skip nav

Forums

When will WGT transition away from Flash?

Wed, Aug 21 2019 2:51 PM by MoundOfSound. 35 replies.
  • el3n1 United States
    2,570 Posts
    Tue, Jul 2 2019 1:55 PM

fobby1980:
    The truth is putting on mobile is much, much harder than PC.

I would say it is different, not necessarily harder. 

If you try and go back and forth between both platforms it can throw you off a bit... 

I actually feel putting is easier on mobile at the champ 13 and 14 green speeds as they seem to be slower than the same green speeds on the desktop platform at least based on the numbers or calculations I try to use…

also, mobile users have the magic 15th club or the wedge with FBS making some of those very tricky double breakers or big elevation changes on the green FAR easier on mobile.  

I also think any top player will easily or quickly adapt although, I do agree that some adjustments would be made. 

Digg
    Delicious
  • fobby1980 United States
    163 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2019 6:59 AM

Yeah, ask the top 156 qualifiers for this year’s VUSO what platform they’re using and then tell me mobile is the same as PC. 

Digg
    Delicious
  • el3n1 United States
    2,570 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2019 9:05 AM

fobby1980:
    tell me mobile is the same as PC. 

um, are we writing in different languages... what I wrote was --

I would say it is different, not necessarily harder. 

If you try and go back and forth between both platforms it can throw you off a bit... 

-----

that said, the type of mobile device a person is using can possibly effect how well the player does.  I would think trying to play on a small phone is a little harder than a small tablet.  As the mobile platform device increases in screen size, I would say it likely also feels easier.  I am aware some mobile users play on what would be considered large or "small PC" size screen tablets.  Take the Samsung Galaxy View at 18.4" screen size.

Do you really think a person playing on a large tablet screen will view the mobile game the same as a person on a cell phone?  There are multiple layers to the mobile playing experience. 

Some mobile users also use OTG cables to connect a mouse to their tablet/device.  Others may download and play on an android emulator they then play on a desktop PC.

There are simply many variations involved and I am sure they all seem to play slightly differently from each other.

Again, subtle adjustments may be applied to each platform but it does not make one qualitatively harder than the other... and I feel focusing on one specific platform actually makes that particular platform a bit easier to become more consistent on.

The current mobile only weekly WGT tournament is on Kiawah, one of the courses where players feel "dots lie" especially on mobile... yet there are already 4 Tour Champs with 27's, 1 Champ with a 27, and 2 Tour Legends with 28's.

Those scores are all comparable to what you will see on desktop PC by the top players.

Digg
    Delicious
  • Robert1893 United States
    5,142 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2019 2:01 PM

Digg
    Delicious
  • Robert1893 United States
    5,142 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2019 2:11 PM

Digg
    Delicious
  • borntobesting United States
    8,223 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2019 5:47 PM

First WGT has said many times the Web version of the game isn't going away, 

Second who says WGT has to transition away from flash, All that is going to happen is that Adobe will discontinue updating flash. As long as you have a browser that supports flash ,and there are many, you will be able to play flash based games, 

And third if they do leave flash it might be on a platform like Steam. There was a survey a couple of years ago about WGT going to Steam, 

Digg
    Delicious
  • jeremygrogan United States
    22 Posts
    Fri, Aug 16 2019 9:43 AM

YankeeJim:

They're only going to stop supporting it, it's not going away. 

Its fully going away dude!  Here is the article:

Saying goodbye to Flash in Chromeony Laforge

Today, Adobe announced its plans to stop supporting Flash at the end of 2020.

For 20 years, Flash has helped shape the way that you play games, watch videos and run applications on the web. But over the last few years, Flash has become less common. Three years ago, 80 percent of desktop Chrome users visited a site with Flash each day. Today usage is only 17 percent and continues to decline.

This trend reveals that sites are migrating to open web technologies, which are faster and more power-efficient than Flash. They’re also more secure, so you can be safer while shopping, banking, or reading sensitive documents. They also work on both mobile and desktop, so you can visit your favorite site anywhere.

These open web technologies became the default experience for Chrome late last year when sites started needing to ask your permission to run Flash. Chrome will continue phasing out Flash over the next few years, first by asking for your permission to run Flash in more situations, and eventually disabling it by default. We will remove Flash completely from Chrome toward the end of 2020.

If you regularly visit a site that uses Flash today, you may be wondering how this affects you. If the site migrates to open web standards, you shouldn’t notice much difference except that you'll no longer see prompts to run Flash on that site. If the site continues to use Flash, and you give the site permission to run Flash, it will work through the end of 2020.

It’s taken a lot of close work with Adobe, other browsers, and major publishers to make sure the web is ready to be Flash-free. We’re supportive of Adobe’s announcement today, and we look forward to working with everyone to make the web even better.

Article URL: https://www.blog.google/products/chrome/saying-goodbye-flash-chrome/

Digg
    Delicious
  • YankeeJim United States
    24,608 Posts
    Fri, Aug 16 2019 12:17 PM

jeremygrogan:
    ts fully going away dude!  Here is the article:

Dude that quote was from over a year ago when this wasn't in the mix.

Digg
    Delicious
  • jeremygrogan United States
    22 Posts
    Fri, Aug 16 2019 1:07 PM

YankeeJim:

Dude that quote was from over a year ago when this wasn't in the mix.

That's fine, the quote can be from whenever; but it doesn't change that flash is dead in 2020.  I hope WGT moves to another platform because I and tens of  thousands of people will drop before we would move to MS Edge or any other crappy web browser.

Digg
    Delicious
  • fatdan United States
    3,332 Posts
    Fri, Aug 16 2019 1:25 PM

jeremygrogan:
    1st of all Chrome is owned by Google, so the article is good for them....Chrome is more invasive than Microsoft or Facebook by the way...

2ndly, educate urself before posting...

For existing Flash content, the eventual, final version of the Flash plug-in will still work after 2020, and Adobe will work with browser makers to ensure security vulnerabilities are patched. ...

Digg
    Delicious
RSS