Forums

Help › Forums

Replay showing what club was hit

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jun 2 2019 4:41 PM (22 replies)
  • kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2018 7:11 AM

I think that it would be nice if the replay's showed you what club was hit.  That's all, nice an easy.

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2018 7:50 AM

Yes, I would like that too, especially today when my 8 iron shot went 193 yards into the brush with a 4 mph tailwind. : (

But every bit of data that gets added to the information required to pump out a replay has to be stored. And when you consider how many millions of replays there must be, even a couple of bytes of extra data soon mounts up.

Having said all that, I don't really need to know where the ball ends up before I've even watched the replay, so that bit of information could be removed from the screen, because that kind of renders the whole thing pointless. So, perhaps they could replace that with the club used, tada!  : )

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2018 2:13 PM

Agree, that was my motivation for the suggestion.  Had one of those whaaaaat moments as well.  I was pretty sure I clubbed up instead of down, but it would have been nice to confirm that.

I don't know about adding to the information store being an issue.  Sure it'll add more data, but disk by comparison to other compute resources is cheap.  I'd imagine disk isn't something they're lacking with all the data the game accumulates. 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2018 3:16 PM

There must be some club information included, because the game knows which type and brand to show. Thus, numbers 3 to 10 (last for PW) must not be too much...

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2018 5:02 PM

Good point right there.  Can't see it being too difficult.

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 10:57 AM

I'm sure many of us have played shots and, looking at the outcome, wondered what on earth happened. So you saved it, watched it and were still none the wiser. Well, in response to my earlier post in this thread, I might be able to shed a little light on that.

Here is my replay example.

It didn't go according to plan. How the hell did my full backspin 8 iron shot go 193 yards into the brush behind the green, resulting in a lost ball!

I did contact WGT at the time to see if they could explain it, and they just said that with a tailwind (4mph) and a ball with a good distance attribute, I had possibly used too much power. Somewhat vague I thought, but I made do with it and moved on.

Today, I made a discovery about replays and found out that I made that shot with a 5 iron, no wonder it went over the damned green! Lol.

I still don't know whether it was my error or WGT's for the wrong club being used, but as I'm becoming a bit of an old codger, I'll pin the blame on me. A 5 and an 8 look kinda similar if things are a bit fuzzy, hehe.

If you have any replays where you thought you used the right club but something went wrong, post a replay link an I might be able to tell you what club was actually used to make the shot. I can also tell you how much spin, power and type of shot was used

Scott.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 12:19 PM

Come on Scott, spill the beans.  How can you tell which club was used?

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 1:50 PM

I'm very sorry MM, but this time I will be keeping this a closely guarded secret. I'm not hacking into anything, that isn't my MO (Lt. modus operandi).

I do share a lot of information with you guys, no one could accuse me of being stingy with techy stuff, but I'm afraid this one is staying close to my chest.

You remember what happened with Oakmont, we had a backdoor, the info was shared, the backdoor was shut.  : (

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 2:04 PM

ScottHope:
    You remember what happened with Oakmont, we had a backdoor, the info was shared, the backdoor was shut.  : (

I understand wanting to keep the information to yourself. But Oakmont was open for a long time after the backdoor was known. I played it as late as July of this year. Oakmont was taken off WGT in spring 2017.

So, there's not a direct connection between the info being shared and the backdoor shut. Throughout that time period, WGT had to be aware of it. 

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2018 2:25 PM

Robert, I'm quite happy to accept that there may be no connection between sharing the info about Oakmont and it being shut down. Those were just my feelings and in the scheme of things, really don't matter much. ; )

RSS