Forums

Help › Forums

Google Sheets Query...

Wed, Apr 18 2018 5:02 AM (29 replies)
  • WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sun, Apr 15 2018 10:34 AM

Pun intended :)

Is it possible to import a WGT 'official' leaderboard direct to a spreadsheet?

I can import/extract data from other sheets, other websites, etc but, thus far, haven't had any joy trying to do the above.

For now it's a boring copy and paste (Ctrl C + Ctrl V) job to get the end result I require. Two clicks (3 if I want to get rid of the hyperlinks) too many for my liking that also brings in the human error factor.

WGT?

Robert?  :-)

Cheers in advance for any help proffered.

Johnny.

• ScottHope
    10,092 Posts
    Mon, Apr 16 2018 3:15 AM

Tried many different things to get this to work Johnny. I can get data from other tables (headings) on the same page as the leaderboard, but not the leaderboard itself.

I wonder if the fact that the table results can be changed for different tiers would cause this to be such a sticking point?

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Mon, Apr 16 2018 5:56 AM

ScottHope:
    Tried many different thing to get this to work Johnny. I can get data from other tables (headings) on the same page as the leaderboard, but not the leaderboard itself.

The above is as far as I'd got too prior to seeking help here. I'd a bit of a premature elation moment thinking I'd cracked it, you too? pfft. :)

I also tried extracting/importing lists as well as tables. I can get the scrolling leaderboards at the top, which can then be transposed within the spreadsheet, alas they are obviously not what I'm after.

ScottHope:
    I wonder if the fact that the table results can be changed for different tiers would cause this to be such a sticking point?

Not sure about that as the particular CC events I'm looking to extract the data from are open to all members regardless of tier.

Thanks for taking an interest and trying to help, Scott, appreciated.

👍

• ScottHope
    10,092 Posts
    Mon, Apr 16 2018 6:15 AM

WigerToods2010:
    Not sure about that as the particular CC events I'm looking to extract the data from are open to all members regardless of tier.
    That gives me an inkling of hope Johnny. Would it be possible for me to see the results of a similar CC event?

EDIT : Okay, I found a results table that doesn't have a tier dropdown option to it, but I still can't get the information out. Still working on it though.

EDIT 2 : Nope.....still can't get it. : (

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Mon, Apr 16 2018 11:38 AM

Ya lost me @ 'import'  TBH ;))

WigerToods2010:

ScottHope:
    Tried many different thing to get this to work Johnny. I can get data from other tables (headings) on the same page as the leaderboard, but not the leaderboard itself.

The above is as far as I'd got too prior to seeking help here. I'd a bit of a premature elation moment thinking I'd cracked it, you too? pfft. :)

Let's not get physical but...

Luv ya posts J..generally both erudite and funny.

Always one of them                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

;))

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Mon, Apr 16 2018 3:00 PM

Johnny, check with raccondad.  I think he used to do something like this with a season long tourney in my club.  When he left, I found it way too confusing to try and pick it up and continue the tourney.

And at the same time, tell him I am sorry for bringing his name into this.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Apr 16 2018 3:25 PM

Not sure if this will help with what you are trying to do, but I have noticed that I can usually copy and paste an entire section of a leaderboard into a forum post or mail message and after doing so...that section of the leaderboard can then be copied and pasted into an excel spreadsheet.  there are usually a couple options when you paste it into the spreadsheet one is keep source formatting and the other is match destination format or something like those two options.  Selecting the latter of the two appears to transfer all the info over and while you may still need to clean up or modify cell formats, it appears to accomplish what you may be after...

for example, here is what I grabbed off the leaderboard for Legend tier on Erin Hills.  I then copied it and pasted it into a blank excel sheet.... is that what you are trying to do?

1 wendellswhitt Oakhill Country Club 102 56 - 56
    2 MrFunnyWobbl East Coast 95 58 - 58
    2 sanookos BOSTONS BEST 98 58 - 58
    2 Wofo23 Kona All Stars II 96 58 - 58
    2 Furkh Squirrel Killers 102 58 - 58
    2 tobias009 Squirrel Killers 97 58 - 58
    7 Brendanh27
    93 59 - 59
    7 garygun
    98 59 - 59
    7 DoctorEagle Cosa Nostra 99 59 - 59
    7 jw1k Kona All Stars II 102 59 - 59
    7 Bebito Masters and Beyond 95 59 - 59

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Mon, Apr 16 2018 3:33 PM

ScottHope:
    EDIT 2 : Nope.....still can't get it. : (

Nor I, Scott. ;-(

alcaucin:

Luv ya posts J..generally both erudite and funny.

Always one of them                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

;))

I'm touched, Andy... but you know that anyway.  :-)

garyk49:

Johnny, check with raccondad...

...And at the same time, tell him I am sorry for bringing his name into this.

I've asked the question already, Gary. Sure he won't mind you pointing me in his direction - If so he'll see your message above for himself.

Had a few PMs sent but none with a solution.

I also contacted WGT to see if they'd give any pointers and as of this post I await a reply.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Mon, Apr 16 2018 3:43 PM

el3n1:

Not sure if this will help with what you are trying to do, but I have noticed that I can usually copy and paste an entire section of a leaderboard into a forum post or mail message and after doing so...that section of the leaderboard can then be copied and pasted into an excel spreadsheet.  there are usually a couple options when you paste it into the spreadsheet one is keep source formatting and the other is match destination format or something like those two options.  Selecting the latter of the two appears to transfer all the info over and while you may still need to clean up or modify cell formats, it appears to accomplish what you may be after...

for example, here is what I grabbed off the leaderboard for Legend tier on Erin Hills.  I then copied it and pasted it into a blank excel sheet.... is that what you are trying to do?

1 wendellswhitt Oakhill Country Club 102 56 - 56
    2 MrFunnyWobbl East Coast 95 58 - 58
    2 sanookos BOSTONS BEST 98 58 - 58
    2 Wofo23 Kona All Stars II 96 58 - 58
    2 Furkh Squirrel Killers 102 58 - 58
    2 tobias009 Squirrel Killers 97 58 - 58
    7 Brendanh27
    93 59 - 59
    7 garygun
    98 59 - 59
    7 DoctorEagle Cosa Nostra 99 59 - 59
    7 jw1k Kona All Stars II 102 59 - 59
    7 Bebito Masters and Beyond 95 59 - 59

Thanks for the input, but no, that's basically what I have to do at the moment.

Looking to IMPORT (The function involved I reckon) ever changing data without the need to manually update via the copy & paste method. As stated in the opening post I can do so elsewhere but not from a WGT leaderboard.

EDIT: ⬇⬇⬇ No worries, thanks meantime ⬇⬇⬇

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Apr 16 2018 3:48 PM

it occurred to me after I posted this would only help with the first 50 people and not the entire leaderboard which could be 5 or more pages long.  sorry, I haven't ever tried to keep tabs on more than that.  if I learn anything that would be helpful, I will try to revisit the subject to pass it along.  

RSS