Forums

Help › Forums

L31 Cleveland wedge 64 issues.

Wed, May 2 2018 10:18 PM (6 replies)
  • Anarchopunx
    4 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2018 7:43 PM

I have found that the 50% power hash mark on this wedge is nowhere near 30 yards regardless of conditions. Has anyone else had this problem? 

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Sun, Apr 29 2018 9:39 AM

Your putter is the only club with a linear meter. Most other clubs change drastically once you get below about 92% power.  ...give or take a little.

Cheers Brett 🙃 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sun, Apr 29 2018 9:59 AM

Anarchopunx:
    I have found that the 50% power hash mark on this wedge is nowhere near 30 yards regardless of conditions. Has anyone else had this problem? 

In addition to the response above, which is spot on, for that particular club, the following formula works fairly well for shots at less than 75%. Use full backspin and add 6 yards to the distance and then take the shot at the appropriate percent. 

So, for a 30-yard shot, try hitting a full swing at 60%. You also might want to experiment with the punch shot. See this thread:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/403805/2786352.aspx#2786352

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Apr 29 2018 11:10 AM

Anarchopunx:

2 good answers above so I won't elaborate BUT there's a really easy way to know how hard to hit that wedge. If you notice, the backswing is a series of movements. Starting at the full swing position, figure out how much each moves subtracts from the full shot distance. Basically, assign a distance to each move. You may even find that info someplace in older posts, Search might help.

(This only applies if you're using a PC-Shot Pal takes care of the mobile version.)

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sun, Apr 29 2018 1:39 PM

@ Anarchopunx

The only thing I should have added to my post above is that a person still needs to be aware of the course and the green. For example, there are some holes on Merion that you wouldn't want to use the method of full backspin, even if hitting the club at 60%. There are some holes you would probably spin it right off the green.

So, you also need to experiment with using no spin as well as some topspin in spots. While you still might need to add some yardage in your calculations, you wouldn't need to add 6 yards. 

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2018 6:52 AM

YankeeJim:

Anarchopunx:

2 good answers above so I won't elaborate BUT there's a really easy way to know how hard to hit that wedge. If you notice, the backswing is a series of movements. Starting at the full swing position, figure out how much each moves subtracts from the full shot distance. Basically, assign a distance to each move. You may even find that info someplace in older posts, Search might help.

(This only applies if you're using a PC-Shot Pal takes care of the mobile version.)

Another good resource is Walk0fLife’s 50 yard punch chart that he allows us to download and use. 

Kind of sucks though not having Avatar movements on mobile.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Wed, May 2 2018 10:18 PM

Anarchopunx:

As noted before, only the putter power/distance is linear or proportional.  I have mapped many of my clubs before at varying percentages (100, 90, 80, 70, 50) and you can see the difference.  

Basically I learned that I need to use different swing types when I get below a 64W 80% shot.  So, I am mapping those now (chip, pitch, punch, flop).

RSS