Forums

Help › Forums

WGT History and Milestones!

Mon, Mar 19 2018 3:40 AM (63 replies)
  • HenryKawa
    1,721 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2018 6:25 PM

HOW WGT BEGAN:

World Golf Tour is an online multiplayer virtual golf Game. WGT Golf is played virtually on actual golf courses located in the USA the UK the Netherlands, Canada and Mexico, using a patented 3D photorealistic technology. 

Co-founders of WGT Media Chad Nelson and YuChiang Cheng collaborated in 2006 to come up with a high-quality golf game simulation that could be played for free on the Internet, and compete with or surpass the visual quality of console video sports games. Part of the intended goal was to have a fully integrated social golfing networking website. They recruited JF Prata and Phil Gorrow of Electronic Arts to build the physics game engineerer that interfaces the thousands of photographs of each golf course that are used to create the WGT Golf experience. WGT Media launched a demo of the site in 2007 and commenced an open beta test in October 2008. The first golf course WGT Media captured and developed for play was the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, located in South Carolina.

Because of its authenticity in photographing and using actual golf courses for game development, WGT Golf differs from standard console video sports games that are produced fully by computer graphics, rendered by animators.  Using this particular process of game development, it can allow real golfers to play virtually on real golf courses at WGT Golf and then take that knowledge and experience out to the actual golf courses themselves to test their skills and ability.  Members of the PGA have even practiced at WGT Golf before going to tournaments.

WGT Media does not charge a fee to play the HD courses it has developed (although there is a green fee for licensed non-HD courses). WGT Media derives revenue from high-profile online tournament sponsors, advertisements, and in-game micro transactions for upgrading player golfing equipment and for different choices in costume avatar clothing.  Tournament cash prizes can be won and then used to buy virtual goods, like new clubs and clothing to customize the in-game avatar.  In January 2011, a foursome completed the 100 millionth virtual round of golf played on WGT Golf. In October 2013, World Golf Tour Media released the mobile version for tablets and smartphones.

Special Players:

I have a list of very special talented players, if anyone is interested in that list.

• LEDzZzEPP
    501 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2018 6:58 PM
  • HenryKawa
    1,721 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2018 7:21 PM

LED, are you interested in knowing who some of WGT top players are?

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2018 8:24 PM

@HK

I'm interested in knowing if you lied about donating credits to the Gift of Golf Foundation. 

• HenryKawa
    1,721 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2018 9:21 PM

Okay I will answer your question.  I am the best player of all time who has ever lived.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Mon, Mar 5 2018 1:38 AM

Robert1893:

@HK

I'm interested in knowing if you lied about donating credits to the Gift of Golf Foundation. 

Okay I will answer your question... ;-)

YES, He did !

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Mar 5 2018 2:10 AM

HenryKawa:
    I am the best player of all time who has ever lived.

• craigswan
    30,936 Posts
    Mon, Mar 5 2018 2:30 AM

has turned into this .

• craigswan
    30,936 Posts
    Mon, Mar 5 2018 2:31 AM

• craigswan
    30,936 Posts
    Mon, Mar 5 2018 2:33 AM

it was .

history of top golf on you tube .