Forums

Help › Forums

New WGT Calculator in Progress

Sun, Aug 2 2020 12:55 AM (53 replies)
  • BaggerPantz
    55 Posts
    Thu, Jul 11 2019 2:56 PM

How is progress going?

As I’ve progressed so has my spreadsheet.   I’ve built a spreadsheet that maps dozens of variables, wind, green slope, fairway slope, carry, roll, elevation, clothes bonuses, etc.  Getting ready to start version 3.  Would be happy to share thoughts, formulas, etc 

• Redmonod
    22 Posts
    Sat, Jul 13 2019 1:19 PM

I’d be interested in hearing more about your methodology. Maybe share some ideas.

• BaggerPantz
    55 Posts
    Sun, Jul 14 2019 6:37 PM

I started by mapping balls and distances.  Then built a chart for recommended club and swing % for every yard, 1-300.

Then I built a calculator with a “plays like” distance.  Takes into account the typical; wind, and elevation.  

Then put in a V look up to match the plays like distance to the chart.  Put in a toggle to switch between “apparel bonus” and normal.  

Then I mapped clubs with full backspin and repeated above.  So I enter shot data and get a club recommendation — 120 yards, plays like 112, Recommend Sw115=98% Neutral or SW115=100% with full backspin.

Then I added a drop down menu where I could pick the club and it would V-lookup all distances (carry plus roll) 95% to 100% and neutral, half or full spin.  

The overall distance is generally correct, but I’m not happy with the roll estimates.  I’m thinking of tweaking the roll formula to account for both elevation change AND slope of green.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Mon, Jul 15 2019 2:19 PM

SeveFrost:

Signet, in regard to wind I add a yard for every two mph of headwind and deduct a yard for every two yards of tailwind. so, a 190 yard shot with a 20mph headwind I'll hit 200yards, a 190 shot with a 20mph tailwind I'll take off ten yards and hit it 180

These calculations are fine, if you are ok with "approximately". More precisely, 12 o'clock headwinds (after elevation calculation) is 6% (.062) so the 190 yard headwind shot is actually 202 yards needed. However, on 6 o'clock tailwinds, there is less effect, so I suggest you use 4%. (.041) = thus 190 yards downwind calls for 182-3 yard shot. This makes a big difference in how easy or difficult your putt length is. You are splitting the difference which is fine, but the above calcs are slightly more precise. 

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Mon, Jul 15 2019 2:33 PM

YankeeJim:

It depends on how you map them. If you try to nail down total distance and exactly how far a shot will go then yes, this is a waste of time. However, knowing the carry of your clubs is essential if you want to find those spots on the green you're referring to. 

Mapping club carry is essential, IMO.

I hate to admit it, but on this one, Jim is absolutely correct. Knowing your club's carry distance is essential to low scoring. 

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2019 9:51 AM

BaggerPantz:
    The overall distance is generally correct, but I’m not happy with the roll estimates.  I’m thinking of tweaking the roll formula to account for both elevation change AND slope of green.

If you have mapped your clubs you should already have incorporated to an extent the roll out otherwise, just mapping carry distance doesn't always get you closer to the hole but over a bunker or hump on the green...

What you may or may not be considering is the wind yardage effect on a PW and all clubs for that matter changes with the amount of spin applied.

If your calculations or spreadsheet do not account for this adjusted yardage based on spin you will be off sometimes while dead on the other times.  So your spreadsheet seemingly works most of the time but when you try to make an adjustment and apply less spin in different wind conditions you are also adjusting the wind effect on that shot.

---A little while ago I watched part of a mapping video of Jason (Young46) working on a new L90 ball.  It was almost mind boggling tedious but he plays at the highest level.  His ball mapping reflected a range of yardages on the same club depending on the amount of spin applied.  There may have been as little as 1 yard variance with some clubs and as much as 6 yards with others depending on the amount of spin applied.  

Some people may attribute use a standard number for PW wind effect... but Jason's video shows that number fluctuates...

If you are not accounting for this... you would definitely feel your calculations are off.  

At least that is how I account for some shot's that come up shorter than expected or go longer than expected.  I have never put in that degree of work or effort to map my clubs with every type of wind.  It is actually impressive but shows how well the top players know their club/ball combination and tweak their spreadsheets to account for these factors..  

I am pretty certain most people simply don't go to this level of mapping.

• Redmonod
    22 Posts
    Wed, Jul 17 2019 5:00 AM

These complications are why I was trying to develop a model of club behavior that didn’t rely on mapping so much because that gets really expensive in ball costs. I only play stroke play tournaments, so the spreadsheets I use don’t have to be as simple and fast as when playing head to head. Anyone else’s taking this approach?

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Wed, Jul 17 2019 10:53 AM

Redmonod:

These complications are why I was trying to develop a model of club behavior that didn’t rely on mapping so much because that gets really expensive in ball costs. I only play stroke play tournaments, so the spreadsheets I use don’t have to be as simple and fast as when playing head to head. Anyone else’s taking this approach?

Yes its called playing by feel . Playing by feel is less complicated and doesnt require spread sheets . It also helps keep your memory retention sharp .Mapping isnt that expensive . Even using a spread sheet you still have to use up balls in order to know  if your data is correct .So do the same and learn how to play by feel .

• Redmonod
    22 Posts
    Wed, Jul 17 2019 4:18 PM

Lonnie, I appreciate that you have been successful playing by feel and are a crusader for that approach. Many of the top players do as well. My interest in this thread of discussions is in different approaches to using spreadsheets to play. Practically every shot I make is based on what my spreadsheets are telling me, and I’m interested in tuning them to get better, to see how well I can do with that approach. Hopefully, others who play the same way will chime in as well.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Jul 17 2019 6:14 PM

Hi Red, I've had great success using WaLkOfLiFe's method on how to calculate wind.  It gets me pretty close most of the time, and it's very easy to turn into a spreadsheet.  

That doesn't really do much good however, if you don't know how far your clubs will carry your ball of choice with varying levels of spin.

He has also published the gospel 60W punch chart.  It'll get you a gimme every time you're within 50 yards.

Putting is another animal altogether, but I feel I've had the most success with Naturali's   putting method.  Also very easy to turn into a spreadsheet.  YMMV of course, and if you search you'll find many different methods.

But...putting is what will make the difference between good scores and the best scores on here.  You'll find the players at the top all the time are phenomenal putters.  Spend the most time trying to be a better putter -- will shave strokes for sure.  

Good luck!

brad

RSS