• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Fri, Dec 8 2017 1:20 AM

It seems there are 4 top long drivers in the game:

- L96 Callaway Big Bertha 287y

- L98 Taylormade R1 8.0  287y 

- L100 Callaway Fusion  287y

- L103 Taylormade R1 9.0 289y

I have read a few threads and comparisons.

No reviews however on the L100 Fusion driver since this one is relatively new.

It is much more expensive than the L96 and L98 so this should imply it is better.

Has anyone compared the L100 to the other drivers and has an opinion of whether it’s better than the L96/L98?

Anyone?

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Mon, Dec 11 2017 8:18 PM

I've used all the top drivers.  Have the L100 Callaway just because I'm a Callaway fan in real golf equipment. 

Only reason it cost my ( my thoughts at least) is the slower meter speed.  Which would match your irons and 3 wd. 

I recently jumped to the L100 Callaways and can say I'm not as affected by the meter speed difference as much as I thought I would.

Bottom line, IMHO, you can't go wrong with any of the top drivers.  Honestly I'm ready for a change just to have something different.   Being that the "upcoming product releases"  thread is way outdated (last updated back in April),  I'm hoping a new driver is in the near future.  Something Callaway and over L100 just for fun.

• AlaskanDame
    18,872 Posts
    Mon, Dec 11 2017 8:52 PM

I bought the level 95 Nike driver when it was available --- the Callaway Fusion took its place when the Nikes weren't sold any longer, except that it was bumped to level 100.  They both have the same attributes except the Fusion meter is 4.2 and my Nike is 4.0.  Love my Nike --- wish I had bought the Nike 3W before it "sold out."  I always have trouble with a meter jump on Callaway balls.  Not sure if that would be true of Callaway driver or not.  Glad to have the Nike and not have to find out.  :)

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Dec 12 2017 4:08 AM

Bought the 1st one available at Lvl 96, and won't look at them again.  I'm hitting the fairway so don't need the slower meter and the extra 2 yards the Lvl 103 might bring is hardly worth it.

I suppose one should never say never, but as of now have no plans to buy another driver.

As already said, any one of the 4 are good, and you'll hardly notice a difference between them.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Dec 12 2017 5:31 AM

kavvz:
    any one of the 4 are good, and you'll hardly notice a difference between them.

I agree although, IMO, the 8 degree R1 had certain advantages over the 9 degree ones. The lower flight is less affected by wind and with top spin will roll forever on the links courses. I have yet to encounter a situation where the yardage or loft has been an issue and the forgiveness is exceptional.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Dec 12 2017 6:36 AM

Good point Jim; hadn't considered the flight trajectory.  

It could be beneficial to carry both and stick the 8 degree in the bag when required.

• AlaskanDame
    18,872 Posts
    Tue, Dec 12 2017 9:17 AM

kavvz:

extra 2 yards the Lvl 103 might bring is hardly worth it.

Only a 300-yarder would tempt me now.  Maybe 295.  If you can't significantly improve the attributes that are good for your game (meter, precision, forgiveness), a new driver should at least let you use one notch shorter iron for improved accuracy of your second shot.  2 yards of difference won't do that.

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Tue, Dec 12 2017 11:13 AM

Thanks for your input.

I have used the L96 and L98 for two free hours and found the L96 meter much more easier to hit. The L98 seemed longer at some shots but also much lower. As I only played for 2 hours with them it doesnt mean anything.

I agree on paper the L100 matches my other clubs better but I am a little fed up trying to level up fast just because of the equipment. Two weeks ago I bought the callaway L97 irons, L99 wood and two wedges. So a long driver and perhaps the L98 putter would complete my equipment.

I am now 20 days away from L100 and was just curious if the L100 fusion driver really had some big benefits over the L96/L98.The meterspeed seems not that big an advantage and not reading other benefits.

The L103 is too far away except If WGT would offer the Black L99 one as a chrismas bonus.

Any idea when the product release will happen (x-mas?) and if we can really expect new high-end equipment / driver?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Dec 12 2017 12:02 PM

JohanTV:
    The meterspeed seems not that big an advantage

You have 4 different meter speeds in your bag right now and that tends to make swing consistency difficult. By way of comparison, my 3W is one speed and all the other clubs are the same, including the driver. 

I realize you dropped a bunch on the ones you have now (which makes this moot) but instead of looking at what's coming, maybe think about addressing the meter speed disparity? If you're OK with all the different speeds, fine but it makes a difference if they're all the same.

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Tue, Dec 12 2017 12:37 PM

JohanTV:
    The meterspeed seems not that big an advantage

I interpreted hpurey comments as that the slower meter speed of the L100 wasnt that big a difference with the faster L96/L98.

I agree that same meterspeed is a plus and my preference is the L100 or L103 driver as they match my clubs best for meterspeed. It’s only just such a long wait....lol.

For the rest I do not agree my clubs are inconsistent for meterspeed. Only the Clevelands have a faster meter but are in the bag as they are the best, certainly the 64 L80 wedge is great.

RSS