Forums

Help › Forums

best buck for money ball - mapped clubs for them

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 17 2023 12:45 AM (25 replies)
  • rl2203
    744 Posts
    Tue, May 1 2018 4:22 PM

Sorry if I have overlooked posts about this topic in already existing forum posts ... I have looked for about 1h and found lots of interesting posts regarding parts of my questions ...

I have finally (I think) all the clubs one can buy:

Driver lvl103 TM R1 - 3W lvl99 Call Fusion - Irons lvl97 Call Steelhead - 56°W lvl 95 Call MackD - 60°W lvl96 Call MackD - 64°W Clevel and the sabretooth putter lvl98.

So from now on I can spend my credits on balls - up to now I played with the free WGT balls (aka rocks).

Looking at the pro shop table (tks for doing that!!) I find 5 candidates:

Srixon Lvl11 z-star for 180cr

Call lvl33 chrome soft for 250cr

TM lvl47 TP5 (replaces Nike 20XI-S) for 400cr

TM lvl48 TP5x (replaces Nike 20XI-X) for 400cr

Volvik lvl51 crystal for 400cr.

Who has tested these balls and can share his experience with them?

Who has mapped my clubs with the balls in question and can share the club length tables with me? Normally I play drive with 20% BS(backspin), 3W and irons 100% BS and wedges full no spin and pitch/flop 100% BS.

At the moment I earn approx 400cr a week - is that enough the buy the balls ( I play approx 36holes a day and dont loose them).

Is it correct that a 3 distance ball gets 3% extra length on all shots?

Tks in advance for answers

Roland - Tour Legend - Lvl106

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, May 2 2018 9:48 AM

I used to love to test balls and equipment combos.  The Volvik's and Cally 33 or yellows were appealing to me.  I have no charts anymore.

I saw your stats and all I'll say is you have done better w/ the free ball than many of your peers who were using costly balls.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, May 2 2018 9:13 PM

Our equipment is very similar...I've played all those balls. Of the lot, the Volviks will work the best for you.

No, the power thing isn't quite that linear, but it's not far off. The Volviks, frankly, play the closest to expected distance of all the balls I've played.

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Wed, May 2 2018 10:05 PM

Although I am fairly new at this, I think K7JBQ may have supplied the best answer you will get.  

I will say if you have been playing the rocks all this time, you will need to map your clubs for backspin, since all those balls you listed will take spin quite well.

I am still learning and found a huge improvement in control when I got clubs and balls that took spin well.  Right now my poor self is using the Srixon balls - they are probably about 60% of the way to the top balls as far as their attributes but do quite well.

I would say determine how far those credits will go for balls - I would assume the better balls would be no more than 2 sleeves a week, and probably less - maybe just one sleeve.

If it were me, I would pick Volviks and spend a couple of days on practice mapping them for all conditions (tee, fairway, bunker, rough, brush, fescue.....).  I usually hit with and w/o backspin, andfor several percentages (100, 90,80) at least for each situation.

When I got balls with spin, that was much better and then when I got a good 64W, I really got a surprise - backing up on the green instead of just stopping.  That takes some practice!

Good luck with your fine set of clubs.  A good problem to have!

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, May 3 2018 3:39 PM

Sent you some Call lvl33, it's a good 'bench mark' ball, and I should have just stayed w/ those or the yellows, and the Volv. 51 seem to respond well in the short game.

• Dave33200
    2,932 Posts
    Thu, May 3 2018 7:41 PM

I have the same irons as you do. I have played the Srixon lv11’s, & currently play the Call lv 33’s. I like the Call lv 33’s just a little bit better for the spin and just a bit more distance.

As far as a chart I just hit the ball from the fairway at 100% and made an excel chart with 5% marks down to about 80% swing, except for the 64 wedge which I took down to 50% with FBS.

As you already know that all holes & courses play a bit different so you will need to make a mental note, or a file on that course as to which holes play long or short depending on the wind.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Thu, May 3 2018 9:30 PM

You became TL with Starters? Impressive *claps hands*, and leaves thoughts if you need custom balls at all!

If you want top results - credit wins - you'd need the best balls available, and those that you mention may not be good enough. But, for playing just for the fun of it, I'd lay most attention on the meter speed, and second on the spin.

Test the balls from the bottom up. You might include the Tour-SD as a starter, it is fast, has a tad of extra length and some spin. The Srixon and the Cally are slower and a tad better in performance. I sticked with the latter, finding some comfort without being bored by too sloow meters (of the Nikes, back in the day).

Can't say anything about the Volviks. Fancy colours might raise the price, are there any plain white ones?

For economic reasons, you might also include the better WGT balls,
    GI-something, into your search. Another economic thought is to include all the single balls gifted by WGT. AFAIR, many of them are Srixons.

• rl2203
    744 Posts
    Sat, May 5 2018 1:31 AM

Thank you all for your nice and informative answers. I will try the Cally Lvl33 balls or the Volviks and map them. I will start with the Callys.

JFidanza: thanks also a lot for the kind gift, I send you a friends request and hopefully we can play a round together.I hope my post did not sound like begging for gifts. Also I would like to return the gift.

Alosso: I understand that for winning the best balls are needed, but I only play for fun and frankly there are lots of better players around than me. Once I get promoted to champ I will really need a good mapped ball to get a chance to finish within the top50. May the day be long delayed :-)

Roland

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Tue, May 8 2018 9:27 AM

All I've ever played are cheap balls (the 65 credit Tour-SD is a "splurge" for me) so take my input with a grain of salt - but I've heard a number of people say that the WGT Legend+ balls offer relatively good performance for the price.  If you're just playing "for fun", you might consider those as well.

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Tue, May 8 2018 10:33 AM

If you can handle the meter Tour-SD is the best bang for buck ball imo. I use the L48 usually and its playable on pretty much every course and conditions(I'm still with the Nikes though).

Much prefer the free VT ball to the other balls you mentioned apart from the above.

RSS