Forums

Help › Forums

H2H Hot & Cold Streaks: In-the-zone or AI influence?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Apr 19 2018 2:11 PM (2 replies)
  • FRESHCHOPS
    16 Posts
    Thu, Apr 19 2018 12:04 PM

I've just recently made lv. 72.  I made Master at level 60.  I'm still improving but often get discouraged when it feels like inconsistencies, variables, handicaps... whatever it chalks up to, make the game so inconsistent.

I'm playing on an iPad mini. Occasionally I'll play on my mobile (iPhone 8). I haven't played long enough to have experienced all there is, but I can say I've played long enough to go through streaks and ruts plenty enough to confidently say that there is definitely other forces at work to intentionally effect the win / loss outcome of you play.

I noticed when I made Master, nothing much changed... about a week in, my H2H match-ups drastically stiffened.  I gradually grind my way to $1M coins.  At that time, I noticed the H2H matchup "Player's Online" count drastically changed (dropped by 1/3 the usual avg. players online count).  Now, every matchup I play, I match against lvl 90+ Legends+ on average of about 19 in 20 match-ups. I know Tour Pros, Pros and Masters play those rooms because I was frequently matched against them before the competition curve. 

I also started playing 1-hole, $20k matches regularly. So leveling up and playing more $20k than $10k (3-hole) matches, I can understand the competition stiffening...

All that said, the more I play and experience I get, the more I'm convinced that the game goes through manipulated results. Simply put, the way I feel like it manipulates performance and outcomes, is by:

1. Handicapping your accuracy: it will take the slightest meter miss and exaggerate it to the fullest... like the opposite of forgiveness. (example: 1 hair off the ding mark = 10-15 yard drifts)

2. Erratic meter: I've noticed from game to game the meter speeds vary. I've also had countless occasions where I ding the meter, it stops for a split second and then jumps to exactly the first full bar right. These two factors often go together, exaggerated with the handicapped accuracy.

3.Worst case scenario vs. best case scenario: When you're "off" it's often doubled by the fact that your opponents shots are all best case scenarios (no matter their skill level). This is seen throughout the whole match, all the way down to the putting.

If I come off of a ranked course shooting birdie / par / birdie / par... and go to H2H's, my scores average go up by 1, sometimes 2 strokes.

I'm just curious if this has been well discussed or even determined, and if others experience the erratic play in H2H, or if I can chalk it up to just hot and cold streaks.

Also, I feel like the game is punishing me for not playing enough ranked round courses. I'm not sandbagging, I've read about that.  I'm actually not truly competitive (aside from self improvement) nor a bitter looser.  I don't even mind the borage of competition from the Legend tiers. The erratic performance just drives me mad sometimes... makes me want to quit. Is that a way that the game handles their criteria for what they would consider sandbagging... it's completely hosed my play and thinks I should be playing more ranked rounds to move to the next tier? If not that, does it have a way of neutralizing coin winnings in general?

• SidersBest
    873 Posts
    Thu, Apr 19 2018 1:50 PM

FreshChops

It's all in your head and you think about it over and over again. This is just as much a mental game as it is the math. Quit beating yourself up. Play your best shot and forget about it. The best golfers in the world have the shortest memories. Stop the what if's after the shot. if it was good go for the bird, if it was bad, what's my best recovery shot for par. Keep it in the fairway.

Siders Best

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 19 2018 2:11 PM

FRESHCHOPS:
    but I can say I've played long enough to go through streaks and ruts plenty enough to confidently say that there is definitely other forces at work

There are and it's not to intentionally affect the outcome. Your phrase "stiffen up" describes it exactly because that's exactly what this game does. You get better, it gets harder. You have good days and bad days, slumps, great runs, WTF shots and bad beats.

I can't speak to H2H games because I'm a PC player but the same thing goes on in Ready Gos. Ask anyone that plays them, they're constantly offering up examples. :-)

p.s., If you want to get deep into the reasons, search VEM, deviation and precision.

RSS