Forums

Help › Forums

achieving spin

Mon, Jan 22 2018 2:31 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • hokie1525
    18 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 7:29 AM

I know this has probably been addressed, but I noticed many posts are a few years old and perhaps out of date.

I have a ball that is listed as 2.5 spin but I get very little spin.  I have 70 yard shots that travel 60 yards and roll another 30, with full backspin!  I guess I'm asking...What level spin do I need on my ball/irons/wedges to expect to see my ball stop on the green?  Do I need to get to level 4 spin?  Will a level 4 spin ball spin with level 3.5 spin irons?

Help!

• SidersBest
    873 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 8:33 AM

First of all are you using your Irons or your wedges? Using my wedges and hitting a 60 degree wedge full back spin the shot goes 73yards the backspins 3 yards net 70 yards and thats with the ROCK.

Map your clubs  Irons and wedges with the ball you're using, that way you'll know what to expect on most shots.

You might consider once you become a Master dropping the hybird and adding a 3rd wedge at about level 58 The Clevelands seem to the the Rave!

Siders Best

• hokie1525
    18 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 8:38 AM

Thanks for the response.  I'm only level 41, does that mean I won't be able to find a wedge that spins?  Like I said, I'm not even close to getting backspin, even with a wedge.

Do they have to be full shots to get spin?  If you hit a 60 degree wedge 80% with full backspin what is your result?  Mine is rolling forward 30 yards, unless the shot hits into a steep upslope.

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 9:10 AM

Don't ignore the trajectory of clubs. High trajectory clubs will give you more bite than med/high trajectory clubs.

• hokie1525
    18 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 9:41 AM

Thanks Scott.

I guess the question begs...how does trajectory compare with spin?  In stopping a ball, is it better to have high trajectory 0.5 spin, or med/high trajectory 3.5 spin?

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 9:54 AM

I would rather have med/high with 3.5 spin, as 0.5 spin is almost as useless as no spin at all. Although high trajectory is more susceptable to windy conditions, I'd rather try work out the effect of a crosswind than try to calculate the amount of roll you'd get on any given surface.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 9:56 AM

hokie1525:
    I guess the question begs...how does trajectory compare with spin?  In stopping a ball, is it better to have high trajectory 0.5 spin, or med/high trajectory 3.5 spin?

I played Med/High irons all the way to the Legend tier and I can tell you now you will not be throwing darts with any ball and those irons-the trajectory is too flat and your ball comes in too low and hot to stop effectively. I used to call it a run and gun game where you used the spin to control the rollout. Wind in your face is a big plus with those irons for stopping the roll using back spin.

However, if you look at the Pro Shop and all the different irons you won't see any  Med/High choices after level 68. There's a reason for this-the clubs are much more accurate. High lofted shots come down at a steeper angle, rollout is lessened quite a bit and it is much easier to control landings. This is what makes them much more accurate. Now you can think about stopping a shot with back spin because it doesn't take a lot.

The answer to your question-you're better off with the high lofted clubs.  You're going to have them sooner or later and it would behoove you to learn them now.

• hokie1525
    18 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 10:04 AM

Thanks Yankee.  I don't see any high lofted iron options available at level 41 except beginner clubs.

It looks like my only option is just to keep playing with what I've got and get experience points until I move to a higher tier and can purchase equipment with more spin/loft.  It's just hard to compete and shoot 61s with what I've got.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 10:14 AM

hokie1525:
    It's just hard to compete and shoot 61s with what I've got.

It's not as hard as you think. For starters, I didn't mention that I never had a 3W until I made Legend, I carried a driver and 4 wedges. You're at the driver/wedge stage of the game and that HB you have is pretty much worthless. A 3rd wedge would improve your game dramatically and with 4 of them even more. You could have 4 clubs in your bag that WOULD give you the spin you're looking for and a driver that gets you to where you can use them. 

Look at your approach and chipping stats. THAT is where those wedges will improve your game and get you those sub-60 rounds.  As far as living without a fairway wood, ask yourself where you really use them and how often you do versus how often you could use a wedge you don't have.  :-)

• PSUTOM
    188 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 10:23 AM

The MAX Wedges are probably your best bet as soon as you reach level 51. I know that won't help you now, but keep them in mind. I used them for quite a while and had good results with backspin. In fact I think they are even as good as my Clevelands, maybe better in the bs department.

• PAGES
RSS