Forums

Help › Forums

Spend money on coins or actual new equipment?

Sat, Jun 16 2018 11:19 AM (33 replies)
  • TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Sat, Apr 14 2018 3:22 PM

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sat, Apr 14 2018 4:13 PM

I try...but if you know me, I also try to be thorough : ) it's a delicate balance

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Sat, Apr 14 2018 5:45 PM

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sun, Apr 15 2018 8:27 AM

TopShelf2010:
    If one is actually serious about gathering knowledge, they will take the time to read and try to comprehend what is written.

True Don, it brought to mind the catchphrase...the devil is in the details...even as I have searched for tips to use to improve my own game...a simple straightforward tip, formula or calculation, often needs tweaked or adjusted slightly in the various conditions on the courses/hole/green. 

It is those details that if overlooked  can leave some feeling why some "tips" work sometimes and not others, but may leave you frustrated when a certain tip doesn't work "all the time" and give up on it.  I still have a long way to go, but may be deluding myself to believe I have learned enough quickly enough this past year I can still offer tips or insights even though so many others have far more experience than I.  Maybe I should just leave it to them : )  Afterall, I am still just a legend in training...

• Faz2000
    93 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2018 4:55 PM

Coin games on mobile are fine, but if you play for long enough they lose all point other than friendly contest against other people. You get to a balance of millions of coins, in the top Diamond level or whatever, and there's nothing to play for other than maybe getting a different coloured shirt. They're a good way to play a quick one-hole game to maintain a "consecutive days played" XP bonus though. But don't spend any real world money on coins, ever. Ultimately there's nothing worth it that you can buy with coins, unfortunately.

In terms of hitting an equipment wall.... well yes, that happens. I've been outgunned by competitors in head to head for months because I'm using cheap balls that add no distance and an older driver, but still able to compete because I was doing well on the approach and on the green.

Now that I have bumped up to Legend tier and further back tees, my gear is woefully non-competitive. Par 4s are out of range, long par 5s are seeing 150-170 yard approaches. There's a few holes where I can't REACH the fairway with my drive, it's that tragic. My L48 driver and 64 cent balls aren't getting the job done, no matter what I do. So I'm grinding away on surveys to get the credits to upgrade my sticks, and will dabble in some slightly more expensive balls (still not leaping to this $6-9 per sleeve stuff though).

• ptptpt1
    8 Posts
    Mon, Jun 11 2018 5:37 PM

you either have to constantly watch 2 credit videos, start surveys for a quick 5 credits or pay to keep up with equipment.  You are never really fully up to date in terms of equipment.  

• sky0diver
    119 Posts
    Mon, Jun 11 2018 10:34 PM

Here is my recommendation, as this is what I have done: I used to play exclusively on mobile (as I only found out after several months that this is actually a PC game :-) ). I too rented the coin equipment until I felt I was just not competitive anymore. So I spent 20$ on an "ok" driver and a wedge and kept renting the irons. I played nearly exclusively bracket tournaments for 100 credit entries and did well enough to win more than I put in. this bought me my first set of irons,.... since then I switched to PC for 90% of my time. 

Buying coins is a waste of money, especially as the improvement gear is only available to you in one on one games. in tournaments it's not applicable. So I suggest you focus on equipment and not spent money on gear that only screws up your game ones you play a tournament.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2018 6:01 AM

ptptpt1:

you either have to constantly watch 2 credit videos, start surveys for a quick 5 credits or pay to keep up with equipment.  You are never really fully up to date in terms of equipment.  

Totally wrong. I havent  put but $20 in the game in almost 4 years but with videos surveys and my few meager winnings I have all the top equipment except balls and the Callaway balls I play are more than good enough.And there players with all the top equpmentbincluding balls that have never put an money in the game at all.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2018 7:07 AM

borntobesting:
    Totally wrong. I havent  put but $20 in the game in almost 4 years but with videos surveys and my few meager winnings I have all the top equipment except balls and the Callaway balls I play are more than good enough.And there players with all the top equpmentbincluding balls that have never put an money in the game at all.

+1

Last equipment I purchased was the Sabertooth putter, which was quite some time ago. And I really didn't need that. My versa putter (Level 70) was plenty good enough. So, last equipment I purchased that I really needed was well over a year ago. 

In fact, when I get to the next level (103), I probably won't even buy the driver there. 

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2018 3:30 PM

RSS