Forums

Help › Forums

Stop the cheating and gaming the turf wars

Tue, Jul 10 2018 12:35 AM (22 replies)
  • Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Feb 6 2018 10:38 PM

The "cheat".

quite simply during a turf war trading wins and losses between club members in bellagio.

Back and forth each member gets ~4.5 to 5 million points/coins.

the fix:

Coins and points aren't awarded if the players are in the same country club. Simple enough to code. put a CC check in place. play for fun no coins if they match up. easy to code.

the flaw in the fix: someone will figure out that they just drop CC and rejoin. cheaters will cheat.

so going to have to put in a  timer ( i would suggest a week) that any club they were in the last week doesn't count for coins and points against same members. slightly harder to code as you have to add a club history timer.

It's gaming the system. 

fix it.

make the turf war players have to play people out of their CC. it's the only way to bring this back into line.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Wed, Feb 7 2018 2:21 AM

This is not meant against you in any way.

Those loopholes look like the perfect finish to this "development".

- start with the name: This is a G-rated game, not warfare. *shudder*

- add the circumstances: PC players contribute with their CC passes but never get to know this special game or it's outcome. As a CC owner, I'm clueless about the wins or losses of my CC.

- add the costs: From what I read, coins must be waged to enter the battlefield. Looks like profitable to our hosts.

- see the outcome NOT: What is the winner's prize? Is any hall of fame available, or even the record of the last battle? I guess not.

- your description looks very fitting to the company, as they - again - haven't thought their product through.

My two Pfennig: Take it as warfare: It's not about fair play but survival - any means of advantage is permitted!

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Feb 7 2018 3:19 AM

Mythanatos:

The "cheat".

quite simply during a turf war trading wins and losses between club members in bellagio.

Back and forth each member gets ~4.5 to 5 million points/coins.

the fix:

Coins and points aren't awarded if the players are in the same country club. Simple enough to code. put a CC check in place. play for fun no coins if they match up. easy to code.

the flaw in the fix: someone will figure out that they just drop CC and rejoin. cheaters will cheat.

so going to have to put in a  timer ( i would suggest a week) that any club they were in the last week doesn't count for coins and points against same members. slightly harder to code as you have to add a club history timer.

It's gaming the system. 

fix it.

make the turf war players have to play people out of their CC. it's the only way to bring this back into line.

Your not going to stop it!  First, anyone can beat the system, if they want too.  Secondly, many of these aren't in the same cc, you don't have friends in another cc that you enjoy playing against?  Then there is the thread I remember reading, , about a mercenary cc.  You can hire them out for your turf wars.  I suggest you just roll with the punchs, and enjoy the game.. 

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Wed, Feb 7 2018 3:41 AM

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Feb 7 2018 9:28 AM

TopShelf2010:

@ the OP...

What are you feelings regarding the Awards Bug/Glitch?

Don

Known problem that WGT doesn't choose to fix for whatever their own reasons are. Beancounters have probably shown how it's profitable to them so they choose to leave it in.

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Wed, Feb 7 2018 2:57 PM

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Thu, Feb 8 2018 11:27 AM

I have gotten to know the OP a little since we are now in the same CC.  I value his passion and insight in the game!  I also feel like him the "integrity" of the game should be upheld to a certain degree.  WGT is not doing this by allowing such actions to undermine TW's.

Yes, WGT is primarily concerned with making money and the absurdity of this nuance in the turf wars is these players that think they are gaining an edge will buy upwards of 25 CC passes or more to rack up "wins" or throw games back and forth.  For what?  A superpass?  You can offset the value of the superpass by simply playing one extra clash round. 

There appears to be little other value other than whatever supposed immaterial value is placed on a TW.  It has no external value other than what "bragging rights?"  What did they prove?  They can game the system?  What is ironic if you look at the scores for some of these players in their ranked rounds outside of custom course rounds or easy courses and they are no where near as good as their "dominating" performance suggests, or they are intentionally tanking in their ranked rounds to avoid lowering their WGT average.  

WGT makes money theoretically by "selling" the passes, but as Myth has pointed out in other posts WGT can also be "losing" coins which they typically recoup by the 'vig'/ rake / cut, which is 20%- however you want to refer to it.  They do so by maximizing certain apparel items that not only reduces the rake but can actually nullify it completely and potentially increase their return effectively "rigging" the slot machine to pay out more coins than it should have in the first place.  Obviously WGT wasn't taking this into consideration when they introduced the "coin % boosts in their apparel options"  or did they.  They know people cheat or game the system, if enough other people are paying or buying into the "façade" of fair play they will still make money.  

The sad thing is...golf is suppose to be a game of honesty and integrity.  Yet we even hear about "cheating" on the PGA tour as being a known problem if we the articles in some golf magazines are valid.  Yes, cheating shouldn't occur but what makes it harder to fathom in WGT is we are not playing for money...There are maybe a handful of players that really get any monetary value out of WGT from the Amazon gift cards if you rack of enough credits...the rest of us are just feeding the animal that is WGT our credits.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Thu, Feb 8 2018 12:13 PM

The sad part of all this is, it's all about money.  If you think about it, they are playing on one of the strongest emotions that we have as human beings.  Competitiveness   I have sat back and watched my cc members compete in clashs and wars, and that emotion always gets the better of me.  I end up playing more than I planned. I play, usually to support my members,and to try to set a good example, but it pains me to watch us get beat, espically by a known cheat, or the way they pit small clubs against bigger clubs, like in clashs. We all know that golf is suppose to be a gentleman's game ( sorry ladies, no offense, it's just a term) and doesn't cheating  fall under that phrase. So it also falls back on competitiveness, anything to win, as long as It makes MONEY. (Many people are alot more competitive than others) hence they use any way possible to win.

Wgt promotes this attitude, cheating is ok,  as long as it makes them money!  Using the system is a fine line, many on here use the system glitches, for many reasons. Some use the reasoning, wgt screws with us, so it's just getting even.  Maybe using glitches isn't cheating, but the moral of the story is , if it makes them money, they leave it alone. 

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Thu, Feb 8 2018 12:43 PM

Luckystar5:

The sad part of all this is, it's all about money.  If you think about it, they are playing on one of the strongest emotions that we have as human beings.  Competitiveness   I have sat back and watched my cc members compete in clashs and wars, and that emotion always gets the better of me.  I end up playing more than I planned. 

indeed, I touched on this in another forum posts regarding built in "mechanisms" used by the technology industry to tap into these very type of behaviors....I referenced it as "brain hacking" (one touches on mobile phones another the technology industry) but it can also draw in "addictive" personalities, behaviors, in which we have control over but you can be "drawn down the rabbit hole..."  in the video he references "streaks" or in WGT terms is "CDP"...rewards... can be free coins, limited offers, and in game "achievements' if you get a HIO you are "rewarded" and it draws you in.  We in the WGT golf world conveniently make more HIO than is statistically normal than what you would see in the real world.  aren't these "enticements" to get you coming back?

for some it may be hundreds of dollars and thousands of credits later ... before they start asking what do I have to show for it....  there is a balance of course but you have to recognize the difference between playing the game for enjoyment and "getting played" when you blindly throw money into it without much thinking.  

after learning how expensive the game can become, I have tried to find a "frugal path" that allows me to play and feel competitive without feeding any more than I have too...I try to play lower credit balls most of the time and only use the "better more expensive ones on a limited basis."  everyone tries to find what works for them...

• mouthmygolfballs
    37 Posts
    Thu, Feb 8 2018 9:19 PM

I posted details on how damaging this exploit is, and the mods cut it out.  I hope that means we see this fixed in the future.  Bell exploit during turf wars needs to be stopped.

RSS