Forums

Help › Forums

"New" sticks IRL

Tue, Jul 10 2018 6:16 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Thu, May 17 2018 8:51 PM

I decided this would be the year I replaced my tired, old Acer clones before hitting the links in my annual "Desert Deals" golf tour. I hit the Bargain Barrel at globalgolf.com for what I think was a very good deal. They were having a sale on what they call their value clubs. Clubs that have been obviously used but are in nice and playable shape.

They happened to have everything I was looking for complete with the right shafts and flexes for me.

Taylor Made 9.5* R7 quad driver, complete with weights

3 Adams Idea Pro Gold tour prototype hybrids (the boxer design), 18*, 20* and 23*

Adams Idea Black CB3 irons, 4I-PW + 49* GW.

Adams Tom Watson Anniversary wedge set of 3 in 52*, 56* and 60*.

Price for the entire package was $290 with free shipping and no tax.

All clubs have original shafts and except for one hybrid I didn't need to re-grip any of them. Inspecting the clubhead and grip on the 20* hybrid it doesn't appear it;s ever been used. Almost all of the irons look as if they've only barely been used. Whoever had them took very good care of them.

I've been to the range twice with them and they are much sweeter swinging and just feel better than my cast clones with the heavier TT Dynamic Gold shafts I've been playing for 10 years.. Now I just need to learn the new distances I'll be hitting these Adams and pick the right 14 clubs to stock the bag with depending on which course I'm playing that day.

Maybe I can sweet talk the missus into letting me hit Desert Dunes Saturday. $17 includes cart and ice chest.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2018 4:56 AM

Brilliant buy, good plan.

Get an escape from the missus, then buy roses ;)

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2018 5:20 AM

Or, I could sweet talk her into going along. Cheaper than roses and both her sister and I have been trying to get her to take up the game now that we're retired. I managed to get her to a driving range for the first time about a week ago.She did ok. Only whiffed once or twice and she got the ball in the air most of the time.

When playing with brand new or really weak players I usually pressure them to use the scramble format. That way they get to hit as many shots as the rest of us but they don't get frustrated with a ton of bad shots on every hole. It also speeds the game up.

I leave it to them to decide what they want to do around the greens. Sometimes they choose to chip and/or putt out on their own; sometimes they continue with the scramble and wind up contributing to the team's score..

I don't take the game so seriously as to fret about not having my own score. I'm just out there to enjoy the day and for that one shot or hole that gets me excited to play another round.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2018 11:21 AM

Another good plan!

For outright beginners, there's another option available. My club offers it at their summer festivities:

Team up with a friend who doesn't know the game. You play from tee to green, and he/she does the putting (which many may have done at minigolf). Scoring and prize awards ad lib.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2018 12:05 PM

Interesting concept. I hope, however, they are encouraging those newbies to hit the driving range and take lessons. 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2018 10:55 PM

Of course they do. Another offer is trial courses, a few hours on the range and on the putting green.

You may know already that the concept of access to the courses is special in Germany - one needs to pass a skills test and a membership to play!

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sun, Jul 8 2018 8:09 AM

Well, I decided after 3 buckets of balls and three rounds that the Adams Watson wedges just weren't for me. They are ok but I just didn't care for the look at address. They weren't instilling a feel of confidence for me. Fortunately I have a buyer lined up who will pay me $15 for each of them.

I went looking and yesterday got a set of three Mizuno MP-R12 wedges in the same lofts (52, 56 and 60) for only $13.50 each!

https://mygolfspy.com/mizuno-mp-r12-wedge-review/

I would have preferred the Black Nickel finish on all of them but unfortunately two were White Satin Chrome; only the 60* was the darker color. Oh well! At that price point I wasn't about to get too picky and the satin chrome looks good too.

They have the stock TT DG Spinner shafts that I've never tried before. I'm a little concerned about user reviews saying those shafts almost prevent low trajectory shots but mostly reviewers rave about these wedges, especially the spin. I'm going to hit the range with them later today to try them out.

Without more range time it's a little early but I think I'll put them in the bag for Tuesday's round at Mojave Resort GC.

I'll probably be the only one on the course because of the weather. My wife won't go because of the heat and my regular golfing buddy had rotator cuff surgery. He moved near the course so he wants to drive the cart while I play just to chat..

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jul 8 2018 12:13 PM

srellim234:
    Or, I could sweet talk her into going along. Cheaper than roses and both her sister and I have been trying to get her to take up the game now that we're retired

Take her and let her drive the cart or ride along as a passenger. If she's interested, she'll get a feel for what an outing is like.  :-)

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sun, Jul 8 2018 5:48 PM

She's worked sheriff's department tourneys in the past so she's been around golf before. The fun we were all having is what actually inspired her to take up the game. After 3 rounds, however, she announced she loves golf but she's finished with golf in the desert heat. She has no problem with me going, though, and she'll go with me when the weather cools off.

• PAGES
RSS