Forums

Help › Forums

Conceding Putts

Sat, Nov 10 2018 1:20 PM (22 replies)
  • CowboyTed
    53 Posts
    Thu, Apr 26 2018 10:37 AM

I have never seen people get so upset about anything more than conceding putts.
    I did some research and it appears that this has been a hot topic since the '50's.

I am posting the basic rules of conceding below:

The whole article can be read at

https://www.thoughtco.com/conceded-putt-1564034

QUOTE:

A "conceded putt" is a putt that your opponent in a match gives you,...

Of course, conceded putts are not required; if you want to make your opponent hole out on every green, make every putt, just don't offer any concessions.

Or you can concede a couple putts early in the match that are right on the cusp of being sure things, only to make an opponent putt from that length later in the match, when the pressure is higher.

Concessions Are Given, Never Requested

Note that conceded putts are not something you should request; concessions are solely at the discretion of the opponent. It's entirely up to you whether your match play opponent gets to pick up his ball without stroking it into the hole; it's entirely up to your opponent whether or not to concede your putt.

No asking for a concession!

END QUOTE

If someone concedes a putt be gracious,.. don't expect it. If you are out of the hole then concede the hole.

• abbielb
    1,800 Posts
    Thu, Apr 26 2018 11:00 AM

totally agree.......amazes me when tour pros get upset that i make them putt a 3ft hard breaking putt.......( there are many champions i wouldnt give that putt too ) ill be dammed if im giving it to some jumped up tour pro.......that clearly thinks he is better than what he actually is ......my 2 cents regards mickey

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Thu, Apr 26 2018 1:22 PM

because many people are  inherently whiny bi+ches.

I expect to have to putt every putt. If i don't then that's  fine too.

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Thu, Apr 26 2018 10:06 PM

We usually make an agreement before teeing off at number 1 such as “concede everything 2 feet and in”....some guys concede even longer ones during play.  What’s the issue...I take it you’re not friends with your opponent(s)????

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Fri, Apr 27 2018 12:14 AM

Mythanatos:
    I expect to have to putt every putt. If i don't then that's  fine too.

+10!

That's the spirit of golfers!

Alas, gamers are different: They want it quick & easy & therefore expect concedes or even search early agreement.

• mpr2929
    144 Posts
    Fri, Apr 27 2018 5:07 AM

This topic reminds me of a funny "real" golf story from my younger days.  4 of us who all worked at the same company played an 18 hole 2-person team best ball match for money.  My partner's name was Joe and one of my opponents was named Rob.  I don't remember the 4th golfer's name but it doesn't matter here.  We were all "decent" golfers and knew each other fairly well.  Rob was a bit of a braggart and Joe was a project manager who knew how to work people.  After halving the first two holes, all 4 of us were on the 3rd green in regulation and Rob's ball was in the range where you COULD concede the putt but it wasn't really automatic.  As we were walking up to the green, Joe says, "no matter what Rob says, stay out of it and let me handle this."  When we get to the green, Rob looks at Joe and says, "you're giving me this, right?"  Joe say no and they go back and forth for a bit but Rob has to mark his ball.  The 3 of us missed our longer putts so Rob had to make his to win the hole.  Just as Rob starts to pull his putter back, Joe says, "OK, it's a gimme."  Rob starts cussing Joe and Joe looks at me and says, "we lost that hole but we just won the match."  Sure enough, Rob played terribly for the rest of the round and we won rather easily.

I always said I'd never want to be a subcontractor on a job that Joe was managing...

• CowboyTed
    53 Posts
    Fri, Apr 27 2018 3:53 PM

That is a funny story

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2018 11:15 PM

+1!

Like Bobby Jones reportedly said:

"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears."

• Nicole161106
    281 Posts
    Thu, Oct 25 2018 4:57 PM

I have never been in favour of this addition of ccing putts for two reasons, 1- it can slow the game down, and 2- it can cause a bad atmosphere in the game.

1st example- many years ago i joined an alt shot as the random, the other 3 knew each other.

Game was fine until we were on the 15th at BB, they had a 4ft sidewinder and i'm sorry but i wouldn't cc that to anyone on the site, never mind the very average guy who had it.

Anyway my p says to me, oh hurry up and concede, i said you must be joking, but he conceded it, (which brings me to a question, i assumed both players had to?) After this he went on to deliberately play bad shots so of course we lost, which was no skin off my nose as it wasn't for credits and i was using the free ball.

2nd example- in another game  i hit a good shot to inside 2ft on a flat green, it was a 90 sec clock and as the time went to over 60 or so i knew what was coming next from my partner,- "no cc?" Now, he could have holed it in 5 seconds but instead he took almost the 90, just to whine about it.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Thu, Oct 25 2018 5:29 PM

"I have never been in favour of this addition of ccing putts for two reasons, 1- it can slow the game down, and 2- it can cause a bad atmosphere in the game."

...The trick is to set the cc parameters from the start...everybody agrees to cc 2 ft (for example)...game then progresses quickly and without trouble.

The example you cited of the 4 ft breaking putt. I fully agree that player should have putted.

ct

RSS