Forums

Help › Forums

Test balls anyone???

Tue, May 8 2018 12:56 PM (3 replies)
  • Woodie312
    671 Posts
    Sun, May 6 2018 1:03 PM

This recent retirement of Nike golf balls and my ensuing and ongoing transition to a new ball has done 2 things. 

First it has made me realize how lazy I had gotten with my approach shots, because I almost always knew I could pull off a shot to save par. In other words, I knew what my club/ball combo was going to do in most situations.

Second it has given me an idea of how WGT could help themselves and players at the same time. Instead of forcing players to buy an entire sleeve of expensive balls just to see how they like the characteristics of the club/ball combination. I think they should offer single balls for sale. They could reduce the durability of these balls to say a 0.5 which would give a player close to a full 18-hole round with them to see how they react with different clubs. That way a player could get a feel for a ball without laying out $5 to $10 bucks for a sleeve of balls that they may not like and would rather not have.

Take a 750 credit sleeve of balls with a durability of 2.5 and do the math it would be 50 credits for a single ball with a durability of 0.5. So, sell the single ball for 75 or 100 credits. I would be willing to do this in order to experiment with new equipment. They rent clubs to help sales so why not sell test balls. They could even make them for practice rounds only if they wanted, that way players could not just buy a single high-level ball to play a tournament with.

I thought about this because I have just finished gambling on my second sleeve of different balls that cost over 600 credits, only to once again feel that they don’t fit my play style. The first sleeve for all its similarity to the specs of my old Nike’s just had too much roll out after landing for me. This second sleeve reacts well to the clubs on a ding, but even a near miss on the meter shows almost no forgiveness. 

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, May 6 2018 6:01 PM

Woodie312:
    Take a 750 credit sleeve of balls with a durability of 2.5 and do the math it would be 50 credits for a single ball with a durability of 0.5. So, sell the single ball for 75 or 100 credits.

But you need to learn WGT math. 

Take a 750 credit sleeve of balls with a durability of 2.5 and do the math it would be 50 credits for a single ball with a durability of 0.5. So, sell the single ball for 300 credits. :-) 

• Lesthanpar
    1,449 Posts
    Mon, May 7 2018 7:27 PM

I think you need not just one ball a sleeve or even 2 of playing them to learn the different ways they play and idiosyncrasies of each ball.I break it down even more figure cost per hit so for example  a level 33 Cally costs 250 credits with a 2.5 durability rating so that is 250/3 = 83.3 cost per ball 83.3/ 120 hits that ball gets = .69 per hit.By comparison look at a level 43 Cally that costs the same 250 credits per sleeve but only has 2 dots durability. So thats the same 83.3 cost per ball but 83.3/ only 100 hits = .83 per hit it costs.There was an old chart I have that detailed the durability of each ball and how many hits each ball gets for the ratings and cost.. While somewhat outdated I think it is still fairly accurate.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Tue, May 8 2018 12:56 PM

I did a thread on this about a year or so ago on this . Give us the option to purchase 1 ball to try out before buying a sleeve . I felt that many players would go for it and it wouldnt hurt anything either . But as other players noted that idea made to much sense for WGT to do it .

RSS