Help › Forums

Old threads

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 7 2009 3:53 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • resozv
    895 Posts
    Mon, Oct 5 2009 8:48 PM

Just wondering ... How ofter does WGT clear out old threads? Did a forum search for old threads & it seems no one has asked this question recently. Seems like archiving or deleting them would free up some server space.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Oct 5 2009 8:58 PM

The very first thread I posted over a year ago still exists, so I don't think any of the the threads have been cleared out or archived, short of the ones that have been locked and/or deleted.

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Mon, Oct 5 2009 10:34 PM

Thanks tibbets. Does it make sense to do this once in awhile? I know it's a regular procedure on some forums I visit.

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Mon, Oct 5 2009 11:10 PM

I was looking for a thread I posted to yesterday & got this...

Not Found: Resource Not Found The resource you requested does not exist.

Anyone know why?
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2009 12:07 PM

Whatever you were looking for got deleted.

For whatever reason.  It no longer exists.

Peace.

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2009 2:01 PM

Thanks Snaike. New question. How'd a 1 day old thread get deleted if 2 year old threads are still here? 

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2009 3:34 PM

The 'cough cough' moderator sometimes comes in and deletes threads and posts.

When and why seems to be up for debate.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2009 3:51 PM

resozv:
    How'd a 1 day old thread get deleted if 2 year old threads are still here? 
    Something was found in the one day thread that was objectionable... the 2 year thread survives because there is nothing found to be in question.

It's not about time, it's about content.

(Trust me, I've plenty of locked/deleted threads) 

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2009 4:06 PM

Oops! Sorry if I offended/insulted anyone.

Please accept my sincerest apologies.

Is that what the Report Abuse button is for?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2009 7:09 PM

The Report Abuse button itself, as far as I know, is dysfunctional. It throws up an error page after you use it to send a report. You probably need to send an email to members@worldgolftour.com instead.

I'm a big enemy of deleting old forum threads. Deleting old forum threads is a sign of amateurishness and disrespect for forum participants. Every forum should be proud of its history & showcase its old threads. Of course, old threads may get locked, bu they should never, ever get deleted. These days, server space is cheap, so having text-based forums archived forever with all of their history is a ridiculous trifle not worth mentioning.

Fortunately, WGT do not delete old forum threads, and I hope they never will. 

However, what WGT sometimes do, and it's very regrettable, is that because there are no designated forum moderators here, sometimes entire recent threads, with many legitimate, carefully worded posts in them, get deleted without reason, warning, or explanation. That is an extremely amateurish thing to do, and adds to the many problems in these forums, the many functionality bugs. Let's hope that, in future, whoever the anonymous person in the background is who does these deletions, will only delete offensive posts, rather than entire threads, carelessly.

• PAGES
RSS