Forums

Help › Forums

Club help!

Tue, Jan 16 2018 6:14 PM (9 replies)
  • EugeneLewinsky
    1 Posts
    Thu, Jan 11 2018 10:18 AM

Hey I’m currently in the process of purchasing new clubs but can’t make up my mind.

Im a level 87 Master 

driver- Callaway fusion (L85)

3wood- Taylor made R11 (L30)

Hybrid- Wgt starter 

Irons- cobra king F6(L8) 

wedges- starter sand and lob wedge 

putter- Taylor made ghost spider (L35)

I have about 3,000 credits, and have been looking at irons but I’m not sure if I should go a different route and go with wedges or 3wood and hybrids. The irons I’m looking at purchasing are the Callaway Apex (L65) or the Ben Hogan irons (L75). If someone can give me some advice that would be awesome! 

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Jan 11 2018 4:27 PM

This will sound familiar to most. 

:^)

Ditch the hybrid and get 3 good wedges. 

At L87 you are pretty close to being able to outfit your choice of some of the best (IMO) wedges you can get, the ATVs and the Max Meter. 

The ATVs are quite good with a not too fast meter. At one point I used the higher level ATVs. They were like throwing darts, but had a nagging tendency to hop funny on the green. 

If a slow meter (easier to ding) is important then the MMs are better for you. 

I use the higher level MMs and only drawback I find with them is they aren't quite as long as advertised. 

Either way, you'll need to wait a level or 3 to get there. 

Good Luck.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Thu, Jan 11 2018 4:34 PM

Wedges!

Drop your hybrid and get three wedges to fit below the PW in equal range steps. 50 - 75 - 100 is common, as is 60 - 80 - 100, but there are other good combos, too.

Take some of the top wedges, it's a one-time buy! With these, you will be able to make quality punch, pitch, chip and flop shots!

• lonniescott711
    4,181 Posts
    Thu, Jan 11 2018 4:51 PM
    Youre all over the place with your choices . Some of them are good and most are worthless . Buy at your level and make the upgrades count . You dont wont to waste your credits on countless upgrades . So get the Pings G25s L83+ full set 4,495 credits . Or wait awhile longer and play up a few more levels . L90 is just around the corner and another good full set of clubs will be waiting there for you as well . Building a good set can be expensive so you have to plan it out carefully . So take your time plan it out and make it count as much as you can . You still have a good way to go before Legend tier . That will be your final tee move backward then only your tier will continue to change .
  • ScottHope
    10,014 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 3:43 AM

Comparison Tables. Sortable, filterable, perusable and usefulable. ; )

• Next260
    2,189 Posts
    Sat, Jan 13 2018 2:17 PM

ScottHope:
    usefulable.

I like your tables, but are you sure that is a word ?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 13 2018 2:32 PM

Next260:

ScottHope:
    usefulable.

LMAO. Of course it is, it's Yancyspeak.  :-D

• ScottHope
    10,014 Posts
    Sun, Jan 14 2018 12:50 AM

Next260:

Yancyspeak or promotional gibberish, used to hold your attention a little bit longer.

Thank you. : )
  • JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Jan 15 2018 9:13 AM

guesstimate 

doesn't even phase spellcheck these days. 

:^)

• EasyEdward
    13,495 Posts
    Tue, Jan 16 2018 6:14 PM

You should have read this a year and a half ago....

=======

The Frugal Player's WGT Club Upgrade Approach

Whether purchasing credits is within your means and you determine that you will spend real money or you intend to watch videos and fill out surveys; there is no reason to spend WGT credits foolishly.

This post will explain one method of maximally purchasing 2 improvements for each item in your bag and having what you need to face the challenges of the Legend Tier.  This approach should get you to Legend Tier within a budget of 20,000 credits.

WGT offers numerous clubs and balls to purchase that enhance your ability to play better (lower your score).  This post is not an attempt to judge the merits of all of the offerings but rather to give an outline of what is generally needed, when and why. 

At this time a new member of WGT receives the starter clubs and one somewhat more advanced club: The Max Driver Level 0 with a 230 yard average distance.  These clubs are all sufficient for the hack and amateur levels.

FIRST:  Once you run out of the good balls that WGT gives a new player the frugal player does not use their precious credits buying balls.  Rather they save for clubs for the simple reason that the expensive balls better distance or spin will not be realized with clubs that WGT gives you. I recommend either playing with the starter ball, or the 10 credit WGT BES ball (at most the 64 credit GI2-S or the 65 credit Tour SD).

When the Pro level is attained clubs and club purchases start to take on added significance.

Below is an outline of what you will need on a journey to and including Legend Tier. Please note these are not in the order one should purchase them.

Driver

Off the Pro tees the first thing you will find is that 230 yards is not sufficient a distance for a driver on a number of holes on many courses. You will also note the starter iron set is not long enough for a number of holes off the Pro and Tour Pro Tees for your approach shot.  However, a player reaching the Pro Tier has very limited options due to the level needed for a frugal set of club purchases.

My advice is to play on with all the starters and save credits by waiting until you reach Level 48 and purchase the R-1 driver rated at 275 yards.  If however it is too frustrating for you to wait a viable inexpensive driver is the WGT Pro 9.5 driver at 250 yards and just 250 credits until the L-48 R-1 is available. However, the 250 yards off the Master tees will be too short for many of the same holes the 230 does not work off the Pro Tees so it is a short term fix.

Once the credits are in hand and Level 48 is attained; the R-1 takes care of two problems at once. The fairways are all reachable and your starter irons are now long enough to allow reaching all the Par 4s in 2. The R-1 is good enough that no further driver purchase is needed until you reach the 80s in Levels and are closing in on or already a Legend.

Wedges

Your wedges are the backbone of your game.  There are a number of types available each with different attributes. Generally the WGT wedges should be avoided as well as any wedge until the late 20s in level. At that point the Cleveland, ATV and Ping wedges start becoming available.  The objective is to replace your 50 and 75 yard WGT starters with something comparable. A third wedge can be added but decide which irons you will be getting first so you know which longer wedge to get.  General rule of thumb is to evenly space as close as possible your wedges and iron set’s pitching wedge.

If you have enough credits set aside for the R-1 then start buying wedges at these lower levels before anything else. In yardage terms 60, 80 and 100 or 50, 75 and 100 are perfect - knowing that someday you will have an iron set with a Pitching Wedge of 110 to 120 yards.

Wedges should be upgraded to the higher level wedges when they become available but that will not be until you have a Level of over 80.

Irons

Lots of different thoughts here the R-11 irons in the 30s are used by many well into the Master tier, but by the time you have your R-1 in your bag two other sets are either available or close to being available. The Level 40s Max slow meter irons are one and the level 50s Ping G-20 which was less expensive before they became the G-25s is the other set.  Both are playable as a Tour Master and again need not be replaced until you are in the 80s level.

My advice would be to either go for the R-11s or wait for Max Meter set rather than the G25s just for cost purposes. The biggest problem however with that recommendation is that the 200 / 205 yard distance for the 3-Iron is tough off the Master tees on a few holes even with the R-1 in your bag.

3 Wood

The three wood is not used very often so it should be the last purchase for the frugal player.

Once again there are many options.

Off the Master tees you will need a 230 or 235 yard 3 wood. By Legend you will need a 240 or 245 yard 3 wood. A medium high or high trajectory is helpful to hold the greens when using the 3 wood for an approach shot.  

Putter

The starter putter is pretty darn good. Many call it the best club that WGT gives you for free. It certainly can be used until in the Master tier. The ultimate in frugality is to purchase just one putter – the Level 55 Daytona Rossa. Many Legends use it to very good effect. Most however replace their first putter with a higher level one; two good choices appear to be the Versa or the Nike.

Balls

Your ball selection is numerous and can, within a short period of time, become your largest expense. Another post goes in to the attributes of many of the offerings made by WGT so no attempt will be made to repeat that here.  The frugal player will however initially minimize the cost of balls in order to save credits to purchase clubs by playing with free or 10 credit balls. Once credits are on hand and club purchases are underway a better ball does offer advantages, but the frugal player does not jump immediately to a 450 credit ball that last 15 rounds.

WGT offers two balls that are relatively inexpensive, The 64 credit GI2-S and the 65 credit Tour SD. It should be noted the GI2-S balls last longer than the Tour SD so they are even less expensive than they appear.

When the frugal player has determined that credits are being set aside at an appropriate level for the final round of club upgrades the time has come to determine which ball type is within their budget. Included in that consideration is what your clubs and needs are for game performance. High Spin clubs do not require high spin balls; faster speed clubs may require a ball with a slower meter; now and only then should they invest in more expensive balls.

RSS