Forums

Help › Forums

Driving Distance Myths

Sun, Jul 11 2021 6:19 PM (57 replies)
  • MattyBoyGross
    1 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 6:07 AM

I have found that when you pay 6 to 8 bucks for a sleeve of 5.0 or 5.5 distance rated  Nike or Max ball you are paying for the name and the hype. You do not really get that much more driving distance. I use the Volvik Crystal ball for 3 bucks a sleeve and get about the same driving average as the Nike 5 rated balls. Also some WGT 2.5 distance rated balls at $2.50 per sleeve do very well. I am done buying expensive balls.

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 7:38 AM

What the distance addeth, the spin taketh away.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 7:52 AM

Well done figuring out one of the most basic mistakes many players make-thinking an expensive ball is going to change your game. TBH, it's a total waste of money unless you have good equipment to go with it and plenty of experience. That's when you can appreciate what the ball does. Until then, those Callaways you have now are going to get you better results. You don't need massive amounts of spin and distance at your stage of the game. 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 9:18 AM

Equipment and apparel changes must make a BIG difference!  I just played a turf war coin game, against a tour pro.  He is a level 67, using a cally big bertha driver , a cally 33 ball.  We played on chambers bay, and had a 10 MPh tail wind.  Now I teed off, dinged my shot almost right down the center,for 317 yards.  Nothing to complain about, but he hit his 319 yards, Really?  Why should we get the higher level equipment?  The introduction of the apparel changes sure have changed the parameters of the game.  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 9:57 AM

CBay is a bad example of length of drives. It's too easy to use top spin and find a slope that kicks the drive another 20 yards. Besides that, length off the tee is not what gets you a low score.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 10:06 AM

Obviously you missed my point, hello, I didn't say anything about score!  Beat him by 5.  Point was his level equipment keeping up with 30 some levels higher.  At my level, I believe that I know how to optimize my equipment, and I wasn't upset about my drive distance, just surprised that he could obtain a longer drive.  That being said, again,  why work at getting better equipment? 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 10:25 AM

Luckystar5:
    Obviously you missed my point, hello

Come up with a better example, hello. 1 drive does not mean anything, especially on CBay. I'm at level 120 and lower levels outdrive me as much as I outdrive them. Doesn't mean anything.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 10:26 AM

Also, I have to disagree with you, respectfully, I'd rather hit a wedge into the green, than a 6 or 7 iron!  Longer drives get you closer to the hole, which makes next shot easier and more accurate with a shorter iron. 

• Dave33200
    2,932 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 10:43 AM

The Srixon Z-Star L11 balls work fine for me. At 180 cr per sleeve its very affordable and has a good durability ratting. 

Also someone here has a excel spreadsheet with all the equipment listed in the pro shop so you can do a better side by side comparison of all the equipment on WGT.

ps... here's a link, it was ScottHope ( thank you Scott).

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/235590.aspx

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2018 12:35 PM

Luckystar5:
    Obviously you missed my point, hello, I didn't say anything about score!  Beat him by 5.  Point was his level equipment keeping up with 30 some levels higher.  At my level, I believe that I know how to optimize my equipment, and I wasn't upset about my drive distance, just surprised that he could obtain a longer drive.  That being said, again,  why work at getting better equipment? 

Umm, I have to ask: what's the difference between him buying more distance through apparel and you buying more distance through a club?

By the way, the obvious advantage to buying the distance with the club is that it's a one-time expense of credits rather than an ongoing one. And you can still buy the apparel if you would like to enhance it, yes? 

RSS