Golf Courses...Design Thread...Students of the game Unite

rated by 0 users
Sat, Nov 28 2009 7:48 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 5:07 AM

lol

Ive always been interested in golf course design and theory..

So far I enjoy the balance in courses we have here in WTG.

Im including St Andrews in this discusion as this is supposed to be our next offering.

Im elated with that..

There are different styles of courses in the world.

Classic risk and reward..Simplified you have to carry a bunker, or body of water.

You might have to hit the ball nervously close to  these things to get the optimum angle at the flag.

Strategic golf where wide fairways dotted with trouble to avoid as you try to place your ball to get the best advantage for your approach.

Target golf couses such as TPC Sawgrass..hit it here or die

Sometimes these options are subtle or in your face. Great courses from around the world mix these elements such as Beth Page for example. Some mostly favor the strategic elements such as St Andrews...

You can even add the element of wind and terrain in the design  to make you think about a roling ground game as a viable option.

We have a good mix when st andy opens her doors sometimes soon..

What would be your choice for a 4th course that would give itself  something different to add to our enjoyment..Would love to know your opinion and why it matters to you..

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 9:26 AM

Frankly I hate St Andrews, a much better choice would have been Turnberry or Carnoustie.  The TPC is a welcome change to what we have, although Pete Dye designed the Ocean Course as well as the TPC at Sawgrass.  I don't care for Bethpage, a much better choice would have been WInged Foot.  Pebble Beach would be good as well.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 9:33 AM

Ah yes...thanks for responding..i love a good discussion.

I helped Steve Gazsi with a rendition of Wingfoot West for Sierra sports and the old jack Nicklaus 6

so im very familiar with Wing..Wonderful course..I really like the old style courses of Donald Ross, Mckenzie, Tillinghaust..the list is long..

I think if I could pick  only one Links course, I might opt for Muirfield, perhaps Royal Troon..Carnasty is a bit too much target course for me..

An american designer worth noting is the arch of Brandon Dunes in Or.  HIs name is Tom Doaks and is a designer worth paying attn too..

Ben Crenswaw has also done a few spectacular courses and knows how to build them in the classic way.

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 7:04 PM

Troon is nice but of all the courses we played in Scotland, I enjoyed Turnberry the most.  When we played Carnoustie we had a 35 MPH wind and rain.  The day was more tame at Turnberry and St Andrews.

I loved Winged Foot, played both 18's as well as Shinnecock Hills and another course near there, it was something National can't recall the name but it was out on the Hamptons as well.  I really am a big Donald Ross fan, growing up in the Carolinas and playing a number of his courses, including Pinehurst.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 7:36 PM

Ah man lucky you...I know which course your talking about..the National one but cant pull the name of it out of my head right now..perhaps someone else will enlighten us

• Jeremy815
    8 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2009 10:40 AM

I want MORE courses!  I don't care what they are!  I'm bored with the few on here!

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Tue, Nov 17 2009 8:15 PM

TarheelsRule:

it was something National can't recall the name but it was out on the Hamptons as well

?????!!!!! lol, you mean national golf links of america? lol, i played a nice course in pennsylvania, i think the name was like oaktree, something with an oak in it, hahaha

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Tue, Nov 17 2009 9:50 PM

Yes  thats the one  a great  authentic links course...perhaps the only real pure links course in the us...im surprised no one has built a course in LOng Beach wash  some very authentic links style land...

Of course in apologies to our brothers in the U.K. There is only one real links area.

Although your cousins in austrailia would argue about there outstanding sand belt courses around Melbourne also  apply..

Im trying to use links as a metaphore for the ground style of golf as opposed to our arial type of typical US course.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Wed, Nov 18 2009 4:57 AM

danohi50:

Yes  thats the one  a great  authentic links course...perhaps the only real pure links course in the us...im surprised no one has built a course in LOng Beach wash  some very authentic links style land...

Of course in apologies to our brothers in the U.K. There is only one real links area.

Although your cousins in austrailia would argue about there outstanding sand belt courses around Melbourne also  apply..

Im trying to use links as a metaphore for the ground style of golf as opposed to our arial type of typical US course.

courses like maidstone, sebonack, national, and shinnecock fit into the category of "meadowland style." They are not supposed to be links courses in ireland and scotland.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Nov 18 2009 7:35 AM

Keep in mind the cost factor here. Somebody has to go out and do the legwork, taking all the pictures and such. It isn't like San Francisco is a cab ride away from Scotland. 

Any of the CTTH courses would be sweet, especially Pinehurst, which they already have pictures of. I'm sorry St. Ugly is such a high priority but beggars can't be choosers. Get ready for 100 ft putts and greens with 2 flags on them.

YJ

• PAGES
RSS