Forums

Help › Forums

Lvl 36 Pro - Sell "bad" clubs & buy good Wedges?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 13 2018 1:30 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TheWhiteBuffalo
    12 Posts
    Thu, Feb 8 2018 4:56 AM

Lvl 36 "pro" who didn't play for 2+ years. 

Reading newbies should buy wedges & wait for R11 set.  I originally brought the following clubs when I didn't know any better:

Cobra BioCell Driver L5 - 235 yards
      Ping L16 Hybrid - 200 years
      WGT Gold Putter - L7 

KEEP my clubs  - OR - SELL & buy ATV L14 or Ping L18 WEDGES??  

Are L14 ATV Wedges worth 50 videos more then Ping's L18 Wedges?

I intend to be playing more often now.  Thank you for any help!  

Note: To the people whom generously gift balls & clubs, I'll gladly be your friend!!  I'm tired of Surveys & Videos

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Thu, Feb 8 2018 11:02 PM

If you want to advance in results and in tiers(!), buy the L40+ ATVs - wait for the shortest, 50 + 77 yds!

Need not sell the other clubs - you get back only 25%!

Be aware that your ameliorations then might carry you to Master tier eventually, where you'll need more of better equipment.

• TheWhiteBuffalo
    12 Posts
    Fri, Feb 9 2018 1:28 AM

Thanks! Selling the clubs is 90 less 2credit videos I have to watch.  Otherwise, to get ur recommended clubs (thanks again), I have to watch 300 move 2credit videos.  took me a long time to get to 400credits... sigh...

I’ve only plaid a few free tournaments. Unless I’m missing something, if you can’t hit under par, you wont earn credits from a tournament.  I’m stuck with videos, surveys, or paying.

At my current level, I’m not yet starting the slippery slope of paying to play.  

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Fri, Feb 9 2018 9:10 AM

The Gorge/ATV wedges that unlock between L38-42 are a great value.  I still have one in my bag, and I'm at L96 now (I just replaced the other two about two weeks ago).  They can serve you well for a long, long time.

Other upgrades I'd recommend (and I'd recommend saving your money for these items, specifically):

L30 TM 3W

L48 TM driver

L55 Rossa putter

L59 Ping irons

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Fri, Feb 9 2018 9:10 AM

DELETED.  Double post.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Feb 9 2018 10:00 AM

flatstick96:

Other upgrades I'd recommend (and I'd recommend saving your money for these items, specifically):

L30 TM 3W

L48 TM driver

L55 Rossa putter

L59 Ping iron

Generally, I agree with this.

The only thing I would quibble with is the 3 wood. I'd save the credits. At lower tiers, a player can get by without a good 3 wood. It's really not absolutely necessary until Legend tier (IMO). 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Fri, Feb 9 2018 10:03 AM

flatstick96:
    The Gorge/ATV wedges that unlock between L38-42 are a great value. 
    They sure are, but there's no short wedge available any more. You need a 50 / 60 yds wedge!

IMHO, Ping "ruined" that virtual set when they stopped to produce the 64° wedge IRL.

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Fri, Feb 9 2018 11:20 AM

alosso:

flatstick96:
    The Gorge/ATV wedges that unlock between L38-42 are a great value. 
    They sure are, but there's no short wedge available any more. You need a 50 / 60 yds wedge!

IMHO, Ping "ruined" that virtual set when they stopped to produce the 64° wedge IRL.

Back when I was at that level I bought the 75 and 95 yard Gorge, and paired them with the 50 yard ATV.  Recently replaced the two gorge wedges with the mid-level Mack Daddy's, but still have the 50 yard ATV in my bag. 

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Fri, Feb 9 2018 11:27 AM

Robert1893:

flatstick96:

L30 TM 3W

L48 TM driver

L55 Rossa putter

L59 Ping iron

Generally, I agree with this.

The only thing I would quibble with is the 3 wood. I'd save the credits. At lower tiers, a player can get by without a good 3 wood. It's really not absolutely necessary until Legend tier (IMO). 

This is a good point, and I don't disagree with your general position.  I think I'd clarify my initial advice, in the context of your comment, and put it this way:

Prior to upgrading to the first available really *good* driver available (the L48 TM), I needed a 3W, not just for par fives, but even to reach some par fours.  The one I recommended is cheap, forgiving, and very versatile in how it can be used (I used it as both my driver and my 3W, so that I could add an extra wedge).  After one gets a really *good* driver (like the L48 TM, or a few others that are available in the L50's) then I agree with you that a 3W is no longer needed until one advances to Legend tier.  But if you don't have a good driver, I think a good 3W is useful.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Fri, Feb 9 2018 11:53 AM

flatstick96:
    Back when I was at that level I bought the 75 and 95 yard Gorge, and paired them with the 50 yard ATV.  Recently replaced the two gorge wedges with the mid-level Mack Daddy's, but still have the 50 yard ATV in my bag. 
    Thanks for the insight!

50 / 75 yds is a good combo. The 95 comes into play only below a custom iron set, and at that time a better wedge may be available.

Thus, you may save 300 cr on an intermediate wedge - not too much I think!

• PAGES
RSS