Help › Forums

Lost Balls - Water / OB

Fri, Dec 20 2019 6:25 AM (44 replies)
  • SidersBest
    873 Posts
    Wed, Feb 14 2018 11:15 AM

Ed

You wrote this on 6-JAN-18

[Sometimes when we think we are helping ourselves by unlocking the better clubs, the path we take to get there may not be "helping" us in the long run if it is only going to force us into another promotion as a result of saturation where we will then be forced to compete against even better players.  

Time to slow down and try to enjoy as well as learn the more involved aspects of the game!]

Take your own advice.

Siders Best 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Wed, Feb 14 2018 11:36 AM

That's correct and I have slowed down...but it doesn't validate or excuse or dismiss the discrepancies that pop up with the game.  

It doesn't mean everyone should roll over and take it when things do not fall in line.  Sometimes identifying and reporting those things could allow for "glitches" to be addressed, issues with coding that could be causing problems to be fixed.   

After investing a lot of time, anyone, including myself can start to get drawn into the game...yelling at a computer screen even when we know it will never respond...So, sometimes we vent in a forum where others share the same or similar experiences...

Oh, it is also probably why I have posted more in the main WGT forums than I had any time prior to that date as well, as I am playing less but staying connecting by participating more in the forums.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Wed, Feb 14 2018 5:01 PM

@el3n1

You're correct that mobile players cannot save replays anymore. But in the past, I've just sent them a full description of what happened. And they always replied and took my word for what happened. No video documentation was required.  

I guess I just bristle a bit when users are so quick to ascribe ill motives (for example, greed) as the reason when it's probably just a software glitch that happened. Stuff like that happens all the time. In other words, I seriously doubt that any of us have never had a software glitch happen in other apps or programs that we use. That's just the way it is.

Should some of this stuff not happen? I suppose. But for people to go right to... "WGT is doing it because they're greedy!" I don't buy it. And sometimes the issue is our own carelessness. I've lost more sleeves of balls due to not paying attention to what I'm doing than I ever have because of a "WTF shot" caused by WGT. 

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Wed, Feb 14 2018 10:53 PM

Robert1893:

But here's the thing: every time I felt that "the game" had cause me to lose a ball, I contacted WGT. In eacg instance, they replaced the ball. Now, granted, it's been fewer than a handful of times that I contacted them. And every time it was an "out of bounds" situation. 

But if they're so greedy, why didn't they simply respond with a version of, "Oh, well. Stinks to be you!"

Regardless, the number of balls I've lost because of the game (in my mind) rather than due to my own carelessness or abilities is probably fewer than 10. I've earned that amount of credits (hundreds of times over) because of surveys, videos, and offers. 

Again (and this to no one in particular), if they're so greedy, why do they provide a way for players to earn free credits? Besides....

Gekko went to jail. Deserved it too.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Thu, Feb 15 2018 6:55 AM

ItsTooSweet:
    Gekko went to jail. Deserved it too.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Thu, Feb 15 2018 9:29 AM

Robert1893:

@el3n1

You're correct that mobile players cannot save replays anymore. But in the past, I've just sent them a full description of what happened. And they always replied and took my word for what happened. No video documentation was required.  

I will try this the next time even though I have in the past.  I will also try to save a video replay as well.  but they have not done so for me in the past, when I explained my situation in a particularly lengthy 9 hole coin match when we reached a somewhat short par 4 on Erin Hills.  In that situation, while the green should be potentially reachable with a good wind, the wooden area, across the road/cart path on the far side of the hill which probably plays closer to 400Y is not reachable even with circus equipment sponsor apparel.  I don't use an expensive ball on mobile so it wasn't as big a deal... but when that drive essentially flew well beyond what could be reasonably expected and far beyond the distance even for the driver, well something wasn't right.  it wasn't an improper club selection and even a mishit would not have flown over 100y off line and nearly 400y from the tee.  Made no sense whatsoever, cost me a ball and the match.  

Another scenario, Olympic #1 we all know full BS allows you to go over and through the trees into the fairway.  No sooner than I hit my tee shot my ball is declared OOB.  I have never lost a ball on that hole hitting that shot prior to that.  Then all of a sudden it is declared OOB and lost ball?  Come on...

Robert1893:

I guess I just bristle a bit when users are so quick to ascribe ill motives (for example, greed) as the reason when it's probably just a software glitch that happened. Stuff like that happens all the time. In other words, I seriously doubt that any of us have never had a software glitch happen in other apps or programs that we use. That's just the way it is.

I agree tone, word use, and "emotional" responses can overshadow the underlying challenge.  When a particular aspect of the software is designed to create "mishits" or puzzling outcomes (VEM), especially when it can result in lost ball... it walks a fine line between what can be simply one aspect of the game and a potentially "built in system" that forces "consumers" to spend more than they would otherwise.  it is the latter that can bring members to use such words as greed.  

In real golf we can retrieve our golf balls most of the time.  It has literally been years since I had to actually buy a golf ball because I can replay and reuse the ones I have for years.  Yes, we can play the courses for free but I believe there would be less angst if we paid to play a course and could retrieve better golf balls  than how it is now.  Yes, people would still complain but you can control how much you play...you can not always control when the game decides to take a ball from you forcing you to spend more if you choose to keep playing.  

They simply determined there is more profit in charging for balls and "allowing" you to lose them than the other way around.  As a result, this virtual game can be more expensive than playing real golf, depending of course on where you play and how much you are paying for green fees.  But even twilight fees can often be half the cost in many places in hopes of getting more people on the course.  

Robert1893:

And sometimes the issue is our own carelessness. I've lost more sleeves of balls due to not paying attention to what I'm doing than I ever have because of a "WTF shot" caused by WGT. 

So have I and I can accept those easier because I know they are my mistakes.  It is the other scenarios that seem to ruffle our/my feathers.  : )   I too can alter my play and most of the time I do...I intentionally lay up to avoid hazards especially if I have a good ball because I know WGT or the software or coding can create a shot that isn't consistent for whatever reason even if I set everything correctly and calculate it properly.  It just happens.  And then there are those times, where I don't because I may have already used up all the hits on the ball and want to see if I can reach the par 5 in two even though water could be in play.  Those are on me...

Maybe part of the problem is WGT rarely speaks for themselves.  They leave some members to try and "speculate" as to their reasoning or motivations.  Both sides may have valid points, but it is what can come across as "indifference" that those "motives" are then questioned and some people then apply harsher terms or definitions for what happens.  We can't always "assume the worst" either, we can try to give the benefit of the doubt unless their actions make it harder to defend or support. 

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Thu, Feb 15 2018 7:08 PM

On mobile I wouldn’t be so quick to blame WGT. It is far too easy to accidentally drag the aim arrow off the mini map when to move your finger to take your shot. Been there done that a couple of times. Caught it one night when I saw my aim arrow was at the far edge of the screen instead of where I originally put it. Now I double check that every shot on mobile.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Thu, Feb 15 2018 7:20 PM

It's also very easy to accidentally touch the screen at the wrong time and mess up a shot. It's happened to me more than once. I get careless and brush the screen in just moving my finger to position. 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 9:01 AM

I am not oblivious of this nuance either.  I have watched the flag jump around after trying to set my aim point.  I don't swing anymore until I know it is set and not moving.  In the case of the Erin Hills shot.

I set my Aim point in the heather on the left of the Green around 330Y because I counted on the wind to move my ball onto the left side of the green and ride the slope down to the hole maybe get close to the hole.  With the sponsor boosting circus gear I felt I could possibly reach the green. 

It was not realistic for the ball to go OOB well over 100Y right of my Aim point and still fly beyond 400y into the OOB trees across the cart path.  Go ahead set up Erin Hills hole 15 with heavy winds and even try to get a tail wind.  I highly doubt you will ever reach the trees with a 400y drive.  It is absurd!

Yes those trees are 53 ft downhill making the 400y shot more like 375y, but I have never had a sponsor boosting driver fly 375y in the air even with a 30mph tailwind.  The best I have had on chambers bay was around 350-360 in the air with the down wind down elevation shot.  The next best shot was a heavy tailwind on RSG finish hole where I managed to carry the 300y fairway double bunkers with a 330y drive.

This shot is not possible even with a severe mishit!  

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 9:48 AM

I have since replayed the hole with a free starter ball from the Easy forward Tees.  I still could not reach the OOB location on the fly that my ball went in at.  The closest I could come from the easy tees with a  free ball was a 292Y drive with a 12-14y helping wind that bounced off of the cart path and then into the OOB.  This was off the Easy Tees and a Helping tail wind and I was trying to do it.  

It simply is not realistic or plausible for a ball to go so far off line and not lose distance if it was such as severe mishit as you suggest.  I am sure I was late but I was not so late that the ball would fly well over 100Y offline and 400y in the air from the back tees.

RSS