Forums

Help › Forums

Green speed

Tue, Apr 12 2022 1:18 PM (29 replies)
  • Sevron1
    21 Posts
    Sat, Dec 23 2017 1:28 PM

Need to know the green speed before we get there. Be nice to know if the balls going to check up on that first 8' chip or scoot 8' past. 

• Brofga
    5 Posts
    Tue, Dec 26 2017 7:17 AM

Amen!

• JDSKIER
    6 Posts
    Mon, Jan 1 2018 7:25 AM

Green seeds can be incredibly frustrating. You hit a soft pitch on to the green and it rolls 10-15 feet past your target. Anyone else find this?

• Dreamweaver70
    67 Posts
    Wed, Jan 3 2018 10:41 AM

+1 

on mobile coin games and ctth tiebreakers, would be very helpful to know the green speed from the start.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 3 2018 10:47 AM

JDSKIER:

Green seeds can be incredibly frustrating. You hit a soft pitch on to the green and it rolls 10-15 feet past your target. Anyone else find this?

All the time if you don't use spin or are pitching from rough. If you're close enough, try a chip instead of a soft pitch. They don't roll as far but they also don't carry very far either. Read the shot in reverse view and plan where it lands. Treat it as a putt from there.

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Wed, Jan 3 2018 11:55 AM

JDSKIER:

You should think about adding a 64-degree wedge with decent spin characteristics. If you were to use that for pitches, I think you would find that you'd pretty much eliminate that rollout. Of course, you'd have to get rid of your hybrid. 

• Mchrome
    3 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2018 1:27 PM

Absolutely,  The game touts itself on how realistic it is.

I cannot imagine Jordan or Tiger have ever chipped onto a green without knowing exactly what the stimp number was.

You give us all these useless messages and animations between games - how about providing us with some useful information?

Like:

The name of the course we are about to play, the conditions, the green speed etc.

• BackdoorHippie
    51 Posts
    Wed, Apr 18 2018 3:36 AM

My longest single complaint about the game. There's a box with wind speed and direction, and yardage in the upper left corner, along with a flagstick. If there's not room up there for a line of text with the green speed at least color-code the flagstick to give us an idea. Use a scale from blue (slow) to red (tournament) moving through shades of green and yellow as you get faster. It's not a hard thing to do.

Or simply give it to us whenever we select the putter, regardless of where we are - and especially around the greens when it can be selected on a chip to get a more accurate read. It would be great to know on an approach, but if I'm close enough where you can give me the lay of the green then there's no lack of expectation that a player should also know how fast it is.

As for the comment on wanting to know for the CTTH tie-breakers, in my experience the green speed is consistent with what it was during the match, as is the wind.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Apr 18 2018 10:31 AM

Many will disagree with me, but to eliminate working about green speed surprizes, inside 40 yards, I use the flop shot.  It lands soft, takes out all the undulations of the green, and stops very close to the hole for a tap in. At worse case, maybe 8 foot putt.  I suggest this, espically for the coin games on mobile.

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Wed, Apr 18 2018 12:27 PM

I still hold to the position that all you need are decent wedges and a decent ball (i.e. a ball with spin of 3.5 or above). With that combination, a player shouldn't have to worry about green speeds for any shot from the fairway with a wedge. 

RSS