Help › Forums

Windage and elevation help

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 23 2021 12:48 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • GolfNomad
    296 Posts
    Tue, May 15 2018 8:37 AM

Ok I started getting back into this game and I still have the hardest time figuring out / adju sting for windage and elevation affecting my shots.  Basically, right now Im just either adding or subtracting elevation to the distance to the for the actual distance. It seems sometimes this works but not really most of the time. I do the same for windage also and just been estimating how far the ball will move directionally by just "feel"  Can someone either explain how to account for elevation and windage or lead me to a link that has this info?

• Mythanatos
    2,199 Posts
    Tue, May 15 2018 9:29 AM

how much the wind affects your ball depends on your irons and ball trajectory and spin.

in general the longer the ball is in the air the more the wind will affect it. both in distance and in direction.

elevation take the feet. divide by 3. add that to the distance. (ballpark) there are tweeks.

de-elevation take the feet and divide by 4. (some will divide by 3) once again a ballpark figure.

strong crosswinds consider offdinging into the wind slightly.

those are all tips. you are going to have to adapt them to your game and change stuff accordingly.

The question you asked is the hardest to answer. 

If we had a perfect mathematical answer we'd be even better.

• SeveFrost
    1,472 Posts
    Tue, May 15 2018 2:18 PM

GN, i always subtract a third of the drop when hitting to a lower target and add a third (though it can sometimes differ slightly on different courses) when hitting to an elevated green

with wind, i use a simple calculation of adding or subtracting a yard for every 2mph of head/tail wind

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Tue, May 15 2018 3:01 PM

The above (first reply) is a good guideline for elevation adjustments. For wind adjustment, 100% headwind, multiply net yardage (after adjusting for elevation) and multiply by 60% eg, full headwind at 10 mph, net 100 yards of elevation, add 6 yards (106 yards). For full tailwind, multiply by 40%- same shot, hit 96 yards (100 net minus 4 yards). Use 60% for full sidewind, but HIT INTO THE WIND (ie early for left to right; late for right to left)- then for high winds, hit very early or late and add a few yards distance. Other points on the clock face, you will learn by feel but do the math. It's all math and timing. Works best on full backspin shots you already mapped, except wedges- they are all hit flat for full or 90+% power.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Tue, May 15 2018 3:06 PM

SeveFrost:

GN, i always subtract a third of the drop when hitting to a lower target and add a third (though it can sometimes differ slightly on different courses) when hitting to an elevated green

with wind, i use a simple calculation of adding or subtracting a yard for every 2mph of head/tail wind

To be clear, you divide elevation feet by 3- correct. For wind, you are splitting the difference on correct calculation using a constant 50%. This means your headwind shots are generally a bit short, and your downwind shots are usually a bit long. Sayin'.

• SeveFrost
    1,472 Posts
    Wed, May 16 2018 1:47 AM

i was just posting what works for me, i never realised you had all the answers. i won't bother in the future

• fantasy1
    1,221 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2018 1:26 AM

it can also depend on what ball you use to , i use a ball with 5.5 distance so it gos longer say than a ball with 4.5 distance in  h/wind or t/wind. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 18 2018 7:15 AM

SeveFrost:

i was just posting what works for me, i never realised you had all the answers. i won't bother in the future

It works for me, too. Simple math, know what you can do with your setup and play the shot you've seen many times already. :-)

• govandals
    110 Posts
    Tue, Jan 14 2020 1:44 PM

You gonna be okay?

• Tony08888
    558 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 4:59 AM
  • PAGES
RSS