Help › Forums

Tournament Greens

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 20 2018 8:50 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Buffsbeard
    2 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2018 10:43 AM

Tournament greens are rediculous ! The green speeds are unrealistic and totally unpredictable 

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2018 2:59 PM

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2018 3:10 PM

LMAO. I'm having to set up tournaments in my CC with SuperFast greens mixed in to keep the field close. Everybody eats up Tournament speeds.  :-D

@Buff-you're going to see those speeds for the next tier, too, so work on it a little bit and you'll figure it out. BPB #3 and 4 are good greens for practicing. After the master tier they keep getting faster so expect it.

Also, as soon as you can, think about getting high lofted irons. They come in softer and don't roll as much which should help you get closer putts. GL

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2018 7:40 PM

Tourny/Champ greens are great.   I can't handle the slow green speeds now   lol.  

I understand what ya say,  When I first started playing many  pink moons ago there was the British Virtual Open on St.Andrews.   Just starting to play at the time   ...Champ speed (I think) and Black tees.   Yep I last a few holes and basically said xxxxxxx,   that was really hard going back then   lol.

Now it's a peice o cake.  

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2018 7:55 PM

I remember the shock to my newbie system the frst time I moved up in green speed!  It was like - who can play with these speeds??

Now my only shock comes on that first hole in a tourney where I forgot to look at the green speed!  Last night it was a tourney with "Standard" rating and my first putt only went about half way to the hole!!  SMH - I need to get more observant!

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2018 8:04 PM

mantis0014:
    Tourny/Champ greens are great.   I can't handle the slow green speeds now   lol.  

Same here. I really struggle on slower speed greens and rarely play them anymore. That's not to say my putting is great on the faster greens! :-) But I do like them a bit better. I think Tournament (12.0) remains my favorite green speed.  

• xlviii
    502 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2018 9:15 PM

Tournament greens are nice. The great thing about slower speeds is how straight you can hit the putt...they barely break at all.

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2018 10:20 PM

I will say I used to be so good at 10 speed greens...now it’s like putting with a Louisville Slugger on them.

The 12 & 13 speed greens are hard to adjust to at first (knocking some putts off the green are you???), but once you get the hang of it, you’ll never look back.  Although, with this latest Clash Event, I 3 & 4 putted on Merion more than I’d like to admit.  Something seemed screwy the last two days.  I’m blaming it all on the Clash.

And just an FYI...on faster green speeds the breaks are more severe.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2018 6:46 AM

mantis0014:

Roger's back!  LOL, been a while, WB.  ;-)

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, May 19 2018 7:40 AM

YankeeJim:

mantis0014:

Roger's back!  LOL, been a while, WB.  ;-)

Slowly getting back mate after a few health issues.  Thx mate for the reply.  It's made my day :)

• PAGES
RSS