Forums

Help › Forums

This is an email test

Mon, Jan 15 2018 1:50 PM (23 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Thu, Jan 4 2018 10:39 AM

Right.....I've had a bit of a dig around regarding this and what happens on your PC when you click on an HTML mailto link, (which is what the link in my first post is). It may depend on the default programs setting on your PC.

It works in the same way as setting the default program that opens when you double click on say, a picture file. You may have several programs on your PC that can open a picture file, so you can change the one that opens by default.

If you want to change what program runs when you click on an email link, then do the following....

Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program > Scroll to the bottom of the list to where the protocols are, and in the left column click on MAILTO > if the current default program (3rd column) is not your email program, then click the Change Program button at the top right of the window and select your email program from the open with dialogue box.

Knowing what computers are like this won't solve it for everyone, but we might hit a few nails on the head. : )

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Thu, Jan 4 2018 11:02 AM

Thanks a lot, Scott - it gives me hope!

mailto: links from FF open in Outlook here though I don't use it as a mail client.

But, can't follow your advice instantanously because there ain't no MAILTO entry in that protocol section (unprivileged user). I'll have to repeat it as an admin...

Edit:

Wrong section - next one is correct:
    I have to search the program and assign it to the protocol.

(Always trouble to look up features like system control in a different language ;) )

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Thu, Jan 4 2018 1:39 PM

In FF options, if you scroll down to applications, you will find you can change the program that FF uses to open mailto links.

Click thumbnail for larger image

It looks like if you use an email program installed on your PC, you need to set that as the default program, using the instructions in my previous post, for handling the mailto protocol. But if you use online email, then you will probably have to look at the settings in your browser for the mailto handler.

Isn't life complicated!  : )

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Jan 4 2018 2:42 PM

Related but maybe not that helpful.

The powers that be say that if you use gmail, it can't be assigned as your default email program.

BUT. On my tablet, I use the email app, assign it to gmail, and it works just fine with mailto buttons. 

There's probably a way to get it to work on pcs.

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Thu, Jan 4 2018 3:29 PM

Scott

Browsing with ver 57 FireFox.

Running win7 64 bit

Opens my email client, which is Windows Live Mail 2012

Has in the body of email congratulations this works for you.

If you need other browsers checked just let me know, I have a number of them installed.

Gary

• Woodie312
    671 Posts
    Thu, Jan 4 2018 5:23 PM

Scott,

Running Maxthon 4.9 on a Windows 10 machine, it opened my Windows Mail client but only to the inbox. It did not open it to a ready to write email window.

Let me know if you need another test.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Fri, Jan 5 2018 12:24 AM

ScottHope:
    In FF options, if you scroll down to applications, you will find you can change the program that FF uses to open mailto links.
    Another helpful&new information - I never scrolled that page down!

As of today, it has been fixed by the modification in the Windows settings, after zillion days of drought...

BTW: The mail program is Forté Agent, also a news client - I was an avid usenet member back in the day!

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Fri, Jan 5 2018 12:50 AM

Thanks again for the feedback guys, all very helpful stuff.  ; )

• craigswan
    30,953 Posts
    Wed, Jan 10 2018 3:23 AM

yes .

• Bowl64
    3,085 Posts
    Wed, Jan 10 2018 11:43 PM

My e-mail opened, i use chrome :)

Bjorn

RSS