Forums

Help › Forums

Merion #6

Sun, Jan 21 2018 4:43 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Wed, Jan 3 2018 4:39 PM

#6 at Merion baffles me. (granted, this is not a difficult thing to do) I love playing Merion, and I love the fact that the smallest mistake will usually cost me there. However, when it comes to #6, I don't even know where to begin, or how to play it well. Any tips on how to play this hole at par would be appreciated. Bonus points if it also gives me a chance at the occasional birdie.

• SKrietz
    835 Posts
    Wed, Jan 3 2018 4:53 PM
  • Next260
    2,189 Posts
    Wed, Jan 3 2018 5:09 PM

Nice shot

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Jan 3 2018 5:49 PM

Lovely shot for sure.

That pin below the hole (anywhere) will give a bird chance.  Go for the pin like that beauty you do risk as across face putt that can role away to make par seem a really good result.  Heaven forbid being short as that gets very complicated to walk away with a bird.

Risk reward holes abound that place.

• StephenStrother
    98 Posts
    Wed, Jan 3 2018 9:36 PM

If you just want to par the hole, and it's the back left pin, play short right and take the two-putt. Two-putting from above the hole is nearly impossible even for the best players. Making birdie is more difficult. You basically have to hit the perfect shot or leave your second about 10 feet directly below the hole to get a straight putt. Anything right or left (especially right of the hole) leaves a big swinger that you're not going to make.

If the pin is up front, it's much easier to make birdie as long as you clear the false front.

• SlicedPepper
    796 Posts
    Thu, Jan 4 2018 6:19 AM

One thing you also need to remember, if you are below the hole, don't leave it short.

If I'm 12 ft. below the hole, on champ greens, I'll putt for 13 ft. It's a mean uphill putt.

If I end up with one of those big right to left swingers, from right of the hole, I put my marker at least a full square above what I usually would on a level putt and then hit it for the distance needed. 

Practice Practice Practice

SP

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Sun, Jan 7 2018 4:05 PM

SKrietz:

I hope this helps a little

Great shot, but not a lot of help. lol I seem to be hitting my 2nd shot from a good 30-40 yards farther than you were on that shot. No matter the wind, if I carry all the way to the green on that line, my ball goes all the way to the back, and even off the green 9 times out of 10.

StephenStrother:

If you just want to par the hole, and it's the back left pin, play short right and take the two-putt. 

This is how I would like to play it. However, it seems I am getting a hard left to right wind almost every time. I can't get the ball to hold in the middle of the green and short. It rolls long right leaving me some ridiculous putts, uphill but w/ 10-12'+ of break. I am normally pretty good at two putting from any distance, but this hole is killing me. (note: I like being overly dramatic. lol) I have shot 31 twice this week in the unlimited tournament. Once with a bogey on 6, and the other time with a double bogey on 6.

SlicedPepper:

Practice Practice Practice

I know that is the key. I have just never had a hole baffle me so much. Perhaps leaving it short of the green is the way to go. I am still hoping someone will give me a good idea here. I have had so much help from the forums before. I should do the practice practice practice thing in practice mode I guess, but I like using my time to play. So I only get one practice at it each time I play there.

I'll figure it out eventually. Thanks for the tips guys.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Sun, Jan 7 2018 4:23 PM

the approach is short of hole and off to the right. 3-5 yards. gives you an uphill putt with about the least break for that hole. 

Possible birdie and at worst par.   

• SeveFrost
    1,478 Posts
    Tue, Jan 9 2018 4:34 AM

If its the back pin, I always lay up just short of the green and then pitch up for a short-ish putt

ts the 5th that I struggle with and which costs me more shots than other hole in the game. both pin positions for me are a nightmare when playing off the back tees, really struggle for a consistent way of playing it

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Tue, Jan 9 2018 8:24 AM

SeveFrost:

ts the 5th that I struggle with and which costs me more shots than other hole in the game. both pin positions for me are a nightmare when playing off the back tees, really struggle for a consistent way of playing it

I learned this in some other thread for the front pin on #5. Play it about true to distance, and extreme right. The ball will often roll up into the green and then trickle down towards the hole, usually close enough for an easy two putt and occasional bird. If it rolls off the front, it's a fairly easy up and down for  par.

Brett

• PAGES
RSS