Forums

Help › Forums

Clash 68 with Set of the Week

Mon, Apr 16 2018 3:11 PM (186 replies)
  • Dave33200
    2,932 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2018 4:04 PM

I usually like playing in the Clash but not this week. It’s wreaking havoc on my average. It’s just no fun for me, I’ll set this one out and any other future clash that includes a set of the week. Maybe if you made the SOTW Clash not count towards our average I wouldn’t mind playing.

This idea is kind of like when they came out with the “New Coke” in 85. New Coke was a flop.

• Nancy1959
    7,061 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2018 4:14 PM

CEverett12:

I think you have to give them credit for trying , We have been complaining about the format for a long time ,  So they tried something new .  However the outcome will be the same ol thing .  At least they tried .

I agree with this....all except for the blanket "the outcome will be the same" comment.  Yes, The Georgian will win, but we already knew that.  The outcome will not be the same as far as participation across the board.

It may appear to be decent participation because of the point totals, but that's only because you can make a lot more points than usual in this Clash.  Everyone loses with this stupid "club set of the week" format, including WGT who makes a lot less money!!!

• danooo1
    3,422 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2018 4:20 PM

I put in a few rounds but I'm not happy with this format at all.

It's insulting to give up the clubs we worked hard to unlock and pay through the a.s.s for.

I think I'll just be doing the XP glitch till WGT realizes how much they are losing down this path.

xx--Connie

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2018 4:40 PM

Nancy1959:
    It may appear to be decent participation because of the point totals, but that's only because you can make a lot more points than usual in this Clash.

Not so fast. The points accrued by the players during the round are much lower, because of the gear. So yes, it's about the same in the end.

Nancy1959:
    Everyone loses with this stupid "club set of the week" format, including WGT who makes a lot less money!!!

Nope, this is a fun way of playing and by using this format, everyone can play the SOTW without any entry fees, which wasn't possible before. It also takes more skill to play this way, especially in regards to course management and adapting to unfamiliar situations.

As for WGT losing money, you gotta be kidding. The vast majority is using their free passes and the minority, that buys them with cash (mostly your CC), is still playing ;-)

• RyjaTybas
    5,139 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2018 4:43 PM

This SOTW nonsense is probably about making bucks for WGT.... surprise, surprise

Every hit costs money - and that multiplies with unfamiliar clubs - and with the added risk of more lost balls - which can be very costly.

I'm rejecting it on golfing grounds - but it'll save money too!

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2018 4:48 PM

Nancy1959:
    Everyone loses with this stupid "club set of the week" format, including WGT who makes a lot less money!!!

Not everyone!  And, WGT was likely quite aware of the fact it would potentially impact participation, but they attempted to incorporate aspects that would potentially balance things out somewhat, offer point incentives for some skill based aspects of game play.  

I have my own love hate relationship with SOTW but the beauty of it, is that it challenges players to actually think about their shot types, become a little more creative in landing zones versus just trying to throw darts with the same ole set of clubs...the game becomes routine...

but, even with SOTW and all of the work many people on here have given with tips on shot types, calculations, spreadsheets, even with SOTW it is possible to play reasonably well...no we may not see a lot of 8, 9, 10 under par for 9 holes but how often do you see that in real life golf anyway.  

The other side of this, is it can also reveal strengths and weaknesses in a persons game.  It could even help some people see what before were small judgement errors exaggerated because their "good clubs" were compensating for their little mistakes.  

I am not saying this SOTW clash has gone over extremely well, it definitely has it's major shortcomings, but there is value that many are blatantly dismissing out of their own frustrations, which some can also be understood to an extent. But I do like certain aspects that were introduced to reward points for sand saves, greens in regulations, etc because those are reflective of a more skilled player not just wacking the ball around endlessly.  Clubs could then provide better mentorship of their lower tier players helping them in these areas building more club support and connections among players.

• n2nick0103
    7 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2018 4:55 PM

This is completely outrageous.  WGT is ripping us all off.  We pay good money clubs we buy our of our pocket to get the best game possible.  WGT keep updating every several weeks and tweaking the courses.  We adjust to their tweaks.  That is fine.  But when they come in and take our right to have our clubs we paid for out of the blue that is highway robbery and fraud.  They didn't even tell us they were going to change the rules.  I for one will not play any CC EVENTS until WGT changes back to letting us play with oui clubs.

• Nancy1959
    7,061 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2018 5:36 PM

I don't mind the "extra point" offerings....it only helps our CC win by larger margins without having to play so much.  But I disagree that it "shows one's weaknesses" in playing this game.

It was worth a try, I imagine in WGT's mind to mix it up this way.  But surely they have to realize that they made a big mistake in doing so.

• sheepsass
    648 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2018 5:50 PM

When will we realize that anything our hosts do......

is to make $$$$$

meee.  Just a ....lol

• Nancy1959
    7,061 Posts
    Thu, Mar 15 2018 6:02 PM

sheepsass:

When will we realize that anything our hosts do......

is to make $$$

meee.  Just a ....lol

Yes, and that's exactly my point.  They are making a lot less money in this Clash with the format of playing with their "set of the week" clubs.

RSS