,907 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2018 12:30 PM

Robert1893:

Absolutely have to agree with you. I've been playing tournament greens for quite some time now, and I would never define them as "completely predictable." There are still greens that I'm trying to figure out. 

Robert, I like that you mention there are some greens you are still trying to figure out, but come on... Your 3 putt % is fantastic. You obviously have a lot of it figured out. How much more predictable do you want it to be? lol Perhaps predictable is too general of a word. I had a friend who quit playing because WGT was so unfair and unpredictable to him. He was a Champion with a legit 52 average. lol  Evidently predictable means different things to different people. 

Keep it in the short grass. 

Brett

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2018 1:10 PM

@Brett

Thanks for the kind words; I appreciate it. I guess I want every putt to go in the hole. :-) 

But you're correct that everyone is going to define predictable differently. But I see your point now and can agree. 

• xlviii
    502 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2018 4:41 PM

Robert1893:

I guess I want every putt to go in the hole. :-) 

I know I get upset if they don't all go in. :) I putt pretty well, but I still leave lots of strokes on the course from missing very makeable putts.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2018 5:18 PM

xlviii:
    but I still leave lots of strokes on the course from missing very makeable putts.

Same here. It's probably the one part of the game that I'll never be really all that good at. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, May 20 2018 8:50 AM

Robert1893:

xlviii:
    but I still leave lots of strokes on the course from missing very makeable putts.

Same here. It's probably the one part of the game that I'll never be really all that good at. 

This is as real as it get, just ask Tiger Woods. It cost him in his last outing.  :-)

• PAGES
RSS