Forums

Help › Forums

Spend money on coins or actual new equipment?

Sat, Jun 16 2018 11:19 AM (33 replies)
  • DarthMo0
    43 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2018 3:46 PM

I play exclusively on mobile, and I like the way you can use the apparel sponsors to "improve" your play through the different items.

However, I seemed to have hit a wall as now all the apparel upgrades are 30k coins while my coin supply hovers between  30k and 50k.  I didn't really want to spend real money, but it seems it's inevitable as you tier up.  I was doing OK renting the coin club sets combined with the apparel boosts, but as I've become more experienced in the game, there are numerous shots that are essentially impossible using this lower end gear.

Of course the easy answer is just win more games, but playing in the higher stakes coin rooms pits you against tougher competition and playing the back tees which leads to more of a .500 win percentage which is actually a net loss.  Accumulating the hundreds of thousands of coins now needed to boost my player seems impossible.

So, should I pony up for a stack of coins or buy actual equipment?  The reason I lean toward coins is because they're necessary to play the game anyway and with solid play, you can keep replenishing them for free.  However, the obvious drawback is if I go on a losing streak that wipes out the coin supply, I'm back to starter equipment and no coins.

Or is there a happy medium in between?

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2018 6:34 PM

An honest input here, save your money, forget the coin games, and go to the practice courses. Then, practice, practice, practice, then go back and practice some more. I'm not being nasty, but there are some really good players, that are winning for a very good reason, they practiced.  I didn't look to see if you are in a cc or not. Join a good one where the better players are willing to help you, learn the ropes, and you will start winning more!  

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2018 9:54 PM

WGT want and need you to spend money. If you enjoy the game and want better gear then buy it.  Or understand that there are players out there that will have an advantage over you.

• kingiling
    512 Posts
    Fri, Apr 13 2018 7:34 AM

I play almost exclusively on mobile too so hear ya.  I would not spend money on coins, but spend it on credits to get better equipment.  At the same time, you can get credits just by "watching" videos while you are doing something else, like watching tv or browsing the internet, or whatever.  It's all about getting credits to get buyer better equipment, rather than using any of the equipment you can rent with coins.  The real game changers for me were the L48 driver, the L59 Pings, and good wedges.  That was a bit back, so do your research with what is newly available.  Equipment before expensive balls too.  Just my experience, hopefully that helps, but everyone finds their own way.  Good luck, have fun!

• Mutantz
    27 Posts
    Fri, Apr 13 2018 9:11 AM

Balls should cost coins not credits, rentals should cost coins, I rented once with coins, not sure how I did it.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Apr 13 2018 9:15 AM

Luckystar5:

An honest input here, save your money, forget the coin games, and go to the practice courses. Then, practice, practice, practice, then go back and practice some more. I'm not being nasty, but there are some really good players, that are winning for a very good reason, they practiced.  I didn't look to see if you are in a cc or not. Join a good one where the better players are willing to help you, learn the ropes, and you will start winning more!  

Totally Agree. Practice is important to work out your game

• Bernie395
    576 Posts
    Fri, Apr 13 2018 9:47 AM

As others have stated more practice rounds are the way to go for now. Spend some more time there and you'll gain the skills to build your coins up even more.  

As far as purchasing coins and equipment I'd probably hold off on that for a bit.  I see that you're level 63 at the moment.  I'd recommend using rented clubs until you level up a bit more.  Equipment starts getting pretty good in the mid 80's levels.  Anything you buy before then will end up being throwaway equipment.  

Good luck!

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Fri, Apr 13 2018 10:39 AM

DarthMo0:
    I seemed to have hit a wall as now all the apparel upgrades are 30k coins while my coin supply hovers between  30k and 50k. 

Just because the game offers a coin upgrade doesn't mean you need it for your game.  I have passed and not upgraded some options, simply because I seem to play well enough without spending the extra 30 or 50,000 coins.  

Since you are on mobile, you should be or should have been working on watching those 2 credit videos to build a bankroll to upgrade your clubs from the start.  Using the "coin rentals" is a great way to avoid buying clubs at the lower levels until you "unlock" better clubs that will last you longer in the upper levels.  Seeing how you have reached L63 there are definitely some good options available to you that would last you until and still play well on the Legend tees, especially with the sponsor boosting gear.  

As for coin bankroll management...you need to have a winning percentage around 63% or more at the level you are playing otherwise you are losing because of the "rake" or cut that WGT takes out of each coin match.  Some players build their apparel around those items that increase their coin return lowering the rake but you still need to be better than 50% or you just are not making enough to build your bankroll and you are simply feeding WGT your coins slowly but surely.  If playing lower stakes where your win percentage is better even though you build your bankroll slower, then play at the level that you get the best return.  Playing higher won't help if you are losing more.  

Also, maybe finding a mobile only club with tips and suggestions will help.  While our club has a growing mobile group with some resources and tips, some clubs specialize in mobile only play.  

so the short answer, use the coin rentals while you can...play in coin rooms where you are winning 60-70% of the time versus a room where you break even and are not building your bankroll, start or continue working on building credits by watching silly 2 credit videos...then make some smart club upgrades that will benefit you for an extended period of time, then you won't need the coin gear any longer and can use the coins strictly for your coin matches.  

also, to offset the losing stretches you and all of us can face, try to have about 20 buy in's minimum for the coin room you are attempting to play in.  otherwise, if you take a shot in a higher stakes room catch a bad run or run into a series of good players you can blow your entire bankroll fast!  then you really have to grind it out or start buying coins.  play smart, and strategically and you will make better decisions.

• DarthMo0
    43 Posts
    Fri, Apr 13 2018 3:43 PM

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm asking here.

I'm not suggesting that spending money is going to immediately lower my average by three or four strokes.  What I'm asking about the situations that have become familiar where there is an equipment deficiency.  For example:

Par 4s over 450 yards or Par 5s over 550 yards, or often simply playing into a headwind:  Without a strong tailwind, with the clubs I'm currently using, it's basically impossible to reach these greens in regulation.  I'm either way short for any controllable club, or a 3 Wood that goes sailing past the green if I can get it there.  These holes are at best a par for me while I've played others that have no problem getting reasonable birdie putts.

12.0 Greens with heavy sloping:  These are the most frustrating because what is a well placed shot regularly ends up rolling off the green because my current equipment isn't capable of spinning the ball.  Then from there, often chipping/pitching becomes a nightmare as the shot often ends in a worse place again because of the inability to spin and stop the ball.

The 9 hole head-to-head matches almost always are decided by one or two strokes, so any time either of these types of conditions pop up, I'm probably going to lose.  I'm aware that practice always helps, but just from observing opponents' results with varying equipment that it does make a difference at some point.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Sat, Apr 14 2018 3:12 PM

While it is exceedingly difficult to answer and speak to every single nuance of the game, I felt I tried to offer some suggestions on how to navigate the options before you... but yes to remain competitive on the challenging holes building credits to improve your clubs will help, but you can also focus on some aspects of the sponsor apparel that increases the spin of your irons or wedges... in some cases you may end up using multiple items that add spin but you will likely need to compromise on something else.  

Playing coin games in the lower entry fee allows you to remain on a "forward" tee compared to a higher tier player...but there are going to be players at your tier with top end equipment.  Renting the coin gear is a good option until you reach a suitable Level that unlocks some of the better equipment once you have accumulated the credits to purchase them for yourself...but playing coin gear rentals alone will likely always leave you lagging behind your peers who either purchases clubs or spent the time building up credits by watching the 2 credit videos until they earned enough to buy the clubs they wanted.  That can take weeks, months and in my case I invested the better part of a year but nearly all of my credits and clubs were purchased from watching those 2 credit videos.  It can be done but it can take time.  

If you feel you are at such a severe disadvantage, then take a break and strictly spend the time you would have spent playing at "clicking through" the 2 credit videos.  Some people will earn a few hundred in a day and upwards of a 1000 or more within a week.  Doing so, makes you appreciate or consider your club purchases more carefully otherwise selecting a club you end up wanting to replace a short time later feels like a wasted purchase.  If those clubs or irons cost a few thousands credits you can feel like it was weeks or months of lost time.  Choose your purchases carefully...

RSS