Forums

Help › Forums

New WGT Calculator in Progress

Sun, Aug 2 2020 12:55 AM (53 replies)
  • SeveFrost
    1,478 Posts
    Sun, Jan 28 2018 2:36 PM

Signet, in regard to wind I add a yard for every two mph of headwind and deduct a yard for every two yards of tailwind. so, a 190 yard shot with a 20mph headwind I'll hit 200yards, a 190 shot with a 20mph tailwind I'll take off ten yards and hit it 180

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Mon, Jan 29 2018 12:56 PM

SeveFrost:
    Signet, in regard to wind I add a yard for every two mph of headwind and deduct a yard for every two yards of tailwind. so, a 190 yard shot with a 20mph headwind I'll hit 200yards, a 190 shot with a 20mph tailwind I'll take off ten yards and hit it 180
    Signets 56 and 38 are spot on.  The problem lies, as others have already mentioned, are the variety of spin parameters such as club/ball, trajectory, etc.  My suggestion would be allow quite a lot of customization for the calculator (if such a thing is possible).

I.e., give every club the ability to be modified in regards to distance and side wind; make each of these completely separate (not modify one and both are modified).  If this could be done then any club and ball combination, along with play style (all backspin shots, flat shots, etc) would be achievable.  It would be the calculator of all calculators;  something I'd gladly pay for!

Good luck to ya Signet.  I'll be watching with curiosity.

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Tue, Jan 30 2018 1:29 PM

"Variance" That word means much in this game. There is a lot of it. A 10mph side wind on one course won't be as strong as the same wind at another.

There are certain shots that just don't play their yardage, some play long and some play short. Some roll on even into the breeze with full brakes and others come back at you with full top.

The key is putting. Not only reading the break and matching the right pace. Probably the most important thing is knowing the greens and the areas that offer the straightest or most consistent putts. A lot of times it's looking for the uphill putts but on some holes the down hill racers are the easiest once you get the hang of them.

A 15 foot putt on a line you are comfortable with beats a 6 footer that you have no idea about. Each course and indeed each hole presents questions, find the answers and your well on your way to playing better.  :-)

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Tue, Jan 30 2018 4:30 PM

+1, best post I've read in a long time.

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Wed, Jan 31 2018 2:12 AM

Lutjanid:

"Variance" That word means much in this game. There is a lot of it. A 10mph side wind on one course won't be as strong as the same wind at another.

There are certain shots that just don't play their yardage, some play long and some play short. Some roll on even into the breeze with full brakes and others come back at you with full top.

The key is putting. Not only reading the break and matching the right pace. Probably the most important thing is knowing the greens and the areas that offer the straightest or most consistent putts. A lot of times it's looking for the uphill putts but on some holes the down hill racers are the easiest once you get the hang of them.

A 15 foot putt on a line you are comfortable with beats a 6 footer that you have no idea about. Each course and indeed each hole presents questions, find the answers and your well on your way to playing better.  :-)

Well, well...here's a player who actually plays and knows this game!! Most importantly, he's fully aware about what he's posting. It's nice to have such posts in here for a change...

Winds play differently in every course, distances are different for every course and hole. Mapping clubs it's an empty procedure. On my alt games i have encountered several very very good players who were asking about:

- WTF shot was that? I played it perfectly based on my excel notes...

Plus...if you are lucky and have a vemless round (something that comes up once in every 1.763.827 years..) you always have to putt. So, keep in mind what Lutjanid wrote. Putt is everything. Not only by figuring out the wright break but the wright speed also to do so.

PS

If anyone wants to practice, be better at this game has to:

1. Learn how to putt

2. Mapping somehow the approaches with various winds on every hole for every course.

PS

Practice mode plays differently than stroke, rg or VT mode...it's crazy but it's true.

• climatic
    183 Posts
    Wed, Jan 31 2018 3:50 AM

Lutjanid:

Always speaks the truth...and spot on here yet again

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 31 2018 5:27 AM

Yiannis1970:
    Mapping clubs it's an empty procedure.

It depends on how you map them. If you try to nail down total distance and exactly how far a shot will go then yes, this is a waste of time. However, knowing the carry of your clubs is essential if you want to find those spots on the green you're referring to. 

Mapping club carry is essential, IMO.

• CurtissAngell
    1,213 Posts
    Wed, Feb 28 2018 3:44 PM

I agree with YJ.

Any calculator that is used will offer an adjusted distance, let's call it 150y. Therefore, you must know your ball/club combo that achieves 150y. You can't just pull out your 8i (150y) and whack your nike 100% with -100% spin and expect to achieve the perfect results.

all the best,

Curt

• MFuston
    439 Posts
    Wed, Feb 28 2018 4:37 PM

Lutjanid:

Them's the facts, Jack!  Great post, and spot on!

• Redmonod
    22 Posts
    Wed, Feb 28 2018 6:05 PM

“What really matters is the code in WGT, and we don’t know that...”. What we especially don’t know is how our virtual golf ball, whether the Rock or any other, is going to react to the 3D terrain model. By being a yard right or left on courses like St. George, we could be in rough, bunker or fairway. Or the ball could roll 50 yards or 10 depending on how we hit a mound in the fairway at St. Andrews. And, there is a degree of randomness in the game also. But....all that hasn’t stopped me, and shouldn’t stop you, from trying to develop aids to help play this game. I’ve worked a lot over the past 6-9 months to put together some spreadsheets to help with many aspects of the game, from club selection to putting(helps being retired). I went so far as to try to develop a stepwise model of ball flight, trying to take into account all the forces acting on the ball. As pointed out there are many parameters in the game we don’t know, but some reasonable assumptions can be made. There’s a lot of research out there on these things that you will enjoy reading. For sure, it makes you appreciate the talents that created the game. One of the most interesting and useful things for me was creating a spreadsheet version of Putter Pal, mainly to help with speed control - which is a key to improving putting.

None of these tools will make me a top player, ...but they sure are a lot of fun to develop, use and improve, at least for the math-oriented among us. Probably the best players, and the “feel” players are rolling their eyes, but there are different strokes for different folks. Keep working on what interests you!

RSS