Forums

Help › Forums

Multiple Hacked Accounts

Tue, Jan 9 2018 7:53 AM (35 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Jan 1 2018 2:03 PM

jayw4862:
    Evidently they can't figure it out, or haven't figured it out. An account that was hacked gifted a ton of Nike balls on Dec. 30 and Dec 31 (yesterday and the day before). The gifter's equipment wouldn't be enough to make the purchases and he also hasn't won enough to even buy 2 sleeves of cheap balls. 

Had there been blitz games played on the account that was being gifted from?

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Mon, Jan 1 2018 3:08 PM

DodgyPutter:
    Had there been blitz games played on the account that was being gifted from?

No.

I'm not sure, but I think that if you play a MP game against a player not on your friend's list, it doesn't show up. the hacked acct hasn't played any Blitz, alt or mp at all according to stats and history. Just several gifting sprees.

The hacking is due to a glitch in/on the mobile app.

• HalHoff
    789 Posts
    Mon, Jan 1 2018 3:45 PM

My members accounts were mobile only

• LouisPeter0
    713 Posts
    Mon, Jan 1 2018 7:12 PM

Time for everyone to change their passwords, as admittedly tedious as that can be.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Mon, Jan 1 2018 11:57 PM

HalHoff:

It does have to do with mobile app. Also, the 2015 window is when WGT brought Mobile out (?). 

Here's what really sad...WGT doesn't have a clue how to stop it. 

Dude really wants to play!!!!! Give in or give up, lol

I know the TG folks have stifled WGT and it's staff on speaking publicly about anything, but this is one time the boys (and girls) in the WGT office need to grow some nads and do the the right thing. Give in, shut the mobile app down, or hire a competent geek-tech, if only temporarily.

• binkybaxter1
    1,556 Posts
    Tue, Jan 2 2018 7:12 AM

you would have thought the 5 people whos accounts were hacked? ? ? ?   might just have posted warnings on this forum, + you also would think  wgt would do their investigating themselves.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Tue, Jan 2 2018 7:29 AM

jayw4862:

HalHoff:

It does have to do with mobile app. Also, the 2015 window is when WGT brought Mobile out (?). 

Here's what really sad...WGT doesn't have a clue how to stop it. 

Dude really wants to play!!!!! Give in or give up, lol

I know the TG folks have stifled WGT and it's staff on speaking publicly about anything, but this is one time the boys (and girls) in the WGT office need to grow some nads and do the the right thing. Give in, shut the mobile app down, or hire a competent geek-tech, if only temporarily.

It may be something that WGT has no control over. On the mobile sign on screen after you have entered your player name there are 2 boxes.

1 is forgot password the other is I never had a password. So obviously at one time you could sign up and play on the mobile app without a password. How hard would it be for an unscrupulous person to type in a player name and chose “I never had a password” and if that player didn’t have a password WGT would give him the ability to set a password. He then has access to the players account without actually hacking anything. This may not be what is happening but it is a possibility. So if any mobile player doesn’t have a password create one immediately 

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Tue, Jan 2 2018 8:09 AM

borntobesting:
    1 is forgot password the other is I never had a password. So obviously at one time you could sign up and play on the mobile app without a password. How hard would it be for an unscrupulous person to type in a player name and chose “I never had a password” and if that player didn’t have a password WGT would give him the ability to set a password. He then has access to the players account without actually hacking anything. This may not be what is happening but it is a possibility. So if any mobile player doesn’t have a password create one immediately 

So, I just logged out on my iPhone and then clicked on "Never had a password." I get a message that the "device isn't recognized." From that I take it that the device had to be registered with WGT to use the option of "never had a password." 

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Tue, Jan 2 2018 8:27 AM

Based on some of the things I have read and what I recall reading about in the past...

if the issue seems to be confined to the mobile platform...it may also be confined to certain mobile platforms such as the "android" platform.

I believe Robert is an apple user so he would not be effected.  Now, if I recall correctly there was a lot of hype or discussion over a "serious security problem" with android, dating back to ....2015!  

2015 appears to be the year all this centers around...

A patch was created but it did not work...I don't know the full history and corrective actions taken since then, but it appears someone has also stumbled across this intentionally or accidentally and been able to exploit this security patch issue.

It sounds like something much more involved than just what WGT can address.  Google appears to also be involved.  

WGT doesn't have control over all of the external mobile devices and services so how can they be expected to fix something like this, they provide a service that "piggy backs" these other platforms...one of which may have a security issue that has gone unresolved.

I do not know any of this with absolute certainty, I am just trying to put a few pieces together myself!

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Tue, Jan 2 2018 9:15 AM

binkybaxter1:
    wgt would do their investigating themselves.

They know who's behind it. The problem lies in fixing the glitch.  

RSS